What's you club most famous for...

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Wallasey Golf Club, the home of stableford

For me this wins as it single handedly made golf more enjoyable. Mr Stableford was a very fine man indeed.

I don't want to reign on the parade of the Dr Mackenzie posters but he designed an awful lot of courses in the UK, as well as Augusta.

Nothing particularly famous about my course, Burgham Park, too new, other than Mark James had a hand in its design, although read above for the uniqueness of course designers, ha ha.

bernix

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Our course held the Ladies Austrian Open for a record 9 times
Our club has 11 active golf societies
GC Föhrenwald

D

Deleted Member 1156

Nothing really that I can think of apart from having a former British Amateur champion that played in the Masters with Nick Faldo (defending champion) and Tiger Woods (US amateur champion). We also have the fantastic par 4 7th hole that nobody has worked out how to play properly.

Oh......and we are also the best course in Dorset :cool:

simmb

Club Champion
Visit site
Wallasey Golf Club, the home of stableford

Not my home club but I played there last year and I am pretty sure Glamorganshire golf club in Cardiff were claiming the same about a certain Mr Stableford. Unless they are talking about his brother Mr Stapleford.

Svenska

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As far as I know, nothing.

Hahaaaa same as my club I think? It's funny as I think my club is an all round better course than the two close by (Nuneaton and Atherstone) yet they both have produced some ryder cup and world class golfers, whereas Hinckley (my club) has produced very little!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not my home club but I played there last year and I am pretty sure Glamorganshire golf club in Cardiff were claiming the same about a certain Mr Stableford. Unless they are talking about his brother Mr Stapleford.

GM did a piece a while ago about Mr Stableford and how his system was created whilst at Wallasey. He might have played at Glamorganshire at some stage but the history books lay the credit at the door of him at Wallasey. As you say, maybe it was his bitter brother who suggested it over breakfast one day and found big brother told the rest of the world before he did and so claimed the credit.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

They will claim it with similar (but not the same) histroy ie, it was invented at Glamorganshire and first played in comp at Wallasey.

From Wallaseys website

"Stableford had experimented with a scoring system when briefly a member of Glamorganshire in 1898. He took the scores from a normal bogey competition and used a points system to identify a 'winner', but the system proved unsatisfactory and was not repeated. It was only many years later at Wallasey that he devised a formula that worked. "I was practising on the 2nd fairway at Wallasey Golf Club one day in the latter part of 1931", he said, "when the thought ran through my mind that many players in competitions got very little fun since they tore up their cards after playing only a few holes and I wondered if anything could be done about it" The result was the Stableford scoring system, and club golfers have been indebted to the good doctor ever since.
Wallasey held the first Stableford competition on 16th May 1932, and it was an instant success. As an everlasting tribute to Dr Stableford, Wallasey introduced "The Frank Stableford Open Amateur Memorial Trophy" in 1969. Of course, the event is played as a Stableford, and it has become a major event in the amateur golfing calendar."