When do you stop becoming a bandit ?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
or if you play in a comp every week and occasionally have a good score, and not the barest min and only play Texas scrambles and match play;)

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Ignoring the fact that I think bandit should be reserved for those artificially managing their handicaps, you stop being one when you're happy with 34pts and you need to play very well to make 36.

evahakool

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I don't think it necessarily ever goes away unless you reach single figures, and then I'm picking an arbitary cut off point. Normally said by those that have played poorly and shot over handicap and tinged by a hint of jealousy. It can be said in mocking and friendly fashion too and I'm often calling Ads749r a bandit, especially after his last few months but I know how hard he's been working with our assistant and pleased to see him getting his due

rewards

You might take time to think before posting, remember the last time you called your pp a bandit :eek:

Darren24

Assistant Pro
Visit site
A bandit for one game NO
a bandit for 3+ games with high score YES regardless of their handicap.

like it's been mentioned we all have it in us to hit 40+ points in a game but not consistently.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Never.

I've been called a bandit at least once or twice a year for more years than I can remember. Strangely enough, being a low/mid single figures h'capper for xxxxx years the majority of people that call me a bandit are higher handicappers.

U

User62651

Low handicappers are never jealous of a higher handicapper scoring well but they may be frustrated with the fact that they can never score 46 pts. People seem to forget in club golf that fewest shots is what wins at golf, handicaps are good to a point but at a lot of clubs there is only one comp per year (club champs) where the best golf is rewarded. Not sure that's quite the right balance.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Low handicappers are never jealous of a higher handicapper scoring well but they may be frustrated with the fact that they can never score 46 pts. People seem to forget in club golf that fewest shots is what wins at golf, handicaps are good to a point but at a lot of clubs there is only one comp per year (club champs) where the best golf is rewarded. Not sure that's quite the right balance.

:thup:

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

Spot on, apart from the frustrated bit. If a higher handicapper posts 46pts, good luck to him/her and well done. Its been happening forever and a day, and in the dim and distant past I'll have done it - can't remember that far back though.

The only handicap bandits are those that actively manage their handicaps to an artificially high level in the hope that it'll give them a better chance of scooping the prizes.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Spot on, apart from the frustrated bit. If a higher handicapper posts 46pts, good luck to him/her and well done. Its been happening forever and a day, and in the dim and distant past I'll have done it - can't remember that far back though.

The only handicap bandits are those that actively manage their handicaps to an artificially high level in the hope that it'll give them a better chance of scooping the prizes.

:thup:

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Playing at Cooden last year, Chris (Golfmmad) had a terrific round in the morning scoring 46 points. Now having played with Chris on many occasions I know the guys game. He is a genuine bloke, and would have been really (really) chuffed to have scored 36 or 37 points and played to his handicap. When I was told he had scored 46 points I rushed to congratulate him. He was made up, you could see how proud he was, I have never seen him so pleased and excited. The term "bandit" never even entered my head, and I was so pleased for him I rearranged the prize fund to present him with a "special prize" (the morning round was a team event and his brilliant score didn't figure in the winning teams).
He deserved it and I had no qualms in doing so.
Bandits to me are the ones that go out and regularly expect to score 36 points as a minimum, who visit a new course and come off after scoring 41 points moaning that they should have had more, despite the fact that they have just taken the money yet again. You soon get to remember who they are, and can suss them out fairly quickly on the course. If one of these type of players had shot 46 points at Cooden that day, there was no way I would have rearranged the prize fund for them.
Everybody is entitled to a good round every now and then. But some people see 36 points as a right. And that is wrong.

D

Deleted Member 1156

A 'bandit' is someone who regularly plays below handicap, you cannot put a number on it. McIlroy playing off scratch would be a bandit.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think its possible if the CSS was 69 (38 points) then the OP could have shot 46 points and Net Difference would be 8 under.

How many times: CSS or SSS have no bearing on the number of points scored. The OP plays off of 19 and shot 82 (8 under handicap) on a par 71 course and says he scored 46 points. You can stick and number you want on SSS and CSS, it won't change the actual gross score or number of points.

SSS at Blackmoor is 1 over par, if I score 36 points I do 't go round telling everyone I scored 37.

Last edited:
G

guest100718

I find golf society's are bandit territory. We don't allow new members to win on the first event unless they have a congu handicap. to often people say I don't have a handicap, best put me down for 28.......

Dellboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Not got time at the moment to put up my scores, as I'm sat in traffic on the M3 ( I'm not the driver ) but when I get home tonight I will put up what and which hole I scored, seeing as many here don't seem to believe its possible.

I had the card checked by two others, so unless all 3 of us made mistakes I'm sure it's right.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not got time at the moment to put up my scores, as I'm sat in traffic on the M3 ( I'm not the driver ) but when I get home tonight I will put up what and which hole I scored, seeing as many here don't seem to believe its possible.

I had the card checked by two others, so unless all 3 of us made mistakes I'm sure it's right.

Not saying it isn't possible, just highly unusual.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I find golf society's are bandit territory. We don't allow new members to win on the first event unless they have a congu handicap. to often people say I don't have a handicap, best put me down for 28.......

Ive played a couple of Charity events like this. one a guy said exactly that.... plus he hadn't played in a long time etc. shot mid 70 gross around fortrose which is a par 69 SSS 68. and took the first prize smiling!!!!!

at another, lots of guys who didn't play, all given 28, one shoot 80 gross again par 69 SSS 67 turned out he had a handicap of 16 still kept the prize!!!

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
How many times: CSS or SSS have no bearing on the number of points scored. The OP plays off of 19 and shot 82 (8 under handicap) on a par 71 course and says he scored 46 points. You can stick and number you want on SSS and CSS, it won't change the actual gross score or number of points.

SSS at Blackmoor is 1 over par, if I score 36 points I do 't go round telling everyone I scored 37.

I'm not saying the points change, the OP said that he shot 46 points.

I think you said that equates to 10 under handicap?

Not necessarily is what I am saying, for handicap adjustment purposes, it may well have been 8 under (net diff) if the CSS/SSS was assumed 69/70.

Supposing he got cut that day, could it not be 8 x .3 (2.4 shots)?

Not necessarily 10 x.3 (3 shots)?