When do you stop becoming a bandit ?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Simple fact is that you never do. No matter what your handicap, if you have a great round substantially below it, there will always be grumpy, jealous individual who will call you a bandit rather than say well done. Golf clubs all have them.

Darren24

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Simple fact is that you never do. No matter what your handicap, if you have a great round substantially below it, there will always be grumpy, jealous individual who will call you a bandit rather than say well done. Golf clubs all have them.

So true.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you score 46 points off the back tees, you deserve to be called a bandit. As the last post said, someone off mid to low single figures would have to shoot a good few under par gross to compete.

I assume you are playing a short course over winter though?

Utter tosh. Everyone has the occasional blinder in them. I had one at the start of last season, blobbed one hole but still scored 46. Just couldn't go wrong (except for that one hole). I won the division, got a 2 and won a nearest the pin. Got a few friendly sombrero comments in the bar afterwards but after the prize giving many of the members came up and congratulated me. If I'd done it a few times then yeas, something is wrong, but a day like that can happen.

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've always thought that if you have a proper club or society managed handicap, awarded over a period of time then none of us are bandits.

On that one occasion when we shoot the lights out it's just one if those things. Everything just gels on the day.

Do the same begrudgers take back their cries of "Bandit!" When we follow up our 43 points with a 23 the next comp?

Banditry is sadly however alive and well at society away days, special days and company golf days that are less strictly controlled and where some individual or team will invariably romp home 10 -15 shots ahead of the rest of the field field. *That* really winds me up but nothing can ever seem to be done about it.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site

Perfect and honest reply.

Jealousy is a serious mental problem to some people.
They think if they cant or havnt done it nobody can.

D

Deleted member 18588

No, SSS has no bearing on stableford points. It would affect the number of points needed for handicap adjustments but not the actual points

Sorry typo error I transposed the 73 and 71.

In that case 36 points would be two over handicap and 46 points eight under.

D

Deleted member 18588

Not sure I see what you mean? The OP said he shot 11 over off of 19 and scored 46 points, which doesn't add up regardless of SSS

Mine was an answer to your question how eight under handicap could equate to 46 points.

I agree that eight under par cannot generate 46 points and also, like yourself, I cannot see how 11 over par less a 19 handicap can result in that same 46 points.

No doubt the OP can enlighten us.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
When do you stop becoming a bandit ?when you stop cheating !

You dont cheat ? Then your not a bandit even if someone decides to call u it !

Ok i know thats technically NOT the question you were asking , but if your not cheating let the others take a long walk of a short pier

For those that that a proper bandit can be defined by handicap in particular a high handicap ,Like Joff , i know a 4 handicapper that i would class as a bandit ..

We have a chap in our place of 20 that has cleaned up in our winter league series and won the winter OOM , some think he is a bandit , not the ones that know coming to the end of last regular season he was so fed up of being rubbish (his words) he went and got lessons , hit the range hit the putting greens etc , he will get down to 15/16 or lower this year easily id say . bandit , ? nope!

Last edited:

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I will never forget playing a singles match against a fella at our place who was a renowned misery and never happy losing to higher handicappers. I was off 16 at the time and he was off 10.

We reached the turn and I have to say I had played pretty steadily. I think I was 3 or 4 over gross. My opponent had got increasingly more agitated until we stood on the 10th tee and he came straight out with it, pulling no punches. "You're a fu**ing bandit", he says.

"Care to tell me the score?" I asked him. We were all square at the time, with him clearly playing well within his own handicap to keep the match level. He clearly didn't mind playing well himself, but simply couldn't accept me doing it.

The remainder of the round was played in stony silence and I took huge pleasure out of beating him at the 19th.

Darren24

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I will never forget playing a singles match against a fella at our place who was a renowned misery and never happy losing to higher handicappers. I was off 16 at the time and he was off 10.

We reached the turn and I have to say I had played pretty steadily. I think I was 3 or 4 over gross. My opponent had got increasingly more agitated until we stood on the 10th tee and he came straight out with it, pulling no punches. "You're a fu**ing bandit", he says.

"Care to tell me the score?" I asked him. We were all square at the time, with him clearly playing well within his own handicap to keep the match level. He clearly didn't mind playing well himself, but simply couldn't accept me doing it.

The remainder of the round was played in stony silence and I took huge pleasure out of beating him at the 19th.

Good man

Revrec

Medal Winner
Visit site
Mine was an answer to your question how eight under handicap could equate to 46 points.

I agree that eight under par cannot generate 46 points and also, like yourself, I cannot see how 11 over par less a 19 handicap can result in that same 46 points.

No doubt the OP can enlighten us.

Well, not the OP but, might he have done something like gross scoring of:
1 birdie for 4pts & 1 under par
10 pars (inc SI 1) for 31pts (35 total) to stay 1 under
5 bogeys for 10pts (45 total) to go 4 over
1 double bogey for 1pt (46 total) to go 6 over
1 5x bogey for 0pts (46 total) and 11 over.

Not having done much Stableford yet it is entirely possible I'm wrong. Please don't shout :confused:

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've played with a guy who clearly had a too high handicap off 15 then 12 then 9. Ended up off about 6 before it wasn't a given he was going to win.

I had to shoot a lifetime best off 12 just to lose by a shot

Martin70

Head Pro
Visit site
Played a fourball winter knockout comp recently - we were both off 18 and our opponents were off 14 and 12. We went 2 holes up after 2 and they were incandescent with rage calling us bandits. The 3rd hole is a 360 yard par four and one of them drove the green wind behind. I couldn't help myself and walked up behind him when he was putting and mutter call us bandits?

He 3 putted :) We won by a hole.

Bottom line is as long as you know you score 28 points or less as often as you score 30 odd points or more who cares? You are still in the vastly wide improving range where most can have a **** day or a **** hot one.

Don't let them bother you - chances are they used to play of 18 or 19 and wish they still could be a bandit.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Well, not the OP but, might he have done something like gross scoring of:
1 birdie for 4pts & 1 under par
10 pars (inc SI 1) for 31pts (35 total) to stay 1 under
5 bogeys for 10pts (45 total) to go 4 over
1 double bogey for 1pt (46 total) to go 6 over
1 5x bogey for 0pts (46 total) and 11 over.

Not having done much Stableford yet it is entirely possible I'm wrong. Please don't shout :confused:

If he did that, he'd definately be a bandit :D