• I don't care as long as they are quiet, still and out of the way

Votes: 187 83.1%
  • I am now aware of HNSP etiquette and will be using it in the future

Votes: 3 1.3%

• Total voters

john0

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I see you chose to leave out the 'decent players' bit!

[BTW you did not reply to my question on the Seniors thread]

So just because they are 'decent players' and 'Turnberry members' this makes their opinion worth more than that of a 20 handicapper at a lesser well known course?

[BTW - you didnt ask me a question on the Seniors thread]

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
So just because they are 'decent players' and 'Turnberry members' this makes their opinion worth more than that of a 20 handicapper at a lesser well known course?

Depends on the history of the 20 handicapper.
If he was an 87 year old former English Amateur Champion who had served years on County committee duty I would say probably not.

The 'decent players' in the Turnberry [and other clubs] group had all at one time been single figure and two had been + handicap players.

john0

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just because someone has once been a low handicapper doesnt automatically make them superior to ther golfers though. I have played with plenty of low handicap golfers who can't even stand in the universally accepted place on the tee box

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Many jumped on the 'stoopid' bandwaggon early on and have then desperately tried to justify there comments after the R&A etiquette notes were posted. They would not want to look like they know nothing about something as basic as this would they now.

That's how it seems to me - as I am rather baffled why my pointing out the 'HNSP' has generated 65 pages of responses. Whether the 'HNSP' arose out of considerations of safety, respect, etiquette or whatever I don't really know. But there it is.

Previous generations of golfers could just as easily have stood elsewhere, in any and all of the places that others here seem to deem completely acceptable - but previous generations didn't. Why many of today's generation seem to think that something has changed that invalidates the reasoning behind the 'HNSP' and therefore allows them to stand wherever they deem OK I just don't know. Because in respect of players teeing off absolutely nothing has changed - things are as they have always been.

As I mentioned - it does seem that many today have an attitude that it is fine to challenge or ignore this sort of stuff - and indeed to challenge the rules - if they don't think it need apply to them.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
That's how it seems to me - as I am rather baffled why my pointing out the 'HNSP' has generated 65 pages of responses. Whether the 'HNSP' arose out of considerations of safety, respect, etiquette or whatever I don't really know. But there it is.

Previous generations of golfers could just as easily have stood elsewhere, in any and all of the places that others here seem to deem completely acceptable - but previous generations didn't. Why many of today's generation seem to think that something has changed that invalidates the reasoning behind the 'HNSP' and therefore allows them to stand wherever they deem OK I just don't know. Because in respect of players teeing off absolutely nothing has changed - things are as they have always been.

As I mentioned - it does seem that many today have an attitude that it is fine to challenge or ignore this sort of stuff - and indeed to challenge the rules - if they don't think it need apply to them.

This is the whole point though (pulling hair out, whats left anyway...)

You didn't just "point it out".

You pointed it out and then carried on to say that everyone who doesn't do as you say has no sense of etiquette and is wrong!!

When I learned the game as a kid in St Andrews with my grandad and his Cat 1 (seeing as DfT thinks thats the acceptable criteria for a valid opinion) friends not one of them traipsed back and forth across the tees on the Old Course.

Where practical, yes they stood where you mention. Where not, they didn't and stood behind the players back (not the line of the ball).

Are you seriously suggesting that they were the only golfers from "the previous generations" not to follow the Glasgow muni law of HNSP!?

D

Deleted member 1147

I was taught golf by formerly single figure, senior citizens from Derbyshire. A county in which etiquette is of paramount importance (just ask Mr Darcy of Pemberley), and no one made a great big song and dance about where to stand, none of them were paranoid that people were doing things behind their backs, they just let common sense prevail.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Firstly there is no such thing as an"HNSP" or whatever else you choose to call it. There has been no argument that you were told this info by your glaswegian mini chap but you seem to be ignoring anyone who points out that there are other players from that generation that don't use the same convention. I have no doubt that what he told you was what he and in all likelihood the people he played with did bit you seem unable or unwilling to accept that not everyone of that age/generation does it.

And no one is challenging any rules. Just your mythical HNSP which falls under etiquette and doesn't happen to be written down in the rules you say we are challenging.

Last edited:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
@ SiLH

Apologies its a long thread so i may have forgotten if you've answered this already but...

What is it you fear/expect a player to do if he's standing behind your back (except snelly) that makes this position less desirable/optimum than facing you?

And what effect or impact does facing you carry that mitigates the risk of said player doing the same thing they would do behind your back?

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Where you should stand on the tee is covered by the R&A in the Etiquette section of their rule book. I am more than happy to abide by that.

Everything else being expounded on this thread is nonsense IMO.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site

I know what you are saying, it's Anarchy in the UK on just about every course I go to nowadays.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site

In this pic, unless someone was stood too close in the area where the red arrow is, they would never be interfering with play.

If I was stood in any of the green shaded areas and was asked to move - I'd think you were being an arse. I'd still move, but you're an arse none the less.

CheltenhamHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
@ SiLH

Apologies its a long thread so i may have forgotten if you've answered this already but...

What is it you fear/expect a player to do if he's standing behind your back (except snelly) that makes this position less desirable/optimum than facing you?

And what effect or impact does facing you carry that mitigates the risk of said player doing the same thing they would do behind your back?

Not really being bothered either way about this whole argument, but I can answer this point. With someone stood behind your back, if you can't see them, you have no idea if they are about to make a noise (accidentaly, not deliberately) by getting something out their bag or suchlike. If they are in front of you, you can see if they are making any movements before you swing.

I think.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I honestly think that SILH has let the standing behind his back get into his head. The main reason you would stand across from the player is safety. No one wants to get hit, nor does one want to be the person who hits his partner.

Standing directly across from someone is undoubtedly more off putting that someone well back, or anywhere out of view. This is indisputable.

If even if someone stands directly opposite you, you cannot influence them to make sure they stay deathly quiet. you have to trust those with you to do this. the same way you would trust them to tell you how many strokes they had taken etc.

my preference for standing when someone is teeing off would be at the players 2 o clock position and also well back.