What's more important?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
This whole thread sums up why I stopped playing competition golf and have just played fun rounds with mates.

Me too, that's why I asked the question.
Too many people telling you you can't do this, you can't wear those, you must do this, you must drop the ball like this and woe betide you if you even think about about going in the lounge without a jacket and tie on at the weekend.
I guess it isn't just the rules of golf that annoy me, more the local rules.
And don't get me started on Congu

adam6177

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Me too, that's why I asked the question.
Too many people telling you you can't do this, you can't wear those, you must do this, you must drop the ball like this and woe betide you if you even think about about going in the lounge without a jacket and tie on at the weekend.
I guess it isn't just the rules of golf that annoy me, more the local rules.
And don't get me started on Congu

I had 2 incidents in competition rounds in quick succession... Neither of which were directed at me but between playing partners, I thought to myself... I spend too many hours working hard during the week to have my relaxation time ruined as well. So here we are... And I never regretted that decision.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
A scenario many of us have encountered. One of our friends has served his apprenticeship at a driving range, maybe even had a few lessons, and has persuaded you to take him out on the course. Do you make him play every shot as it lies, or do you allow him a few mulligans? Do you make him walk back and play 3 off the tee, or allow him to drop another ball in a place he can at least get a club on the back of the ball?

And how many hours will you be out there if you play it by the rule book? Circumstances surely suggest common sense is better applied than blind adherence? Outside of competition, even a friendly, wagered knock, “rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of fools.”

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
A scenario many of us have encountered. One of our friends has served his apprenticeship at a driving range, maybe even had a few lessons, and has persuaded you to take him out on the course. Do you make him play every shot as it lies, or do you allow him a few mulligans? Do you make him walk back and play 3 off the tee, or allow him to drop another ball in a place he can at least get a club on the back of the ball?

And how many hours will you be out there if you play it by the rule book? Circumstances surely suggest common sense is better applied than blind adherence? Outside of competition, even a friendly, wagered knock, “rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of fools.”
Well said Sir.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Should be obvious, but enjoying the game is most important. Surely every group of mates that plays has overlooked or bent certain rules from time to time? Nobody is ever walking back to the tee in a friendly game for example, are they?? You just drop a new ball and get on with it. If someone has an air shot on the first tee, don't worry, nobody saw that. We'll call it an exuberant practise swing.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Should be obvious, but enjoying the game is most important. Surely every group of mates that plays has overlooked or bent certain rules from time to time? Nobody is ever walking back to the tee in a friendly game for example, are they?? You just drop a new ball and get on with it. If someone has an air shot on the first tee, don't worry, nobody saw that. We'll call it an exuberant practise swing.
But then of course you are playing a different game. ;)
The OP asked about the 'game of golf' and the 'rules of golf' not some other game.

D

Deleted member 1147

I'd warrant the objective was to have fun. And the second guy probably thought "that looks like fun, I want some of that too". And then the first guy said yeah, but you started in front of me - and hence rules were born.

Or, the second guy thought "that looks fun, I'd better create loads of rules, they're enjoying themselves far too much"

Banchory Buddha

Visit site

Surely nobody goes out for a bounce game with rulebook in hand?

However, you should be coaching your new friend in the rules so that if he ever does play in a medal he knows what to do, and what not to do.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Some folk are confusing "objectives" with "rules." ... possibly :ROFLMAO:
Exactly. If golf was a board game, the little bit of paper inside the box would say "Object of play: get your ball into the hole in the fewest attempts, using the golf clubs provided." And then the rules would follow.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
Games need rules. It doesn't matter whether you use the official rules or your own adaptation of them, as long as all the competitors are doing the same.