Votes: 187 83.1%
  • I am now aware of HNSP etiquette and will be using it in the future

Votes: 3 1.3%

• Total voters

john0

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Re: Where Playing Partners Stand when I tee off POLL

SILH is now creating numberous email accounts in order to setup new usernames so he can have more than one vote

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In summary, based on historical best practice, everyone should really stand where he stated as it was traditionally the right thing to do.

But isn't that the reason that this thread has gone on for over 700 posts? The assertion that in front facing the player is the traditional place to stand/based on historical best practice/HNSP or whatever else you wish to call it. I don't argue that it is where SILH was told to stand but to then say that this where everyone used to stand is totally incorrect. Myself and others have pointed out that we have played with people of a similar generation/age who don't follow this universally accepted practice but SILH, DfT and others seem to conveniently ignore these posts, probably because this evidence doesn't back up their argument.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Was chatting to my MiL about this subject, a lady who took up this great game nearly 60 years ago, and one of the first things she was taught was to "Stand over there ( as in the video ) and never never stand behind the player teeing off "
This game is a changing for sure .

Surely the first thing a lady taking up Golf 60 years ago would have been taught was "this is the bar Dear, Gentlemen only."

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
But isn't that the reason that this thread has gone on for over 700 posts? The assertion that in front facing the player is the traditional place to stand/based on historical best practice/HNSP or whatever else you wish to call it. I don't argue that it is where SILH was told to stand but to then say that this where everyone used to stand is totally incorrect. Myself and others have pointed out that we have played with people of a similar generation/age who don't follow this universally accepted practice but SILH, DfT and others seem to conveniently ignore these posts, probably because this evidence doesn't back up their argument.

On the Professional tours on virtually every tee you see the players and caddies standing in the "traditional " place why do you suppose that is?

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
On the Professional tours on virtually every tee you see the players and caddies standing in the "traditional " place why do you suppose that is?

I'll be completely honest, I've never noticed them all traipse to the other side of the tee box when a left hooker tees up though..

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Normally I see them standing towards the back corner of the teeing ground not standing directly facing and opposite the player hitting. And I certainly haven't seen them all shuffle across to the other side of the tee if a leftie is hitting. I'm sure that someone posted some pics earlier in the thread showing pro golfers and their caddies standing in various different positions.

D

Deleted member 1147

But isn't that the reason that this thread has gone on for over 700 posts?

No, it's gone that far because people keep coming back to it, saying essentially the same thing but in slightly different ways, and arguing the same point over & over again.

I tend to stand as SiLH says, not because I think the player on the tee is paranoid that I'm doing something behind his back, or because a Jock told me it's the proper way back in the day, but because I find it easier to see where the ball went.
But sometimes I stand the other side, I've never felt this to be poor etiquette...and if the player about to drive told me he thought it was poor etiquette I probably would start doing things behind their back.

Golf already has a reputation for being snobby and boring, this sort of stuff justifies that reputation.

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
That is a contradiction in terms and I disagree. How anyone can be insulted (a strong term) by the posts in question is beyond me.

I think SILH has debated this subject quite fairly really.

All that said, this whole subject is a mountain made from a molehill.

In summary, based on historical best practice, everyone should really stand where he stated as it was traditionally the right thing to do. However, it is clear from this thread that this is something that has now in general terms, disappeared from club golf. If this is the case, I think it is a bit of a shame but no big deal really. Stand wherever and keep quiet and still seems to be fair enough.

The disappearance of this quirk though is based on an interesting assumption which is - are the members of this forum deemed to be an accurate representation of the golfing community in the UK. I would suggest not but that is the subject for a whole new thread.

You had no issue with standing behind, down the line or in fact forward to the left going for another club whilst I teed off @ Hayling. Not changing your tune again are you?

Last edited:

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Normally I see them standing towards the back corner of the teeing ground not standing directly facing and opposite the player hitting. And I certainly haven't seen them all shuffle across to the other side of the tee if a leftie is hitting. I'm sure that someone posted some pics earlier in the thread showing pro golfers and their caddies standing in various different positions.
The question is " why do you think they chose to stand there? "

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Re: Where Playing Partners Stand when I tee off POLL

Option 4
Being quiet
Not shuffling around
Not playing with their phone