When do you stop becoming a bandit ?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I knew a guy who never shot anywhere near his handicap! Always 10 points one way or the other!

He was happy to be called a (potential) bandit and was quite popular as a Pairs partner! :whistle: He regularly drove a 320yd Par 4, but also regularly played his 2nd shot from the adjoining fairway or the trees between them!

D

Deleted member 18588

I'm not saying the points change, the OP said that he shot 46 points.

I think you said that equates to 10 under handicap?

Not necessarily is what I am saying, for handicap adjustment purposes, it may well have been 8 under (net diff) if the CSS/SSS was assumed 69/70.

Supposing he got cut that day, could it not be 8 x .3 (2.4 shots)?

Not necessarily 10 x.3 (3 shots)?

Exactly.

The confusion arises partly from Stableford being used as a benchmark for handicaps in all strokeplay comps whereby triple bogeys and above are effectively discounted and competitions that are Stablefords.

In the example you give the player would need to score 38 points to play to handicap so 46 points is eight under handicap.

morgs

Club Champion
Visit site
Once shot an 81 against a par of 70, played off 27 at the time. Eventually came in with 51 points. Uproar in the club house from the rear guard as I was one of the first ones out that morning. Was quite funny really as the week after in the Texas scramble I was partnered with two seniors who had slated me the previous week. Unfortunately I couldn't perform the previous weeks shenanigans, that was probably down to having a big cut from the week before.

D

Deleted member 18121

I was talking with my PP yesterday on the way home from golf..... I'm an 18 handicapper and have scored par on every hole on my course, so know I'm capable of it....but stringing them together is another thing. But I know it's possible.

jpjeffery

Assistant Pro
learnergolfer.wordpress.com
I will never forget playing a singles match against a fella at our place who was a renowned misery and never happy losing to higher handicappers. I was off 16 at the time and he was off 10.

We reached the turn and I have to say I had played pretty steadily. I think I was 3 or 4 over gross. My opponent had got increasingly more agitated until we stood on the 10th tee and he came straight out with it, pulling no punches. "You're a fu**ing bandit", he says.

"Care to tell me the score?" I asked him. We were all square at the time, with him clearly playing well within his own handicap to keep the match level. He clearly didn't mind playing well himself, but simply couldn't accept me doing it.

The remainder of the round was played in stony silence and I took huge pleasure out of beating him at the 19th.

:clap:

jpjeffery

Assistant Pro
learnergolfer.wordpress.com
I played in our February medal yesterday and scored 34 points. I was (still am) pretty chuffed with that since my previous Stableford scores with the club were 17, 20, 22, 21, and 23.

My playing handicap is 25. So was I a bandit yesterday (I came in 15th overall, 7th in my division)?

Here's the scorecard:

FebMedal.jpg

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm not saying the points change, the OP said that he shot 46 points.

I think you said that equates to 10 under handicap?

Not necessarily is what I am saying, for handicap adjustment purposes, it may well have been 8 under (net diff) if the CSS/SSS was assumed 69/70.

Supposing he got cut that day, could it not be 8 x .3 (2.4 shots)?

Not necessarily 10 x.3 (3 shots)?

He also said he shot 82 (11 over so 8 under handicap). I what you're saying about nett scores etc but in this instance the facts are on the table, no nett scores required.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Not read all the topic but one thing that springs to mind is why does it have to be just an individual that is classed as a bandit.

what I mean by that is the other week I played in a best two from four stapleford comp. playing off 3/4 handicap. We went round in 74 points, played the par threes poorly and came seventh. The winning team shot 94 points, and won by ten points.
There hcaps ranged from low to high hcap. Eyebrows were raised but I just thought if we had played to our potential and sunk half of our putts we would of been challenging them.
Funny thing is four days later I bladdered our front nine in 44 and my playing partners were saying there gonna speak to the hcap committee to get me dropped. After shooting 50 on the back nine I think they were embarrassed to be with me.

quick edit to say, first comp I ever played in was captains day, with my brother who I played with for the first time ever. Long story short, I flippin won it with 42 points. The importance of winning was lost on me for about 5 mins. Now for one that is known to waffle, I was lost for words when I was asked to make a thankyou speech. One of the lads can be a bit of a Bertie big balls. An when he's like that, some of my playing partners ask him to look at my name on the captains board.

Last edited:

Fraz

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I joined a new club at the start of winter and proceeded to shoot a +4, 74, for 47 points off a 16 handicap. Great way to introduce yourself in a new club!

I will take all bandit comments happily while i continue to improve! My playing partner is off scratch and its easy to see how they get fed up with handicap comps, can come in 3 or 4 under gross and be nowhere near a prize!

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not read all the topic but one thing that springs to mind is why does it have to be just an individual that is classed as a bandit.

what I mean by that is the other week I played in a best two from four stapleford comp. playing off 3/4 handicap. We went round in 74 points, played the par threes poorly and came seventh. The winning team shot 94 points, and won by ten points.
There hcaps ranged from low to high hcap. Eyebrows were raised but I just thought if we had played to our potential and sunk half of our putts we would of been challenging them.
Funny thing is four days later I bladdered our front nine in 44 and my playing partners were saying there gonna speak to the hcap committee to get me dropped. After shooting 50 on the back nine I think they were embarrassed to be with me.

These comps are the real bandit country at my club. Best 2 of 4, betterball, foursomes, winter leagues, any non qualifiers bring out the repeat winners who surprisingly do not perform well in or even enter qualifying comps

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
I joined a new club at the start of winter and proceeded to shoot a +4, 74, for 47 points off a 16 handicap. Great way to introduce yourself in a new club!

I will take all bandit comments happily while i continue to improve! My playing partner is off scratch and its easy to see how they get fed up with handicap comps, can come in 3 or 4 under gross and be nowhere near a prize!

If the prizes are allocated in divisions, then your partner is much more likely to get some return for his comp fee.

Ads749r

Head Pro
Visit site
I don't think it necessarily ever goes away unless you reach single figures, and then I'm picking an arbitary cut off point. Normally said by those that have played poorly and shot over handicap and tinged by a hint of jealousy. It can be said in mocking and friendly fashion too and I'm often calling Ads749r a bandit, especially after his last few months but I know how hard he's been working with our assistant and pleased to see him getting his due rewards
I take it as a compliment as it means I must be playing well and it is funny to say amongst friends. It's been muttered to me a couple of times whilst playing against other people who don't know me and it gets me annoyed as it's there way of calling me a cheat but using the word in a jokey type of way, it just makes me focus more and I start playing better.

i think anybody below 10ish stops becoming a bandit as they probably have the skills and good consistency to score well all the time but to have an amazing round every now and then. I don't like reading or hearing stories of clubhouse hermits shouting out bandit to other players to make them feel awkward and ashamed.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I take it as a compliment as it means I must be playing well and it is funny to say amongst friends. It's been muttered to me a couple of times whilst playing against other people who don't know me and it gets me annoyed as it's there way of calling me a cheat but using the word in a jokey type of way, it just makes me focus more and I start playing better.

i think anybody below 10ish stops becoming a bandit as they probably have the skills and good consistency to score well all the time but to have an amazing round every now and then. I don't like reading or hearing stories of clubhouse hermits shouting out bandit to other players to make them feel awkward and ashamed.

Don't stop doing what you're doing as long as you do it in non-qualifiers until we win the winter league or better ball even next month. Then you can wear your biggest Sombrero and I'll feed the donkey in the car park Pedro

HDID Kenny

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Played on Saturday in Stableford scored 48 pts other than a chip in for a birdie 2 and a putt from off the green for a birdie 4 it was all ordinary stuff, even managed a double bogey 5 on the shortest hole on the course, 41 out (6 over) 35 back (1 under) 76 less 17 = 59
Sounds all very bandit like but honestly it wasn't :smirk: