• I don't care as long as they are quiet, still and out of the way

Votes: 187 83.1%
  • I am now aware of HNSP etiquette and will be using it in the future

Votes: 3 1.3%

• Total voters

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Can I just clarify a point. Are you posting that video in support of SILH? I have to ask, because as far as I am can tell, that video does not support his view. SILH has stated that you should stand facing the golfer on the tee, not to the side and behind (down the line). IMO, that video merely serves to support most everyone else's viewpoint.. It also doesn't state that you should move to the opposite side of the tee box when a lefty approaches. That is SILH's opinion....

Actually it does support what I have said. If you want to disagree and say that what I said or implied was that a player's FCs should all stand on the line of the tee marker rigidly facing him - then go on. But if you think about that for just one second you'll realise that I could not have been suggesting that - as three players can't stand in the same spot.

And so if had been Mickleson doing the video where do you think he would have directed his PP to stand?

D

Deleted member 1147

DMZ?? What is that?

The fairway is a little different though, in that if that were the case, if I had ripped it slightly further, I would hang back and let my PP/FC get to their ball first. I wouldn't be close, and therefore, it doesn't matter where I stand. It only becomes an issue on the teebox because of the lack of space there normally is, compared to the massive fairway.

If someone is 10/15 yards away, as I would be on the fairway, I couldn't care less where they are.

The Demilitarized Zone...a place which, under treaty, enemy forces are banned from entry.

D

Deleted member 1147

IMHO, it's not so much the content of the OP and subsequent posts that some people have a problem with, it's the way it was offered.
Would this thread of had over 650 replies if the OP had read something like.....

I suspect there would have been about 20 replies and maybe a few would be more aware of where they stood on the tee.

There you go again Bob...please stop using common sense!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
furthermore, if it is not my honour, I wont select my club until I have seen how the other players balls react in the wind / when they land. I don't need to know the exact club they used to help me with my own club selection.

if the bags are left at any distance from the teeing pegs, this would add unnecessary time to the round.

Of course - but I suggest that 9 times out of 10 you won't change the club you were going to use off the tee based upon what other players do. Besides - I think that using 'club changing and speed of play' is really just a rather fallatious line of argument in this specific context. The same considerations have always applied - they are nothing new

D

Deleted member 1147

And so if had been Mickleson doing the video where do you think he would have directed his PP to stand?

He probably wouldn't have been so high & mighty as to direct them, he would have been happy with them doing the sensible thing...standing in the rough at his 10pm jiggling the tees in their pockets

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Not really being bothered either way about this whole argument, but I can answer this point. With someone stood behind your back, if you can't see them, you have no idea if they are about to make a noise (accidentaly, not deliberately) by getting something out their bag or suchlike. If they are in front of you, you can see if they are making any movements before you swing.

I think.

Exactly - and probably one reason why a 'HNSP' came to pass.

john0

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
IMHO, it's not so much the content of the OP and subsequent posts that some people have a problem with, it's the way it was offered.
Would this thread of had over 650 replies if the OP had read something like.....

I suspect there would have been about 20 replies and maybe a few would be more aware of where they stood on the tee.

Bob by any chance were you the Senior golfer in the 70's who taught SILH this universally accepted rule on a Glasgow Muni? :D

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I honestly think that SILH has let the standing behind his back get into his head.

Actually @gary - I'm not normally that bothered if someone stands behind me - though if they stood fairly close behind me I might be. Though again - what I might think or be comfortable with doesn't really matter in the context of etiquette.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Actually @gary - I'm not normally that bothered if someone stands behind me - though if they stood fairly close behind me I might be. Though again - what I might think or be comfortable with doesn't really matter in the context of etiquette.

Fairly close either behind, facing or down my line would all bother me a bit to be honest

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Without changing my stance on the OP I would like to point out that in the R&A rules there is nowhere that it says that if I'm playing matchplay and my opponent is 2 up with 3 to play that I can't punch him unconscious and claim the match by default for him delaying play. However I'm fairly sure that almost everyone on here would agree that I can't do that. Just because it isn't specifically covered in the rules doesn't mean you can do it.

But just to be totally clear, where you stand when a PP or FC is hitting is covered and I maintain that SILH is wrong.

Would you shout "Fore" before throwing the punch, if not you may fall foul of a serious breach of etiquette :D

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Without changing my stance on the OP I would like to point out that in the R&A rules there is nowhere that it says that if I'm playing matchplay and my opponent is 2 up with 3 to play that I can't punch him unconscious and claim the match by default for him delaying play. However I'm fairly sure that almost everyone on here would agree that I can't do that. Just because it isn't specifically covered in the rules doesn't mean you can do it.

But just to be totally clear, where you stand when a PP or FC is hitting is covered and I maintain that SILH is wrong.

Well unless you have really long arms you'd probably be in breach of ettiquette because you' be standing too close to him. But at least you could approach from behind his back, as that's OK by the R&A - element of surprise.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Well unless you have really long arms you'd probably be in breach of ettiquette because you' be standing too close to him. But at least you could approach from behind his back, as that's OK by the R&A - element of surprise.

What if I let him tee off while I was standing in the HSBC or whatever we're calling it today and then moved in to punch him? Are there rules about how close I can stand after he's hit?

EDIT - After he's hit the ball rather than after I've punched him

Allanxyz

Head Pro
Visit site
@ger147 - I can't now remember if what is in the R&A rules supports what I am saying or not :)

The R&A does not support your stance...

As far as I can tell the only thing the R&A have to say on the issue is the below
"Only tee your ball up when it's your turn to play and remember not to stand close to the ball, directly behind it, or directly behind the hole, when a player is about to swing."

So you shouldn't stand close to the ball, directly behind it (that is to say on the target line, no-one could possible argue that "behind the ball" means behind the players back, or behind the hole. So the R&A doesn't back up your stance.

I guess you have your opinion that you should always stand infront of the FC unless there is a good reason you cannot (having to cross the teeing area isn't a good reason in your book)... it's fine to have this opinion, but many many others don't share this opinion. They seem to stand next to their bag, whether that means they are infront or behind (not on the line) of the player.

You talk about all these players who are afraid to speak up about people standing in the wrong position. Due to the path on my course I'm behind the players back on 40% of the holes lets say. I'd imagine all the rounds I'd and others had played there would be at least a couple of people brave enough to tell me to make my way across the tee and stand in front...this hasn't happened... why? Maybe it is not an issue and all these people afriad to speak up about their "FC standing in thw wrong place nightmare" don't actually exist... or?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The R&A does not support your stance...

As far as I can tell the only thing the R&A have to say on the issue is the below
"Only tee your ball up when it's your turn to play and remember not to stand close to the ball, directly behind it, or directly behind the hole, when a player is about to swing."

So you shouldn't stand close to the ball, directly behind it (that is to say on the target line, no-one could possible argue that "behind the ball" means behind the players back, or behind the hole. So the R&A doesn't back up your stance.

OK - but the video does demonstrate what I believe to be the correct etiquette

I guess you have your opinion that you should always stand infront of the FC

I repeat - this is not my opinion - this is what I was taught and believe to be the correct etiquette

Maybe it is not an issue and all these people afriad to speak up about their "FC standing in thw wrong place nightmare" don't actually exist... or?

You may be correct - but if you accept that some players just might feel uncomfortable about something you do during a round of golf and might feel unable to say anything about it - why not just try and avoid that possibility by making sure you don't do it. That's simply consideration for your fellow golfer.