What's more important?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
So he knows it has to go in a hole. Isn't that a rule of the game he is playing?
Who told him that? He wasn't born with that innate knowledge.

D

Deleted member 15344

for his sake hopefully not some rule stickler who thinks rules are more important than him playing the game and having fun
A clue is in the username
a fan of the rules as opposed to the sport

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
A clue is in the username
a fan of the rules as opposed to the sport
Although I may be a fan of rules I am also a fan of any sport or game I get involved in. But rules help when we are purporting to be playing the same game.
Why do you suggest I am not a fan of this particular sport. You don't even know me. I chose the name because I initially joined because of the Rules of Golf forum.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
No youve said there is no game without the rules thats even worse!
How do you answer old conundrum about the chicken and egg? Surely this was only a mock/joke academic exercise.

Don't unanswerable questions generate a lot of unwarranted heat when people start taking them seriously ;)

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I do know a guy who is a qualified referee, when you play with him its like having an evil version of John Paramor following you.

There's lots of quoting rules subsections and decisions if, god forbid, something happens. For example, even when you take a simple drop, correctly, you get the rule number spouted at you.

I know where he stands :cautious:

Last edited:

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
The definition of game is "an activity that one engages in for amusement or fun". That is what you are doing for the pure fun and challenge of it whilst it evolves - which is the essence I think of Bob's argument. Once it stops being fun or a challenge it withers. If those elements remain then rules will be defined and give it structure. So to my mind you can play a game whilst it still evolves - and in fact we are still seeing that evolution 200 years later. It is no different to the first few times it happened, just a little more sophisticated.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
What came first the chicken or the egg. if you don’t get one, you don’t get the other.