• I don't care as long as they are quiet, still and out of the way

Votes: 187 83.1%
  • I am now aware of HNSP etiquette and will be using it in the future

Votes: 3 1.3%

• Total voters

cleanstrike

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Sorry - but you guys clearly don't really get what I am saying. .

The accepted protocol was that you stood facing the player about to tee off i.e. if he raised his chin he could see you - and that was universally accepted. Nothing about the game has changed over the decades in respect of how we tee off - so why are some here telling me that they know better than what became accepted. Why do you think you know better? Do you not think that over the development of the game others have had the same thoughts as you? But a protocol was developed and accepted as being the most appropriate for most players in most circumstances.

Jeez. It's not difficult.

I appreciate that it's not usually the done thing to attack a poster on these forums but in light of your argument I am left with little choice but to conclude that you really are quite insane. Do you really expect anyone with half a brain working to stand in front of someone that's just about to loose off a shot from the tee? That would undoubtedly qualify for a gross stupidity award.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

OK - perhaps I may be imagining this and perhaps I haven't actually ever been told to move to where I should stand. Perhaps. Perhaps I was only trying to help. Can't imagine why I bothered now.

But you are telling everyone else that they are wrong where they are currently standing - you are talking as if it's an actual rule and that we should all know exactly where to stand - based on what someone told you in Glasgow one day

Do you not see how ridiculous that is ?

There is no right place where to stand - you keep coming up with phrases like "universally accepted " and "accepted convention" but no one but you on here has even heard about this nonsense so how can it be universally accepted.

This must be a wind up

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I was supposed to take the dog a walk an hour ago but I'm glued to this, when are the comedy awards on, has to be a contender..

I'm just a bit pissed off with this. I try and indicate where I came to understand and have had confirmed over 40+yrs of playing the game where the best place to stand is to minimise distraction to a player teeing off - and I'm getting laughed at as being a prize idiot. And that I really, really don't get.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If I can tell a FC where I'd like him to stand can I also tell them how to stand? In a 4 ball I'm currently favouring the idea of the 3 wise monkeys in the Hear no evil, See no evil, Speak no evil poses for each of my fellow FC's. Or if I'm playing with a grumpy old sod get him to stand like a teapot.

Last edited:

Allanxyz

Head Pro
Visit site
If it was universally accepted can you please provide a link to a website outlining such protocol?

I think that this "universally accepted" protocal is a load of tosh... but something doesn't have to be written on a website or even written down to be universally accepted... that's complete rubbish.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I think that this "universally accepted" protocal is a load of tosh... but something doesn't have to be written on a website or even written down to be universally accepted... that's complete rubbish.

Well as @Doon suggested (way back at start and quoted below) I am not alone - no matter what the rest of you might think

Spot on Hogan.
The only time it is correct to stand behind someone is when it is into a setting sun to follow their ball flight.
After asking your FC of course.

If someone stands behind me I would consider them to be a beginner who has yet to learn the game. They would soon be told to shift.

...and I did also say that I am very much less bothered about players standing behind me than I am about them looking down my line - but the fact I am less bothered is not the point.

Last edited:

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
Great - and so if I tell you what I was taught all those years ago (and have had confirmed to me over a period of >40yrs playing the game) to be the accepted convention, then you'll maybe follow - not my advice - but the advice of our golfing predecessors?

If you went with the majority on this thread, you would be vastly outnumbered. So are we all wrong?

Allanxyz

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm just a bit pissed off with this. I try and indicate where I came to understand and have had confirmed over 40+yrs of playing the game where the best place to stand is to minimise distraction to a player teeing off - and I'm getting laughed at as being a prize idiot. And that I really, really don't get.

I'm sure there are people who've had 40+yrs of playing experience and stand in a different location to minimise distraction. They're probably on golf wrx talking about their "universally accepted" standing position as we speak...

Fish

Banned
Visit site

Maybe the other 163 posts before this one is a clue.

You've just toned it down now to where I came to understand and best place to stand is, both these statements are nothing like your 'conventions and universally accepted' are they.

Back tracking now me thinks ;)

G

guest100718

But you are telling everyone else that they are wrong where they are currently standing - you are talking as if it's an actual rule and that we should all know exactly where to stand - based on what someone told you in Glasgow one day

Do you not see how ridiculous that is ?

There is no right place where to stand - you keep coming up with phrases like "universally accepted " and "accepted convention" but no one but you on here has even heard about this nonsense so how can it be universally accepted.

This must be a wind up

There are cetainly wrong places to stand.

D

Deleted member 15344

What happens if you're playing with a left hander ?!

Do you expect everyone to shuffle across the tee when he tees up :D

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Years ago I was told that Santa Claus was real and I presumed because this fella from Glasgow told me it was universally accepted to be true.

Just shows you eh?

Comedy Gold. I'm off to replenish my popcorn supplies.

I really don't actually believe Hogan isny just taken the pure pish,he has to be guys.

Allanxyz

Head Pro
Visit site
Well as @Doon suggested (way back at start and quoted below) I am not alone - no matter what the rest of you might think

...and I did also say that I am very much less bothered about players standing behind me than I am about them looking down my line - but the fact I am less bothered is not the point.

Ok, tosh was maybe a bit strong...I'm with you that 80% of the time that is where people tend to stand... but from my experience of 15 years of golf I've never seen anyone leave their bag and walk accross the teeing ground in order to get in front of the person teeing off. They just stand behind the back of the person teeing off next to their bag.

If this the universally accepted protocal then I find it hard to believe that nobody I've ever come across has followed it.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I can see slh point, if playing with the ladies, as you can get a sneaky peek down the top, but then you miss her bum bending over. I guess sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.