• I don't care as long as they are quiet, still and out of the way

Votes: 187 83.1%
  • I am now aware of HNSP etiquette and will be using it in the future

Votes: 3 1.3%

• Total voters

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
When I started playing I was told it was best to stand opposite the player teeing off when practically possible ( this is only for teeing off and other shots you should be ready at your ball to play so long as not in front of any player still to play )
If opposite was not possible, stand away from the player teeing and be ready to take your turn.
At my club this happens at 10 tees , stand opposite and on the other 8 you stand behind the player teeing off, it is the most practical place to be as that is the way the course is laid out.
I follow these general principles when playing away and not encountered any problems .

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Oh I thank you - I really do. This is so simple but clearly lots of folk get it wrong without realising it :) I hope that they take on board what they did not know - I am glad to be of service.

And btw this is nothing to do with crusty old majors (believe me - the old guys I played with on the Glasgow muni I started on were far from that) - it is all to do with showing respect and consideration to your PP.

Showing respect to your partner is being quiet and moving if asked. I would suggest from the responses to this post that the most inconsiderate view on this post is yours. I have seen no official rule on where to stand. So just because you were told way back when where to stand. What makes their polio on the be all and end all?

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Showing respect to your partner is being quiet and moving if asked. I would suggest from the responses to this post that the most inconsiderate view on this post is yours. I have seen no official rule on where to stand. So just because you were told way back when where to stand. What makes their polio on the be all and end all?

So, question to SILH, if you were asked to move, would you, or would you argue that you were indeed in the right place?

jimbob.someroo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thank you all. I've just been in a meeting for last hour and came back to the best thread of the past few months by a mile. I had posted in the 'this time of year thread' about this getting a bit tedious a long while ago but it's certainly gained a new lease of life in the last couple of hours :rofl:

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I can see slh point, if playing with the ladies, as you can get a sneaky peek down the top, but then you miss her bum bending over. I guess sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

Brillaint! All though the ladies are at my place have 20/30 years on me. So I'd need to look nearer the ground to see either!

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Phew I posted on page 5 drove home and now on page 22!

Although I do kinda like how it was etiquette then protocol then convention then universally accepted but not sure where it'll go next

Cracking thread Gromit!

Jon321

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Haven't read much of these 22 pages but I'm guessing everyone has too much time on their hands if there can be this much on where you like people standing. As long as they aren't moving about I couldn't care less.

fenwayrich

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I started playing 40 odd years ago, so my memory is a little cloudy, but I can't remember being taught anything other than to stand still and be quiet when my playing partners are playing.

I will usually stand on whichever side of the tee I have placed my bag to ensure the game proceeds quickly. I would of course move if asked politely to do so, but when it is my shot I am not remotely concerned where people stand.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Don't you listen......you have to ask Doon :thup:

Hells teeth I am starting to get worried now.
Perhaps I should clarify some old school thoughts.

Standing behind the player means standing at the back of the tee looking directly down the line of the fairway. Probably the most inconsiderate place to be and only done by folk who do not have a clue about golf. [Unless offered or asked to do so by FC into a low sun.]

Every one seems to have totally missed the point that the conventional place to stand is also the safest place for any FC,
Clubs slip out of hands, heads come off clubs etc.

Re 5.5 hour rounds with Hogan and I. Not much hope as you will probably be struggling to keep up with the old boys and would be gasping for breath after a couple of holes.

I'll catch up with the rest soon. Although most of it seems to be a load of drivel written by people who play at places like The B....

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site

Standing behind the player means standing at the back of the tee looking directly down the line of the fairway. Probably the most inconsiderate place to be and only done by folk who do not have a clue about golf. [Unless offered or asked to do so by FC into a low sun.]

Every one seems to have totally missed the point that the conventional place to stand is also the safest place for any FC,

Re 5.5 hour rounds with Hogan and I. Not much hope as you will probably be struggling to keep up with the old boys and would be gasping for breath after a couple of holes.

I'll catch up with the rest soon. Although most of it seems to be a load of drivel written by people who play at places like The B....

In your 40 years of golf how many times have you seen a head come off or club let go? Granted I'm only 18 months in. But I'm yet to have seen either Occur so won't factor these in too highly In regards to my safety. I still think the main thing people have objected to. During this thread is the terms used as me mentioned before such as 'conventional'. With a thread 20+ pages long and with only your good self and slh advocating your precise standing location is correct. I would suggest the conventional place mah not actually exist.

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

Standing behind the player means standing at the back of the tee looking directly down the line of the fairway. Probably the most inconsiderate place to be and only done by folk who do not have a clue about golf.
[Unless offered or asked to do so by FC into a low sun.]

What absolute balderdash.

Justify your claim please.

Last edited by a moderator: