• I don't care as long as they are quiet, still and out of the way

Votes: 187 83.1%
  • I am now aware of HNSP etiquette and will be using it in the future

Votes: 3 1.3%

• Total voters

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Sorry - but you guys clearly don't really get what I am saying. .

The accepted protocol was that you stood facing the player about to tee off i.e. if he raised his chin he could see you - and that was universally accepted. Nothing about the game has changed over the decades in respect of how we tee off - so why are some here telling me that they know better than what became accepted. Why do you think you know better? Do you not think that over the development of the game others have had the same thoughts as you? But a protocol was developed and accepted as being the most appropriate for most players in most circumstances.

Jeez. It's not difficult.

It's not universally accepted though, no-one apart from you and Doon (and possibly Jimbob) have ever been told this and the R&A etiquette section doesn't state this. You may have been told this and you may believe it to be true but it is far from universally accepted and it certainly isn't etiquette according to the R&A. It also doesn't make sense, standing facing the player about to tee off is quite possibly the worst place I could think for someone to stand if they were trying not to put someone off.

I am getting the impression that this is like some of the "rules" we hear from time to time, someone tells someone and it becomes gospel.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
so on a raised tee and someone teeing off on the far right of the box we have to all huddle together and hang on to each other on a steep bank just to get in front of the player:lol:

C'mon SHL, we all get it and we all stand still and respect our FC's wishes when an FC tee's off, or on any shot they subsequently make. :thup:

Pin-seeker

Visit site
I can see slh point, if playing with the ladies, as you can get a sneaky peek down the top, but then you miss her bum bending over. I guess sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

:rofl: :rofl:
With the ladies I see on the course it's more a lose,lose:mad:

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
I remember playing Pleasington GC and was stood facing Birchy for his second shot into a long Par 4. I was about 20 yards to the side of him when he sliced his 3 wood so badly that I had to jump over the ball as it flew at me at about 150mph.. I'll not be making that mistake again..:D

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Well as @Doon suggested (way back at start and quoted below) I am not alone - no matter what the rest of you might think

Spot on Hogan.
The only time it is correct to stand behind someone is when it is into a setting sun to follow their ball flight.
After asking your FC of course.

If someone stands behind me I would consider them to be a beginner who has yet to learn the game. They would soon be told to shift.

Doon isn't agreeing with you SILH - he's saying you shouldn't stand behind THE LINE of the ball unless spotting into a low Sun....
That's accepted........He's not saying anything, in this quote anyway, about standing facing your rear or your front....

DCB

Visit site
I though that the average forum member, after putting on their glove and taking their usual preshot routine, would be so 'in the zone' that nothing would put them off their task of spanking the ball 285 yds down the fairway :p

Salt or Buttered Dodger ? ;)

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
Fair play, SLH will stand his corner.

Heaven help us if you stood behind home using your range finder!!!

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
I though that the average forum member, after putting on their glove and taking their usual preshot routine, would be so 'in the zone' that nothing would put them off their task of spanking the ball 285 yds down the fairway :p

285?? Gripping down on a 5 wood??

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I though that the average forum member, after putting on their glove and taking their usual preshot routine, would be so 'in the zone' that nothing would put them off their task of spanking the ball 285 yds down the fairway with a 7 iron :p

Salt or Buttered Dodger ? ;)

Fixed that for you David :thup:

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think I'd be able to see the explosion from here if anyone ever stood behind SILH, whilst talking on their phone and lasering the fairway bunker at 350yds...:D

I admire your conviction SILH, it's a trait that many people don't have unfortunately...

Fader

Tour Winner
Visit site
285?? Gripping down on a 5 wood??

5 Wood... You losing yards with age surely it's no more than a soft 6iron!

A for this thread it's better than a soap opera (mind that isn't hard)..

I'm not going to attack anyone but IMO for something to be universally accepted means its known to the majority! whereas on here only possibly 2 people know this is the accepted method.

Personally I don't think it matters where people stand as long as they aren't distracting me. I certainly wouldn't care if they were off the tee box at their bag out of the way if anything I'd prefer that as it means they're getting ready to walk off to their ball and not hanging about unduly slowing things down.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Have to stand to imurgs right looking straight down his intended line as to be brutally honest, it could go anywhere.

having said that..........
He would say exactly the same about mine

Aint life grand :)