When others 'NR' in a comp.

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
If you retire ill or injured then you shouldn't really NR, or put it this way I wouldn't process you as a NR. I don't think it would be fair to add .1 for those reasons and would just remove you from the competition.

We apply a 2 match ban for someone walking off the course without very good reason ie in a strop, having a bad day, etc.

The IG system has a withdrawn option in the results which doesn't add 0.1 to your handicap and I think should be used for injuries, illness etc.
I understand most of the views on here about the dreaded 0.1 as these seem to be from respectable, competitive, honest golfers, however there is a breed of golfer who relishes the 0.1 increase.
I'm talking about the guy who, whatever their score is, becomes 'tired', or 'unfocused' after 13 or 14 holes and decides to NR the rest. Surprise, surprise, his handicap is suddenly heading back up to that comfortable zone he was in before being cut through winning last months competition. Cheat or bandit ?

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
I NR a lot. Last was due to illness and resulted in a walk off. But usually if I’m having a bad day, I pack up and become chief flag attendant while marking PPs card. I’ll have a go at the Par threes for the two’s.
if I know I’m going to hold up play or be a detriment to others enjoyment then it’s tome to NR.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I NR a lot. Last was due to illness and resulted in a walk off. But usually if I’m having a bad day, I pack up and become chief flag attendant while marking PPs card. I’ll have a go at the Par threes for the two’s.
if I know I’m going to hold up play or be a detriment to others enjoyment then it’s tome to NR.

Our two's doesnt pay out on an NR, even if the two was before the NR. So you have to finish the card. Stupid rule, that can and does hold up the whole field.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
CONGU rules say you should continue your best efforts on the remaining holes and have your marker record the scores. You putting out for the 9 could still lead to a handicap reduction depending on the scores on the other 17 holes.

No. What I said was point one in the bag. I am aware of stableford adjustment, and am also very aware of what my stableford score would be at any moment. If any chance of buffer is gone, it is gone.

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
Our two's doesnt pay out on an NR, even if the two was before the NR. So you have to finish the card. Stupid rule, that can and does hold up the whole field.

Our two's is a seperate comp and we have the option if you want to enter or not. I'm sure if they ran out two's the same as your club, they wouldn't get may entries.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
The IG system has a withdrawn option in the results which doesn't add 0.1 to your handicap and I think should be used for injuries, illness etc.
I understand most of the views on here about the dreaded 0.1 as these seem to be from respectable, competitive, honest golfers, however there is a breed of golfer who relishes the 0.1 increase.
I'm talking about the guy who, whatever their score is, becomes 'tired', or 'unfocused' after 13 or 14 holes and decides to NR the rest. Surprise, surprise, his handicap is suddenly heading back up to that comfortable zone he was in before being cut through winning last months competition. Cheat or bandit ?

I had a look and could not see any equivalent option in HM ( we don’t use IG). It doesn’t happen often so it’s no big deal to remove player from comp before processing results.

As a bye the bye, I received a tip off from a player the other day who didn’t mention names but implied someone deliberately and routinely screws up the last few holes to protect handicap.

Obviously its dangerous to jump to any conclusions from things that I will see on a report but it will be an interesting exercise nonetheless.😳

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
I find the attention given to Non Returns in golf is disproportionate to its significance.

I've N/Rd many, many times. It tends to be where I've hit a shot and not seen the ball land. If my score at that point is utter rubbish, I would rather not risk losing another ball and just walk down to try and find my first ball. If I don't find it, I'm not going to hold everyone up by walking back to the tee. Stick down a N/R for me, please squire- I'll get the flag.

Beyond that, I have no shame in putting an 8, 9 or 10 on my card- it happens to everyone. In this case, I wouldn't personally, and would discourage others from failing to putt out and instead marking an N/R out of embarrassment. That's not what it's for. Very often, I see (more commonly low handicap) players having a shocker of a start, followed by 12 N/Rs on the card. That's not really in the spirit of the game, and while I'm sure by N/Ring some golfers may be able to curb their frustration and make the game enjoyable for their fellow competitors, I struggle with the idea that the enjoyment of a medal round depends that much on the score taken- you've got to learn how to love the game even when playing crap (trust me).

Stableford comps changes this a bit. If I'm going to blob, I'd rather pick up my ball, than waste everyone's time. Recorded as N/R for the computer's purposes.

The other thing that N/R chat generates is an apparently very common myth- that you can't get a handicap cut with a N/R on your card. Handicaps are worked out on stableford points, not medal score.

NorwichBanana

Assistant Pro
Visit site
why would it???

They may potentially be taking up a space of someone who wanted to play. Imagine if the competition only allowed 60 entries and you'd have been 61st (if done in handicap order especially) and someone NR'ed. They would be taking your place? Surely you'd need to hit them with some punishment? Otherwise they could forever more NR in every comp and you'd never get to play in handicap drawn comps!?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
They may potentially be taking up a space of someone who wanted to play. Imagine if the competition only allowed 60 entries and you'd have been 61st (if done in handicap order especially) and someone NR'ed. They would be taking your place? Surely you'd need to hit them with some punishment? Otherwise they could forever more NR in every comp and you'd never get to play in handicap drawn comps!?

whats the stigma you have with an NR? Just because someone NRs doesnt mean they didnt want to play or took someone elses space.

If your club comps only allow 60 entrants then Id argue thats the problem not the odd player NRing when having a bad day or losing a ball and not walking back. Why does this person always get to enter before you (along with 59 others) meaning that you never get to play in a comp? If its handicap then so be it, happens to all but the best

Have been ballotted out of many decent scratch comps on handicap, and guarantee there will have been NRs in almost all of them, doesnt make me feel that I shouldve had their spot in the field

D

Deleted member 15344

There is nothing wrong with someone NRing - I would prefer someone to NR and look for a Stableford score than putting out for 10’s etc

I have only NR when I have lost a ball but still continue to look for a Stableford score - have had two cuts from an NR and made a few buffers.

At the end of the day they are nothing more than one worse than buffer for HC CSS calculations

If you add punishments then you start to create slow play issues.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site

I've NR'd through sickness and health. I've lost a ball I expected to find on the 17th and it's not been worth walking back to reload. When I entered I didn't expect to NR so I'm really not sure how I'm taking up a space of someone else, and what certainty do you have that they won't NR?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I struggle to get why someone will start a round, with full intentions to complete it, have a few bad holes and call it a day and not score for the complete round.

so i complete the round but write NR on a couple of holes rather than a number, so what. Can happen for so many reasons as posted above, its just part of golf. Walking off and leaving playing partner(s) a different argument. It has zero effect on anyone else (real or perceived)

NorwichBanana

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've NR'd through sickness and health. I've lost a ball I expected to find on the 17th and it's not been worth walking back to reload. When I entered I didn't expect to NR so I'm really not sure how I'm taking up a space of someone else, and what certainty do you have that they won't NR?

Totally understandable.

Why isn't it worth walking back to reload? You're in a competition, you've entered to complete it? I can't get my head around this, why would you not complete a round that you could so easily complete?!

D

Deleted member 15344

Totally understandable.

Why isn't it worth walking back to reload? You're in a competition, you've entered to complete it? I can't get my head around this, why would you not complete a round that you could so easily complete?!

What if you know your score isn’t going to get anywhere near winning ? Why walk back and waste time when you can NR the hole and then walk onto the next hole and then look to continue to get a Stableford adjustment ?

Also what about your playing partners who are having to wait around or the people waiting for you behind you ? At times it’s better for pace of play to NR and walk on - especially if you are struggling

And also why if you aren’t sure where the ball is going don’t you play a provisional so you don’t have to walk back to the tee - there shouldn’t ever be a reason to walk back to the tee

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Totally understandable.

who says they are not completing. you might have unexpectedly lost a ball and rather than hold up the whole field NR for one hole. you can still complete the round for handicap purposes as this just goes down as a Double Bogey, you could still be cut from an NR, just not win.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Totally understandable.

You don't have to get your head around it, you don't even have to agree with the practice. What you DO have to accept is that it's not against the rules and is extremely common i.e. in every medal I have ever played in, at least 1 person has NR'd.

All of the reasons given above are valid reasons for the vast majority of club golfers. If you find yourself in a tiny minority against NR'ing then that is your right, but the rest of us don't think there is anything wrong with it and will continue to do so when appropriate so you'll just have to get used to it.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Totally understandable.

So you're already ten over handicap, you hit the ball 250 yards just into the rough and lose it unexpectedly, there's a big queue of players and people are already on the tee behind you. I can absolutely understand why someone would NR rather than walk of shame back to the tee, holding up the entire field and for what purpose? You can complete the round still, just with an NR by that hole. You're not troubling the leaderboard either way.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
What if you know your score isn’t going to get anywhere near winning ? Why walk back and waste time when you can NR the hole and then walk onto the next hole and then look to continue to get a Stableford adjustment ?

Also what about your playing partners who are having to wait around or the people waiting for you behind you ? At times it’s better for pace of play to NR and walk on - especially if you are struggling

And also why if you aren’t sure where the ball is going don’t you play a provisional so you don’t have to walk back to the tee - there shouldn’t ever be a reason to walk back to the tee

It’s not all about winning, players that come 10th still get OOM points in our medals.

Or a player might simply want to better his PB in a medal.