When others 'NR' in a comp.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm confused. So let's say its a really tough day and some morning groups manage to get a score in. All the low boys go out in the afternoon and have a howler. They are all 20 over par and though they finished their rounds they don't hand their cards in to save face, NRs all round. Surely had they put in those scores CSS would have gone up and benefitted those who managed to make a score that day? It may have been "reductions only" but they've prevented that from happening and now everyone goes up because they were more concerned with saving face.

Or have I misunderstood the calculation?

D

Deleted member 15344

I'm confused. So let's say its a really tough day and some morning groups manage to get a score in. All the low boys go out in the afternoon and have a howler. They are all 20 over par and though they finished their rounds they don't hand their cards in to save face, NRs all round. Surely had they put in those scores CSS would have gone up and benefitted those who managed to make a score that day? It may have been "reductions only" but they've prevented that from happening and now everyone goes up because they were more concerned with saving face.

An NR is classed as one above buffer - so there is no difference between handing the card in with a 90 on it or an NR in regards the calculations

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site

It would appear you have misunderstood - possibly more than one aspect.

1. Doesn't matter how far buffer is missed ie for a cat 1 player 2 over is the same as 20 over in calculating CSS.
2. NR is the same as returning 2 over (or 20 over).

Hope this helps

Edit - beaten by Phil!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
. All the low boys go out in the afternoon and have a howler. They are all 20 over par and though they finished their rounds they don't hand their cards in to save face,

Where I play anybody doing that for the first time goes on the first stage of a 3 stage disciplinary procedure, final stage being suspension of handicap for a month.

Not handing cads in causes loads of 'havoc' in the office. The staff have to do a very thorough check to see if it was lost by them before they can close down the competition (phone calls etc). We had one comp before we brought in the disciplinary procedure which could not be close for a week.

We had a very serious issue with a number of low handicap players not handing in cards deliberately to avoid the 0.1 increases. One player went all the way, had his handicapped suspended which meant he could not play in a couple of opens he had entered.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the correction both!

Happens quite a bit at ours, in HDID they just get a row of zeros for their score, certainly no disciplinary action taken.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Where I play anybody doing that for the first time goes on the first stage of a 3 stage disciplinary procedure, final stage being suspension of handicap for a month.

Not handing cads in causes loads of 'havoc' in the office. The staff have to do a very thorough check to see if it was lost by them before they can close down the competition (phone calls etc). We had one comp before we brought in the disciplinary procedure which could not be close for a week.

We had a very serious issue with a number of low handicap players not handing in cards deliberately to avoid the 0.1 increases. One player went all the way, had his handicapped suspended which meant he could not play in a couple of opens he had entered.

i never under stand how this is the case when mentioned on here. if you don't hand your card it, you are not returning a score so get an automatic 0.1 anyway. Ive been a member at 4 clubs and this is what happens at all of them, no card = 0.1

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site

Completely understand the admin issues but this last bit doesn't make sense.

If they fail to return a card they go up 0.1 - the end.

Damm - now Patrick's beaten my response! Isn't anyone out playing this morning?

D

Deleted member 15344

How daft is that - if they haven’t handed their card in - it’s a clear automatic DQ and a .1 back

Your club appears to have got it all wrong

You can’t avoid a .1 back if you don’t hand the card in - you don’t need to chase them down or wait for them to close the Comp

Swingalot

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Putting in a NR is fine as long as you do it in the right spirit imo.

Sticking your ball in the rough when you are well out of the running to buffer or even win the comp, not being able to find the ball and then NR rather than walking all the way back to the tee and holding everyone up (does the 5/3 min rule include for the walk of shame?) is ok in my book.

The issue I have with some NR is from people who are just a little vain and don't want to share the competition score they have racked up that day. For instance, why do people NR on the 17th but when they enter their score on the computer put NR against everyhole? They should fill out the card as signed for, with a score against each hole.

As for the club who don't give 0.1 for people who don't hand in cards, they should be brought to task big time. That gives people who want to cheat the system every opportunity to do exactly that!

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
How daft is that - if they haven’t handed their card in - it’s a clear automatic DQ and a .1 back

You can’t avoid a .1 back if you don’t hand the card in - you don’t need to chase them down or wait for them to close the Comp

Indeed, the committees only initial concern is a realistic assessment of "as soon as possible" under 6-6b, and once that's passed they can DQ under 6-6b and close comp. 0.1 will appear on the handicap record and the world moves on.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
People not handing cards in, or not entering their score in the computer, get sanctioned.

There is a world of difference between an NR, and not handing in your card.

D

Deleted member 23270

I struggle to get why someone will start a round, with full intentions to complete it, have a few bad holes and call it a day and not score for the complete round.

I play once a week, I look forward to it and I want to enjoy it. If I have entered a competition and I'm having a mare then I don't get any enjoyment from it. I would rather NR and just enjoy the rest of the round rather than stressing about having a bad day. It's no big deal.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk

Phew, I was get really confused reading the other post. pay your money, no buffer, NR or no card , 0.1 up.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
People not handing cards in, or not entering their score in the computer, get sanctioned.

From a handicapping perspective there is absolutely no difference (unless you are deliberately choosing not to return a card that would have got you cut at which point you are manipulating your handicap rather than failing to return a card...).

From a club admin perspective it can be a pain, hence sanctions. Not using computer is also admin and clubs will have different policies and approaches depending on the reasons and resources.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site

I don’t DQ players for not entering scores into the computer and CONGU would not support me if I did. Same applies for incorrectly entered scores.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A lot of replies to my post appear to be missing the point.

As said when players fail to return their cards this cause the office a great deal of extra admin.

At our club the cards are not returned to the office. the player is responsible for inputting the own score in to the PSI computer and then the card is put in a slot at the end of the desk. At a weekend this slot contains the cards for up to 5 competitions (we have two course with separate competitions on each).

Question 1. Why is the card missing?
Did the player put it in the wrong place, did it fall in to t wrong place, did the office staff lose it on the way from the lounge to the office, has it been lost in the office.

Virtually every time it is because a player did not place it in the slot but we cannot make that assumption.

We tried a single ban for upcoming competitions but tis did not work. A threat of handicap suspension works amazingly well.

The introduction of our disciplinary process has reduced the amount of players failing to fulfil the clubs entry procedures from up to 20 a competition to just the occasional player. Comps results now get published on time in the vast majority of cases

D

Deleted member 15344

A lot of replies to my post appear to be missing the point.

As said when players fail to return their cards this cause the office a great deal of extra admin.

At our club the cards are not returned to the office. the player is responsible for inputting the own score in to the PSI computer and then the card is put in a slot at the end of the desk. At a weekend this slot contains the cards for up to 5 competitions (we have two course with separate competitions on each).

Question 1. Why is the card missing?
Did the player put it in the wrong place, did it fall in to t wrong place, did the office staff lose it on the way from the lounge to the office, has it been lost in the office.

Virtually every time it is because a player did not place it in the slot but we cannot make that assumption.

We tried a single ban for upcoming competitions but tis did not work. A threat of handicap suspension works amazingly well.

The introduction of our disciplinary process has reduced the amount of players failing to fulfil the clubs entry procedures from up to 20 a competition to just the occasional player. Comps results now get published on time in the vast majority of cases

Sorry but you said you had low Handicappers not handing cards in to avoid getting point 1 back ? Thats a very strange statement to make because if the card isnt handed in then its an automatic .1 regardless

As for your administration issues - that just sounds like poor organisation

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Like most, I have NR'd but to be honest unless it's ill health or injury I prefer to grind it out to the bitter end providing it's not to the detriment of my partners and those playing behind. No point getting to the 14th with the buffer zone a distant memory and playing five off the tee. I would mark the card for the remaining holes and would never dream of not entering the card into the box