Votes: 187 83.1%
  • I am now aware of HNSP etiquette and will be using it in the future

Votes: 3 1.3%

• Total voters

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
A timely post - evidence m'lud iin support of my last post

Thanks SILH, I've given up on the merits of this post a long time ago.

I didn't read the first 10 pages, so don't know your stance, and not sure if I agree with you or not, but for sheer comedic value this thread is right up there. No offence intended.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So I'll note that I find it disappointing that there seem to be many here who are happy to dismiss out of hand what I honestly believed to be a bit of universally understood etiquette; who are happy to make up their own version of what is deemed acceptable without actually knowing what their PP feel;

or who will check with their professional or other senior or experienced member.

peace be with you :cool:

I regularly play with my dad or his playing partners all of whom are in their 60's or 70's and most of them have been playing the game for 50+ years. They have never had a problem with me standing towards either back corner of the teeing ground while they take their shot or indeed either facing or behind them and have never insisted that I stand facing them or asked me to move from where I have been standing. So it would seem that it is not universally accepted etiquette by more senior members. However as has previously been mentioned I along with all others it would seem are happy to stand wherever I am asked to by PP's or FC's.

And may peas be with you too SILH. :)

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Picture this ...

A hot summers day in august, the whole of the golf monthly forum are on a plane heading to the Pebble Beach for the final of the King of Kings competition.

Everyone is having a great time but suddenly the plane plunges into the Atlantic. There are, no survivors!

We all approach the pearly gates to be greeted by Saint Peter himself. He also an avid golfer, plays off 4,tidy short game.

He beckons the first forumer to come forward. "Step forward son". Liverpoolphil steps forward.

Saint Peter looks at his life chart and starts " ah ha, yeah, mmm, yep, everything seems to be in order here, yep, oh hold on a minute."

"it says here you wasted you life reading 60 pages of nonsense on the golf monthly forum."

Saint Peter then says, "tut tut, oh dear, im sorry, can you please stand over there"

A voice from the back pipes up...

"SEE, I FLIPPIN TOLD YOUS"

pandemonium breaks out

:whistle:

Last edited by a moderator:

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I didn't read the first 10 pages, so don't know your stance, and not sure if I agree with you or not, but for sheer comedic value this thread is right up there. No offence intended.

To summarise the full thread......
1.) SILH stated that he was taught that etiquette dictates that you should ALWAYS stand facing the player teeing off in front of him whenever it was possible to do so. DfT agreed.
2.) Pretty much every one else disagreed and said that standing still and quiet were the only important factor as long as you weren't forward of the ball or directly behind it looking down the line of the shot (unless asked to do so by PP).
3.) And since then there have been 600 posts basically saying "Oh yes it is" "Oh no it isn't" but no-one has yet shouted "He's behind you" but that might be because a) it's not right to shout when someone is teeing off and b)you shouldn't be behind someone when they are teeing off.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Picture this ...

A hot summers day in august, the whole of the golf monthly forum are on a plane heading to the Pebble Beach for the final of the King of Kings competition.

Everyone is having a great time but suddenly the plane plunges into the Atlantic. There are, no survivors!

We all approach the pearly gates to be greeted by Saint Peter himself. He also an avid golfer, plays off 4,tidy short game.

He beckons the first forumer to come forward. "Step forward son". Liverpoolphil steps forward.

Saint Peter looks at his life chart and starts " ah ha, yeah, mmm, yep, everything seems to be in order here, yep, oh hold on a minute."

"it says here you wasted you life reading 60 pages of nonsense on the golf monthly forum."

Saint Peter then says, "tut tut, oh dear, im sorry, can you please stand over there"

A voice from the back pipes up...

"SEE, I FLIPPIN TOLD YOUS"

pandemonium breaks out

:whistle:

See you in 45 days:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
To summarise the full thread......
1.) SILH stated that he was taught that etiquette dictates that you should ALWAYS stand facing the player teeing off in front of him whenever it was possible to do so. DfT agreed.
2.) Pretty much every one else disagreed and said that standing still and quiet were the only important factor as long as you weren't forward of the ball or directly behind it looking down the line of the shot (unless asked to do so by PP).
3.) And since then there have been 600 posts basically saying "Oh yes it is" "Oh no it isn't" but no-one has yet shouted "He's behind you" but that might be because a) it's not right to shout when someone is teeing off and b)you shouldn't be behind someone when they are teeing off.

Nope.
I don't recall Hogan or myself saying ALWAYS, he may have said that HE always tries to stand in the HNSP.

Many jumped on the 'stoopid' bandwaggon early on and have then desperately tried to justify there comments after the R&A etiquette notes were posted. They would not want to look like they know nothing about something as basic as this would they now.

I would be interested to know how many folk on here who started golf with lessons from a Pro [not old uncle Bert who plays off 22] who were taught where to stand safely when golfers are playing. As a reminder it would be the very first thing you were taught, before grip, swing etc.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Nope.
I don't recall Hogan or myself saying ALWAYS, he may have said that HE always tries to stand in the HNSP.

Many jumped on the 'stoopid' bandwaggon early on and have then desperately tried to justify there comments after the R&A etiquette notes were posted. They would not want to look like they know nothing about something as basic as this would they now.

I would be interested to know how many folk on here who started golf with lessons from a Pro [not old uncle Bert who plays off 22] who were taught where to stand safely when golfers are playing. As a reminder it would be the very first thing you were taught, before grip, swing etc.

I was told to stand over there so I could see what he was doing. It would be odd to have a lesson from someone if I was standing behind them.

D

Deleted member 1147

I'm not reading through 60 pages of posts, so this, my point of view may have been covered, but I'll generally stand behind the person teeing off, that is so their back is towards me, that way I'm not in their line of sight or peripheral vision. Of course that changes dependent on where the sun is and where my shadow is cast, in which case I will stand so as not to cast a shadow that may be distracting to them if at all avoidable.

I will stand to the side of the person teeing up looking down the line when the sun is facing so I can track the ball flight, that I think is good manners and courteous, and ultimately speeds up play as you don't have to spend time looking for a ball.

Other than the above, stay out of site of the person teeing up and keep quiet.

You can't stand there I'm afraid. Your FC/PP may be paranoid about the remote possibility that you'll be doing the sort of stuff Smiffy recommends?

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I was told to stand over there so I could see what he was doing. It would be odd to have a lesson from someone if I was standing behind them.

So were you standing behind the ball not standing behind him?

I was in the company of a group of golfers last night mainly decent players and Turnberry members.
I asked them 'In golf if I said I was standing behind the player where would I be'
No one said anything and they looked at me as if I had grown another head.
So I said ' In golf would you ever consider behind the player as meaning looking at the players back as he hit the ball'
Never,no and shaking of heads.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

I was in the company of a group of golfers last night mainly decent players and Turnberry members.
I asked them 'In golf if I said I was standing behind the player where would I be'
So I said ' In golf would you ever consider behind the player as meaning looking at the players back as he hit the ball'

Terminology cant be used as evidence I'm afraid... golf is littered with terms that most golfers don't understand i.e open hips at impact or turn back to target!

But it is interesting that they also had no idea what was meant by standing behind the player until you explained further!

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Terminology cant be used as evidence I'm afraid... golf is littered with terms that most golfers don't understand i.e open hips at impact or turn back to target!

And stack and tilt. Still no idea what that is but did see that Poulter had tweeted that it was a load of rubbish.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

But it is interesting that they also had no idea what was meant by standing behind the player until you explained further!

Sorry to disappoint you Slab but HNSP is not really serious.

Re standing behind the player in golf, you miss the point, to them it was so obvious what it was that anything else would be considered weird.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

I know I said I was out but the context of the term "behind" for this thread was set by SilH in the very first post...

I won't always ask a player to move if they are standing behind me - though I might feel a little uncomfortable as I can't see what they are up to or maybe about to do (that might cause me a distraction mid-swing). But I really don't like someone standing a the back of the tee looking down the fairway as I am about to tee off.

So behind in the context of the thread, set by the OP, doesn't mean the back of the tee.

Last edited: