What's more important?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I think that depends on the circumstances on the day. For example, if I'm out on my own for a knock and the ball finishes in a divot hole, I'll move the ball. If I'm in a comp, the ball gets played from the divot hole.

The score at the end of a casual knock won't be accurate, but that at the end of the comp will.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
The game of golf
Or
The rules of golf

Some may say you can't have one without the other or can you?

I suppose it depends on if you mean the rules as they currently are are rules in general. I would argue you can have a perfectly enjoyable game of casual golf and not adhere to every rule as they currently stand as long as everyone involved is OK with it. When I play on my own I probably break a few rules, most unknowingly, but I have an enjoyable round. But you need some basic rules that everyone adhere's to.

But if you are in a competition situation then you have to abide by whatever the current rules are.

I did see once a list of 5 or 6 basic rules that were an example of what you should follow if you were new to the game. Can't remember where it was but I thought it was a good list at the time to get people started.

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
The Rules and their honest and stringent application is fundamental to much of the way (and enjoyment) of Golf the game.

That said, certain 'Local' Rules are applied in the regular social games I play, depending on the conditions. 'Gimmees' are frequent and 'plugged in the rough', or even 'lift clean and place in the semi' during soggy periods of Winter are played. Such variations, which would not be allowed/done in competitions (though 'plugged in the rough/through the green' might be a real LR in some places we play) enhance our enjoyment of the game on the day/in the conditions!

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
How can a game exist without at least one rule to begin to define it?
Or to put it another way "what game?"

Having said that you don't need rules in order to walk round a course and swing a club from time to time - rules are only really necessary to enable people to compete.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
The game I'd say. The game must have been played before needing rules to govern it. However, both now go hand in glove for me

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Defiantly the game,if you don't have the game what use are the rules.
If you don't define any rules how do you know what the game is?
There must be scores of games which involve a ball and a stick of sorts. How would you know where to start, what to do, how do you decide a winner (if any), when do you finish, is the stick used to move the ball or for measuring ....?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
so If I tee of on tee one and my lands next to the hole on the 2nd green can I putt out and say I had a birdie.

As per rule fan unless the game is defined it is a free for all with no real purpose.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'd say the game is more important. The rules are a prerequisite for standardised (read competitive) golf, but not enjoyment of the game.
You are with a friend. He presents you with a board you have never seen before together with a couple of cubes which have dots painted on each side.
He says "Fancy a game?".
"What do we do?" you ask.
He describes the way to play and you ask "What is it called?"
He replies "I don't know. I'm making it up as I go along."
And in doing so he is defining the rules. Until he has done that, you can't play whatever he is describing. There is no game to play.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Hitting a ball around a field until it goes in a hole
You can do that without rules
Once you begin to structure it - that's when you need rules.
Does a 5 year old, hitting a plastic ball with a plastic club on the local Rec, need rules?
They're still playing golf

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hitting a ball around a field until it goes in a hole
You can do that without rules
Once you begin to structure it - that's when you need rules.
Does a 5 year old, hitting a plastic ball with a plastic club on the local Rec, need rules?
They're still playing golf
Perhaps he's playing hockey or snooker with the 'wrong' end of the stick thing.