What would you do ....

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I suppose looking at it another way, if you had been short changed you would have gone back and complained so in theory
you should have gone back and given the extra back...;)

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
The legal terminology is, "stealing whilst knowing." You know she made an error but you decided to keep the money = theft.

You can rationalise it any way you want, including she's poor at customer service, but it still leaves you with the label "thief." It also leaves her till to be down and her to potentially lose her job.

As for the "what would you doo..." I'd have given the money back. I'd rather be poor but honest than rich and dishonest.

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Walk out smiling and saying 1-0. And not go back in for a couple of weeks. Had it happen to me a couple of times. Sorry but in this instance I have no qualms. If I get overcharged in a supermarket that's my fault if I don't check the receipt. Or if I get charged for more drinks or an extra sweet in a resturant again my fault for not checking the bill. If an employee of a large chain wants to give me extra money then fair game. But I will say I have honestly corrected mistakes by people in small independent village shops if the person has given me more change.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I suspect the bookies internal systems and checks will tell them exactly which transaction was overpaid and by their own rules they cant expect the error to be corrected after leaving

They can of course ban the punter from using their sites in future

BesCumber

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Normally I would advocate returning the money, but not this time.
The internet is awash with stories of bookmakers refusing to honour bets given in good faith, normally by people who can ill afford it, so what goes around comes around.
Anyway I detest the whole gambling industry and all who work in it. I have good knowledge of the misery this addiction can cause, with repercussions affecting the whole family for years. :angry:

D

Deleted member 21258

My missus told me to go back in and tell her its incorrect. But i thought 'sod it'

What would you of done?

HA HA, what a funny story. And one that there is only one correct answer for.

Sometimes you have to be the better person and get a buzz from that, even though it means you are not financially better off. I would have asked to speak to the owner to ensure the money was booked back in tho....

The wife is always correct.:D

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
are we all sure that a mistake has been made by the op .
what if the dizzy bint behind the counter put the bet in the machine at £30 and paid out on what was her mistake for not doing her job properly , paying out on a winning £30 bet isnt a crime in the eyes of the bookies .
if this is the case lucky bugger .if it isnt the case then i stand by my first post

D

Deleted member 15344

Would have paid the money needed to make the till even up

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I had a customer once who paid me in cash, I checked it a second time as he left and realised he had paid £20 too much and I had to stop him outside as he was about to drive off to give it back - you can guess my answer

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
I had a customer once who paid me in cash, I checked it a second time as he left and realised he had paid £20 too much and I had to stop him outside as he was about to drive off to give it back - you can guess my answer

spend the cash on coke and hookers?

Farmergeddon

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Missing the big question here I think!! If you can justify to yourself not giving back money paid to you in error how far is that from being able to justify to yourself cheating at golf???