• I don't care as long as they are quiet, still and out of the way

Votes: 187 83.1%
  • I am now aware of HNSP etiquette and will be using it in the future

Votes: 3 1.3%

• Total voters

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Which is why I said virtually, again the same question and it's an open one to all " why do they choose to stand there ?"

Those are just three of hundreds or possibly thousands of similar photos so it's not virtually all. I would say they stand there so they don't get hit by the ball and are out of the way.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why's that then ? I assume you watch professional tournaments , certainly seems to me they are on the right hand side virtually all of the time .

And it seems to me there are many occasions where they are not, more than enough to make the assertion "virtually" all the time as inaccurate.

And as it is my opinion vs yours, neither of us can prove the other wrong so we should simply agree to disagree and move on.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
And it seems to me there are many occasions where they are not, more than enough to make the assertion "virtually" all the time as inaccurate.

And as it is my opinion vs yours, neither of us can prove the other wrong so we should simply agree to disagree and move on.

That's a very defeatist attitude get. You could spend the next 6 hours going through Google and put together a collage of 100's of photos proving your point that it isn't virtually all. Go on, go for it. :)

S

Snelly

But isn't that the reason that this thread has gone on for over 700 posts? The assertion that in front facing the player is the traditional place to stand/based on historical best practice/HNSP or whatever else you wish to call it. I don't argue that it is where SILH was told to stand but to then say that this where everyone used to stand is totally incorrect. Myself and others have pointed out that we have played with people of a similar generation/age who don't follow this universally accepted practice but SILH, DfT and others seem to conveniently ignore these posts, probably because this evidence doesn't back up their argument.

You have taken one sentence from my post and ignored the rest which conveniently fits your reply.

That aside, the assertion is correct. Standing in this place on the tee was a broadly accepted maxim over 30 years ago when I was taught to play. Everyone I play golf with knows this. Everyone at my club when I was a kid knew this. It was a universal truth.

I am not ignoring your view. I just know that you are wrong. Everyone disagreeing with this is wrong to a greater or lesser extent.

This frankly ridiculous thread can now be summarised as people that KNEW a thing for a fact 30 odd years ago because they experienced it first hand are being belittled and derided by another section of the forum membership who don't know said thing because they haven't heard of it, and consequently believe it must be codswallop, a view given credence by the apparent majority opinion on the subject.

It is not. And just because you have texted your Great Aunt Fanny and she can't remember it either is neither here nor there.

This thread is a vocal majority arguing around semantics and slating a minority who are in broad terms, quite correct. How some of the things have been said on this thread (as Bobmac sagaciously pointed out earlier) are the cause of the problem, rather than what has been posted.

And all for what? A petty issue about something that in the grand scheme of things, really doesn't matter....

I would also add that we (or at least I am) are referencing something from a time when golf was quite different in members clubs with far fewer members so less anecdotal evidence on hand, far more rules, more rigorous adherence to convention and consequently an average golf club in England was a much more formal environment. All relevant as a backdrop to this debate in my view.

Last edited:

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
Stop being so blinking agreeable...:D

Oh, and someone slap bones wrists will they...

[video=youtube_share;c_05nnKuNoE]http://youtu.be/c_05nnKuNoE[/video]

Convention breaking, upstart, new to the game no doubt. Incorrect generation to know better.

I'd hope that puts a cap on this and we all continue to stand where it's safe for everyone.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
That's a very defeatist attitude get. You could spend the next 6 hours going through Google and put together a collage of 100's of photos proving your point that it isn't virtually all. Go on, go for it. :)

I'll leave that nonsense, ahem I mean research to others.

I have golf clubs & shoes to clean as it's the weekend tomorrow and neither of the two courses at my club are flooded. :fore:

Allanxyz

Head Pro
Visit site
This thread is a vocal majority arguing around semantics and slating a minority who are in broad terms, quite correct. How some of the things have been said on this thread (as Bobmac sagaciously pointed out earlier) are the cause of the problem, rather than what has been posted.

And all for what? A petty issue about something that in the grand scheme of things, really doesn't matter....

This is broadly a golf forum, if you were expecting issues of world peace and global economics to be discussed then I'm afraid you'll be disappointed fairly often. Most things here are petty and don't matter in the grand scheme of things.

One question, do you also skip across to the other side of the tee when a left hander comes on or if the path happens to be on the left of teeing ground? From a previous post of someone who's played with you it would appear not...

S

Snelly

This is broadly a golf forum, if you were expecting issues of world peace and global economics to be discussed then I'm afraid you'll be disappointed fairly often. Most things here are petty and don't matter in the grand scheme of things.

One question, do you also skip across to the other side of the tee when a left hander comes on or if the path happens to be on the left of teeing ground? From a previous post of someone who's played with you it would appear not...

Generally yes I do although I tend not to skip. And I also try an avoid left handed players full stop as they are inconvenient and there is generally something funny about them.

That said, I am not in truth, a stickler for standing in the spot in question. If I am first on the tee I will always stand there but if I don't venture on to the tee at all until it is my shot then I obviously will not.

Lastly, when I said it was petty, I meant relative to the world of golf rather than to global events. (I was tempted to use the roll eyes smiley then but won't as whenever I see that on this forum, I get an urge to punch the user of this smiley in the face very hard. Cue use of smiley whenever anyone responds to me in future I suppose.)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Well it was 77 yrs between Perry winning Wimbedon and Murray winning it - and he won it on 7/7 - so maybe on page 77 this will be my last post on the matter. I totally agree with @snelly by the way and my practice is actually just as his,

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Well it was 77 yrs between Perry winning Wimbedon and Murray winning it - and he won it on 7/7 - so maybe on page 77 this will be my last post on the matter. I totally agree with @snelly by the way and my practice is actually just as his,
This only page 26.:ears: Go on reply you know you want to.;)

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site

That you believe in a convention but ignore it and stand where ever you like as long as its safe.

Good, everyone is back in the room.

Play on gentlemen

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

there was lots of others agreed with you :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: wish there was a HUGE rolls eyes smiley ideally covered in tomato sauce :rofl:

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You have taken one sentence from my post and ignored the rest which conveniently fits your reply.

That aside, the assertion is correct. Standing in this place on the tee was a broadly accepted maxim over 30 years ago when I was taught to play. Everyone I play golf with knows this. Everyone at my club when I was a kid knew this. It was a universal truth.

I am not ignoring your view. I just know that you are wrong. Everyone disagreeing with this is wrong to a greater or lesser extent.

This frankly ridiculous thread can now be summarised as people that KNEW a thing for a fact 30 odd years ago because they experienced it first hand are being belittled and derided by another section of the forum membership who don't know said thing because they haven't heard of it, and consequently believe it must be codswallop, a view given credence by the apparent majority opinion on the subject.

It is not. And just because you have texted your Great Aunt Fanny and she can't remember it either is neither here nor there.

I would also add that we (or at least I am) are referencing something from a time when golf was quite different in members clubs with far fewer members so less anecdotal evidence on hand, far more rules, more rigorous adherence to convention and consequently an average golf club in England was a much more formal environment. All relevant as a backdrop to this debate in my view.

What if the way that you, SILH and DfT were taught was incorrect? You seem to assume that anyone that doesn't know this is a newcomer to the game and is unaware of how things were. I first played 32 years ago and I am sure many of the other people on here disagreeing with your point of view also learned that long ago or even longer. If I and plenty of others weren't told this back then maybe it was the way you were taught that was incorrect. We experienced a different view on the etiquette of where to stand 30 odd years ago. In fact when I first went onto the course at the age of 5, to walk round and observe how the game was played before I was even allowed out with a club in my hands, with some of the senior members of the club I was going to join I was told to stand behind the ball (as in opposite the direction the player was going to hit it), not close to the player, not directly behind them (down the line of the ball) and to stand still and be quiet.

So from the above my opinion is that the "universally accepted" etiquette is to stand well away from the player hitting, in an area where you won't get hit by the ball, not directly behind the line of the ball and to stand still and quiet. And just because you keep saying that we are wrong doesn't make it any more true. It might be true that you were taught that but all it means is that at the club you learned at it was accepted. At the clubs I and by the looks of it many others learned at there was a different view.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Just returned from my 18 Friday afternoon sweep and I made a concious effort to stand facing but behind the player teeing off. On 12 holes it was totally impossible, I would have been in danger of oncoming balls from neighbouring approach shots, down embankments, in trees or indeed bushes. On 1 hole it was possible but very awkward and when I walked over to that area, I was glared at as if to say, 'where the frig are you going!' so, on only 5 holes it was comfortably possibly!!

There are also paths beside some tees that you approach which everyone stays on so you are effectively behind the player (his back) and then you walk onto the tee, again if I walked over to the other side just to face him, I was looked upon as if I had grown 2 heads!

I played with 3 players of which 1 was a Cat1 and ex club champion, 1 committee member and another long serving member who between them they had been at the club over 100 years, but it would seem they never knew there was a convention as to where to stand.

So, in conclusion, are clubs at fault for not allowing enough space and area on and around tee blocks to abide with this 'long established', 'universally accepted', 'convention' of where to stand in line with the 'etiquette of golf' because my club is obviously in clear breech of it as it only offers a 28% opportunity to stand in 'your correct position'?

Last edited:

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
What if the way that you, SILH and DfT were taught was incorrect? You seem to assume that anyone that doesn't know this is a newcomer to the game and is unaware of how things were. I first played 32 years ago and I am sure many of the other people on here disagreeing with your point of view also learned that long ago or even longer. If I and plenty of others weren't told this back then maybe it was the way you were taught that was incorrect. We experienced a different view on the etiquette of where to stand 30 odd years ago. In fact when I first went onto the course at the age of 5, to walk round and observe how the game was played before I was even allowed out with a club in my hands, with some of the senior members of the club I was going to join I was told to stand behind the ball (as in opposite the direction the player was going to hit it), not close to the player, not directly behind them (down the line of the ball) and to stand still and be quiet.

So from the above my opinion is that the "universally accepted" etiquette is to stand well away from the player hitting, in an area where you won't get hit by the ball, not directly behind the line of the ball and to stand still and quiet. And just because you keep saying that we are wrong doesn't make it any more true. It might be true that you were taught that but all it means is that at the club you learned at it was accepted. At the clubs I and by the looks of it many others learned at there was a different view.

That is certainly a possiblity.

On doing some research into why caddies go to the right hand side of a tee i did a google search.
On the first page there are links to manuals on how to be a caddy and your responsibilities etc etc . As to where to stand on the tee , the right hand side is generally favoured . That to me suggests some sort of historical significance.
And this link from 1921 http://gsr.lib.msu.edu/1920s/1921/2112246.pdf makes interesting reading

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
That is certainly a possiblity.

On doing some research into why caddies go to the right hand side of a tee i did a google search.
On the first page there are links to manuals on how to be a caddy and your responsibilities etc etc . As to where to stand on the tee , the right hand side is generally favoured . That to me suggests some sort of historical significance.
And this link from 1921 http://gsr.lib.msu.edu/1920s/1921/2112246.pdf makes interesting reading

A very interesting article - I particularly enjoyed the section headed 'Position of Tee-Box'

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just returned from my 18 Friday afternoon sweep and I made a concious effort to stand facing but behind the player teeing off. On 12 holes it was totally impossible, I would have been in danger of oncoming balls from neighbouring approach shots, down embankments, in trees or indeed bushes. On 1 hole it was possible but very awkward and when I walked over to that area, I was glared at as if to say, 'where the frig are you going!' so, on only 5 holes it was comfortably possibly!!

There are also paths beside some tees that you approach which everyone stays on so you are effectively behind the player (his back) and then you walk onto the tee, again if I walked over to the other side just to face him, I was looked upon as if I had grown 2 heads!

I played with 3 players of which 1 was a Cat1 and ex club champion, 1 committee member and another long serving member who between them they had been at the club over 100 years, but it would seem they never knew there was a convention as to where to stand.

So, in conclusion, are clubs at fault for not allowing enough space and area on and around tee blocks to abide with this 'long established', 'universally accepted', 'convention' of where to stand in line with the 'etiquette of golf' because my club is obviously in clear breech of it as it only offers a 28% opportunity to stand in 'your correct position'?

think I mentioned lack of space 600 posts ago:D

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site

I'm still learning at my age,WTF is the BAM position