What's your favourite short par 4?

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
With it being Riviera week, or 'Riv' if you're part of the in crowd, we've got the short par-14 10th where we all get to see how a 315-yard hole can make the PGA Tour stars look a bit silly.

At Scottsdale we had the 17th and any week where the players can knock it on adds excitement. And we're going to see a lot of them at the Old Course in July. So what's your favourite short 4 and why?

I'll kick us off with the 12th at St Andrews which, in the right wind, can be hit. And you still might make 5 or 6.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Always loved the 5th and 9th at Wimbledon Common. Easily reachable from Spring to Winter as there was always a lot of roll and always thought of it as a chance to make headway on the field. Both had danger if you were wild off the tee

evemccc

Visit site
The two short par 4s on the back 9 of Woodhall Spa’s Hotchkin, 16 and 17(?) are good - I also liked the shortish par 4 at Ganton - was it 14, and the short par 4 at Hollinwell, which I’m sure is the 11th

I love a short par 4 that makes you think about club choice and approach, rather than just a ‘automatic reach for the driver’ type of hole

Having said that, I love short par 3s, long par 3s, long par 4s, risk / reward short par 5s, and monster par 5s…I think I just love golf ?

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
9th at Old Course St Andrews. ;)

Always liked the 5th at Reading. Not so keen when they added new bunkers, and now it is gone forever.:(

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
8th on the Turnberry Kintyre course. Drive to the top of the hill and then an 80-yard pitch down into the bay with the sea and seals all around. Epic view.
The 14th at Pyrford was always fun to play. Went for it the first time I ever played there, hit the green and then never tried it again. Was under par gross from laying up each time though over the next 15 years.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
They are great holes in pro events if set up properly. At the end of the week if there have been eagles and doubles, that is about what is required.

I thought about the 3rd at Sunningdale Old. It is really pretty. Reachable for many. Trouble-a-plenty if you miss. I think removing the front left bunker would make it more tempting too! Even if laying up and flicking on, there are some tricky slopes on the green.

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
This has reminded me of the starter's advice at Dornoch to play the 177-yard 2nd as a short 4, lay up and take your chances with a chip and a putt

Ignored him both rounds and doubled twice

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
3rd, 8th and 9th at my club home club Nairn 17 also gets a mention. Other would be 6th at Tain and 5th at Dornoch. Love a short par 4.

D

Deleted member 1147

15th on the 2010
6th? at camberley
3rd at Sherwood Forest
6th st Seacroft

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Not sure if some people understand the definition of favourite:p Some seem to think they can just name a bunch of short par 4s and that covers it

D

Deleted member 1418

Always loved the 5th and 9th at Wimbledon Common. Easily reachable from Spring to Winter as there was always a lot of roll and always thought of it as a chance to make headway on the field. Both had danger if you were wild off the tee

Yes but they always played better as the 16th and 2nd at London Scottish! London Scottish was there first after all.......!! ?