• I don't care as long as they are quiet, still and out of the way

Votes: 187 83.1%
  • I am now aware of HNSP etiquette and will be using it in the future

Votes: 3 1.3%

• Total voters

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not really being bothered either way about this whole argument, but I can answer this point. With someone stood behind your back, if you can't see them, you have no idea if they are about to make a noise (accidentaly, not deliberately) by getting something out their bag or suchlike. If they are in front of you, you can see if they are making any movements before you swing.

I think.

What would you do if they were in front of you and making a noise in their bag that you can hear?

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Where you should stand on the tee is covered by the R&A in the Etiquette section of their rule book. I am more than happy to abide by that.

Everything else being expounded on this thread is nonsense IMO.

Well said Ger I think that covers everything I have to say on this.
It totally astounds me how many people are not prepared to follow those simple guidelines.

S

Snelly

What is it you fear/expect a player to do if he's standing behind your back (except snelly)

Could you clarify your meaning here please? PM me I you think it more suitable.

Last edited:

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
I honestly think that SILH has let the standing behind his back get into his head. The main reason you would stand across from the player is safety. No one wants to get hit, nor does one want to be the person who hits his partner.

Standing directly across from someone is undoubtedly more off putting that someone well back, or anywhere out of view. This is indisputable.

If even if someone stands directly opposite you, you cannot influence them to make sure they stay deathly quiet. you have to trust those with you to do this. the same way you would trust them to tell you how many strokes they had taken etc.

my preference for standing when someone is teeing off would be at the players 2 o clock position and also well back.

Do you mean where the Pro's and caddies stand the vast majority of the time ?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Could you clarify your meaning here please? PM me I you think it more suitable.

Your amusing post earlier in the thread that’s already been referenced several times since

Apologies if i have the contributor ID'd wrongly

Sorry Snelly I do have it wrong, it was Smiffy that made the funny post, sorry

Last edited:

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
And in the video which does suggest that standing diagonally opposite the player teeing off is good. Wonder how they came up with that position........

http://www.randa.org/en/Rules-and-Amateur-Status/Etiquette/Consideration-for-Others.aspx

Can I just clarify a point. Are you posting that video in support of SILH? I have to ask, because as far as I am can tell, that video does not support his view. SILH has stated that you should stand facing the golfer on the tee, not to the side and behind (down the line). IMO, that video merely serves to support most everyone else's viewpoint.. It also doesn't state that you should move to the opposite side of the tee box when a lefty approaches. That is SILH's opinion....

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

furthermore, if it is not my honour, I wont select my club until I have seen how the other players balls react in the wind / when they land. I don't need to know the exact club they used to help me with my own club selection.

if the bags are left at any distance from the teeing pegs, this would add unnecessary time to the round.

CheltenhamHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What would you do if they were in front of you and making a noise in their bag that you can hear?

By my way of thinking, you could see them doing that in front of you, and could see when they were stopping, and could then swing (if you're that put off by it). If someone is behind your back, there is much more of an element of surprise if a noise suddenly occurs.

I may be wrong, but that is the way I have read the justification of standing in front. As I said riiiiight at the start of the thread, ideally I stand at about 2 o clock, if we are all stood on the tee box, but there is a significant number of times at my course I will stand off the tee box with my bag, behind the players back.

D

Deleted member 1147

By my way of thinking, you could see them doing that in front of you, and could see when they were stopping, and could then swing (if you're that put off by it). If someone is behind your back, there is much more of an element of surprise if a noise suddenly occurs.

He should just concentrate on the ball & the shot to follow rather than what his PPs are doing in front or behind him.

I suppose if he's on the right hand side of the fairway and his FC in on the left hand side, ie he has his back to them for his approach shot, he asks them to come all the way over to the other side of him, just in case them make a noise?

CheltenhamHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
He should just concentrate on the ball & the shot to follow rather than what his PPs are doing in front or behind him.

I suppose if he's on the right hand side of the fairway and his FC in on the left hand side, ie he has his back to them for his approach shot, he asks them to come all the way over to the other side of him, just in case them make a noise?

I'm really going to regret getting involved with this aren't I!

You're being ever so pedantic with that final point, and it's a very different situation. You aren't in close quarters like you are on the tee.

Clearly, the main point to take is to stand still and be quiet, but this is easier to see if someone is in front of you.

If Sergio could see Tiger in front of him, he would have seen him take the club out of his bag... (I realise this is on the fairway, but the logic applies).

For what it's worth, i'm not bothered about the "universally accepted" and all that, I'm just thinking with my logic.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
it implies a lack of trust in fellow players which doesn't sit well with many on here!

its a bit like the school teacher and naughty pupil. " come up here boy, sit right in front of me here so I can keep an eye on you ".

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Can I just clarify a point. Are you posting that video in support of SILH? I have to ask, because as far as I am can tell, that video does not support his view. SILH has stated that you should stand facing the golfer on the tee, not to the side and behind (down the line). IMO, that video merely serves to support most everyone else's viewpoint.. It also doesn't state that you should move to the opposite side of the tee box when a lefty approaches. That is SILH's opinion....

I post it as I believe it shows the right place to be. IMHO that is the bast place to view a FP tee shot from, as it gives a different perspective from him/her should they not pick up the Ball flight .No it doesn't state that you should move for a left hander and I'd hope common sense to prevail .
I view this thread as not taking sides but one where some of us have explained that we were taught that standing in that position was good etiquette.
One of the games greatest player says he prefers players to stand there also so it must have crossed the pond at some stage.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I blame the mods for this. In SilH's very first post, he left us with the line..

Mods - you can now close this if you wish now that I have clarified my statement.

shame on you mods, shame on you ;)

D

Deleted member 1147

I'm really going to regret getting involved with this aren't I!

You're being ever so pedantic with that final point, and it's a very different situation. You aren't in close quarters like you are on the tee.

Clearly, the main point to take is to stand still and be quiet, but this is easier to see if someone is in front of you.

If Sergio could see Tiger in front of him, he would have seen him take the club out of his bag... (I realise this is on the fairway, but the logic applies).

For what it's worth, i'm not bothered about the "universally accepted" and all that, I'm just thinking with my logic.

1 - yes you probably will.

2 - I am being a little pedantic, but what if they are fairly close on the fairway? Say they both ripped their drives 250, and finished a couple of yards apart, based on what the R&A say about standing in the HNSP, should his PP/FC move from the DMZ?

3 - Yes, stand still and be quiet, that's what I said on one of the first 10 pages, and I stand (still & quietly) by this.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
One of the games greatest player says he prefers players to stand there also so it must have crossed the pond at some stage.

Will I ring messi and ask him his views on goal line technology and a winter world cup? Surely he is the only one who can make these decisions! :rofl:

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not really being bothered either way about this whole argument, but I can answer this point. With someone stood behind your back, if you can't see them, you have no idea if they are about to make a noise (accidentaly, not deliberately) by getting something out their bag or suchlike. If they are in front of you, you can see if they are making any movements before you swing.

I think.

At our place, players stand either facing or behind you as you tee off depending on the hole, it's probably about 50-50 of each. Regardless of where they are standing, I don't see them, I don't see what they are doing and I am not concerned about them making an unexpected sudden movement or noise because I rely on the fact that etiquette dictates that they won't. In fact, while I am preparing to play my shot I'm not even consciously aware they are there. They could be behind me juggling golf balls standing on one leg for all I care because all I am thinking about is my shot.

CheltenhamHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
1 - yes you probably will.

2 - I am being a little pedantic, but what if they are fairly close on the fairway? Say they both ripped their drives 250, and finished a couple of yards apart, based on what the R&A say about standing in the HNSP, should his PP/FC move from the DMZ?

3 - Yes, stand still and be quiet, that's what I said on one of the first 10 pages, and I stand (still & quietly) by this.

DMZ?? What is that?

The fairway is a little different though, in that if that were the case, if I had ripped it slightly further, I would hang back and let my PP/FC get to their ball first. I wouldn't be close, and therefore, it doesn't matter where I stand. It only becomes an issue on the teebox because of the lack of space there normally is, compared to the massive fairway.

If someone is 10/15 yards away, as I would be on the fairway, I couldn't care less where they are.