• I don't care as long as they are quiet, still and out of the way

Votes: 187 83.1%
  • I am now aware of HNSP etiquette and will be using it in the future

Votes: 3 1.3%

• Total voters

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Can someone quote the "accepted convention" please coz I can't be botherred trawling back through this lot to try and find it....

I was taught from a young age by some gnarled old Glasgow muni golfers that it is best and good etiquette to stand facing a player teeing off. And so that is what I do when others are teeing off - unless they ask me to move of course.

Ta

There you go...

Pin-seeker

Visit site
I really don't mind as long as my playing partners are quiet and pretty still when I tee off.
I wouldn't have a problem if some one asked me to stand else where whilst they tee off(it's really not a problem is it)

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In the grand scheme of things..... Does it really matter where people stand?

Seriously!

If you're having a round of golf with me, you can stand where ever you like. My focus isn't on where my playing partners/competitors are standing. My focus is on the ball and playing my shot.

Why would you be remotely bothered where people stand? I don't understand the premise of the question as to why it matters?

This.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
There you go...

Oh I thank you - I really do. This is so simple but clearly lots of folk get it wrong without realising it :) I hope that they take on board what they did not know - I am glad to be of service.

And btw this is nothing to do with crusty old majors (believe me - the old guys I played with on the Glasgow muni I started on were far from that) - it is all to do with showing respect and consideration to your PP.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I really don't mind as long as my playing partners are quiet and pretty still when I tee off.
I wouldn't have a problem if some one asked me to stand else where whilst they tee off(it's really not a problem is it)

It obviously is for some, they feel they shouldn't have to ask, we should all know our place!!

D

Deleted member 15344

Oh I thank you - I really do. This is so simnple but clearly lots of folk get it wrong without realising it :) I hope that they take on board what they did not know. And btw this is nothing to do with crusty old majors - it is all to do with showing respect and consideration to your PP.

Are you being serious ?

There is no right or wrong place unless you can show me something written down in a rule book

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Oh I thank you - I really do. This is so simnple but clearly lots of folk get it wrong without realising it :) I hope that they take on board what they did not know. And btw this is nothing to do with crusty old majors - it is all to do with showing respect and consideration to your PP.

Why is it better to face them rather than be behind them?
Stood facing their rear-end there's no chance of being seen........just getting a follow-through instead....

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I was taught from a young age by some gnarled old Glasgow muni golfers that it is best and good etiquette to stand facing a player teeing off. And so that is what I do when others are teeing off - unless they ask me to move of course.

Who says they had it right? Or is this just what they prefer?

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site

In all seriousness mate, I have absolutely no issue with standing wherever my PP wants me to stand. If they ask me to stand in a certain position on the first tee, then I'll stand in that position all day without any complaint. I have no wish to disrupt someones concentration..
However, I do think that the accepted convention should be "Still and Quiet, and in a position to watch the ball when it's struck."

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Are you being serious ?

There is no right or wrong place unless you can show me something written down in a rule book

Its not often I will agree with you, but, I'm with you on this one. Once I'm stood in a particular place, still and quiet, that's it, if a left hander and then a right hander goes to the tee, I ain't shuffling about, I'm staying putt, unless asked politely to move.

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
In all seriousness mate, I have absolutely no issue with standing wherever my PP wants me to stand. If they ask me to stand in a certain position on the first tee, then I'll stand in that position all day without any complaint. I have no wish to disrupt someones concentration..
However, I do think that the accepted convention should be "Still and Quiet, and in a position to watch the ball when it's struck."

Is the right answer :thup:

D

Deleted member 15344

Sounds right to me

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Oh I thank you - I really do. This is so simple but clearly lots of folk get it wrong without realising it :) I hope that they take on board what they did not know - I am glad to be of service.

And btw this is nothing to do with crusty old majors (believe me - the old guys I played with on the Glasgow muni I started on were far from that) - it is all to do with showing respect and consideration to your PP.

What you are saying is ill informed rubbish - exactly the same sort of rubbish as my missus got told by some crusty old wifey when she started and now she's prone to holding up play by standing exactly opposite her FC for their second shot instead of walking briskly to her ball to play her shot as soon as possible.

It's never been the accepted convention that you stand directly opposite the player who is on the tee - it is accepted convention that you stay still and quiet and out of their way.