What's you club most famous for...

Fish

Banned
Visit site
OK, this can be quite subjective as what's quite a big deal and historically important to 1 person, another may not see it in the same light.

So, and as I know there a few people at the same clubs on here, it may throw up some variables at some clubs.

I initially only thought the most notable or nationally known thing my club (Coventry GC) was famous for in golfing terms was creating the format 'Bogey Golf'.

However, I have just learnt that the one and only Seve Ballesteros made his first Professional debut at Coventry Golf Club in 1974 in what was called the Piccadilly Medal, which was played at Hillside, Coventry, Southerndown, Princes & Wentworth.

The winner that year was Maurice Bembridge, a four time member of the GB&I Ryder Cup team at the height of his career.

So what is your club famous for?

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/look-coventry-golf-clubs-120-8578618.amp

Piccadilly.jpg

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

It has a hole that Henry Longhurst put in his top 100 holes in the country and Ian Poulter was our assistant Pro

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's in the middle of Aintree race course, home of arguably the most famous and loved horse race in the world. You even get to hit over beeches brook...

Chokeahontas

Medal Winner
Visit site
I dunno, it used to host the Europro but hasn't for a while. It's a relatively new course so doesn't have a lot of history.

It always figures in the top 10 winter courses lists, I guess that's probably what it gets most recognition for.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It's in the middle of Aintree race course, home of arguably the most famous and loved horse race in the world. You even get to hit over "the fence"...

Fixed mate, that is one of the jumps isnt it?:)

Ours was the first course built in Britain after WWII, and the Beatles first paid gig was in our clubhouse - Lee park gc.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We are co-founders (with Sherborne G.C) of the South of England Boys Open which has a trophy given by Tony Jacklin of a gold plated putter presented to him by Ping.

It is a competition which gives a chance to glimpse the stars of the future and forms part of the Junior world rankings.

Break90

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Ours holds the Lagonda Trophy, a top amateur open each year, with previous winners including Lee Westwood, Luke Donald, Andy Sullivan, Oliver Fisher amongst others.

Also Russell Claydon is a member.

quinn

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Our clubhouse was opened by Walter Hagen, followed by him playing an exhibition match, also had one of our old pro's play in the Ryder cup,