• I don't care as long as they are quiet, still and out of the way

Votes: 187 83.1%
  • I am now aware of HNSP etiquette and will be using it in the future

Votes: 3 1.3%

• Total voters

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Sorry - but you guys clearly don't really get what I am saying. .

The accepted protocol was that you stood facing the player about to tee off i.e. if he raised his chin he could see you - and that was universally accepted. Nothing about the game has changed over the decades in respect of how we tee off - so why are some here telling me that they know better than what became accepted. Why do you think you know better? Do you not think that over the development of the game others have had the same thoughts as you? But a protocol was developed and accepted as being the most appropriate for most players in most circumstances.

Jeez. It's not difficult.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Where should you stand if they are very high handicappers, and they are crap and dangerous? We once stood in line with Scouser but behind him and he nutmegged himself and one of us and nearly went out of bounds in the ditch behind our 18th tee. Can we also have an standing etiquette guide for if they are right munters or wearing bright yellow 80's pringle jumpers?

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk

The accepted protocol was that you stood facing the player about to tee off i.e. if he raised his chin he could see you - and that was universally accepted. Nothing about the game has changed over the decades in respect of how we tee off - so why are some here telling me that they know better than what became accepted. Why do you think you know better? Do you not think that over the development of the game others have had the same thoughts as you? But a protocol was developed and accepted as being the most appropriate for most players in most circumstances.

Accepted protocol at one muni in Scotland - thanks for entertaining me today though - brilliant thread

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site

If it was universally accepted can you please provide a link to a website outlining such protocol?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
In all seriousness mate, I have absolutely no issue with standing wherever my PP wants me to stand. If they ask me to stand in a certain position on the first tee, then I'll stand in that position all day without any complaint. I have no wish to disrupt someones concentration..
However, I do think that the accepted convention should be "Still and Quiet, and in a position to watch the ball when it's struck."

Great - and so if I tell you what I was taught all those years ago (and have had confirmed to me over a period of >40yrs playing the game) to be the accepted convention, then you'll maybe follow - not my advice - but the advice of our golfing predecessors?

D

Deleted member 15344

If it is universally accepted then how come only you know about it ?

Are you sure you're not on a wind up ?

Is this written down anywhere and why don't anyone of us know about it ?

Fish

Banned
Visit site

Just when you think this might start to wain, this little beauty arrives :rofl:

D

Deleted member 15344

Great - and so if I tell you what I was taught all those years ago (and have had confirmed to me over a period of >40yrs playing the game) to be the accepted convention, then you'll maybe follow - not my advice - but the advice of our golfing predecessors?

Sorry but you are talking twaddle

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
If it is universally accepted then how come only you know about it ?

Are you sure you're not on a wind up ?

Is this written down anywhere and why don't anyone of us know about it ?

OK - perhaps I may be imagining this and perhaps I haven't actually ever been told to move to where I should stand. Perhaps. Perhaps I was only trying to help. Can't imagine why I bothered now.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
OK - perhaps I may be imagining this and perhaps I haven't actually ever been told to move to where I should stand. Perhaps. Perhaps I was only trying to help. Can't imagine why I bothered now.

You may well have been told but who were they to say that that was right at that time? You cannot use certain terms which refer to facts when they have no substance, like universally accepted :smirk: