What would you do ....

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Part of the problem here is dealing with employee of the year. If it had been Linda Lusardi behind the till the outcome may of been differant.
I was in a charity shop in Tewksbury last year and me mum was in front of me and bought summat for four quid. She paid with a fiver and the owd biddy behind the counter did not have £1 change. I said to the own biddy let me pay my £2 for this Dandy and you will have the pound change.
She got stroppy with me and told me not to be rude as she was dealing with this lady, who was in the queue before me. I told her she's not a lady, she's my mum from Rochdale and I am trying to help you. She sent one of her minions next door for some change.
if I was to take the money back I would give it back to the manager and give him the full story.

Big D 88

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Part of the problem here is dealing with employee of the year. If it had been Linda Lusardi behind the till the outcome may of been differant.
I was in a charity shop in Tewksbury last year and me mum was in front of me and bought summat for four quid. She paid with a fiver and the owd biddy behind the counter did not have £1 change. I said to the own biddy let me pay my £2 for this Dandy and you will have the pound change.
She got stroppy with me and told me not to be rude as she was dealing with this lady, who was in the queue before me. I told her she's not a lady, she's my mum from Rochdale and I am trying to help you. She sent one of her minions next door for some change.
if I was to take the money back I would give it back to the manager and give him the full story.

This is true.

If it was one of the other cashiers my actions would of been different. This employee doesn't have any desire to make the most of her role. She reminds me of a leisure attendant i used to employ. He wanted to turn up, do his own thing, and get paid. When you are in a customer facing position, you should make every effort with the customer.

After several appraisals and no change in his attitude, i let him go. He used to get caught playing with his phone at reception (my pet hate!) amongst other things and couldn't understand why he was being let go.

Now i'd imagine this employee at the bookies has had relevant training, and so you're probably right. I should have taken this up with the manager, although as others have said it should flag up on the settlements etc

As an update, ive been in tonight to put some bets on the footy once more and there were 3 of them working inc both from last night. no one has mentioned it to me and they all know me by first name terms so i'd of thought something would've been said...but nothing.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
i would have went back in because the individual may have to face some consequences for her actions. You also stand a chance of still keeping the extra money anyway.

If a machine paid out too much money? .....happy days.

D

Deleted member 1740

This is true.

If it was one of the other cashiers my actions would of been different. This employee doesn't have any desire to make the most of her role. She reminds me of a leisure attendant i used to employ. He wanted to turn up, do his own thing, and get paid. When you are in a customer facing position, you should make every effort with the customer.

After several appraisals and no change in his attitude, i let him go. He used to get caught playing with his phone at reception (my pet hate!) amongst other things and couldn't understand why he was being let go.

Now i'd imagine this employee at the bookies has had relevant training, and so you're probably right. I should have taken this up with the manager, although as others have said it should flag up on the settlements etc

As an update, ive been in tonight to put some bets on the footy once more and there were 3 of them working inc both from last night. no one has mentioned it to me and they all know me by first name terms so i'd of thought something would've been said...but nothing.

There not allowed to, once you've left the shop there's nothing they can do.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
It usually does, each cashier is accountable for their own till.

We all make mistakes - we all hope that these mistakes don't cost us or cause us or others a problem - and for that to happen we often depend upon the goodwill or forgiveness of others - and sometimes we may likewise depend upon the honesty of others to help us out. The right thing to do is not always that which benefits us most or in the short term - but it is always the right thing. And we all feel better after doing the right thing - when we do what we want to do that can often sit uncomfortably with us, and we don't need that if we can avoid it.

Last edited:

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Missing the big question here I think!! If you can justify to yourself not giving back money paid to you in error how far is that from being able to justify to yourself cheating at golf???

A long way really as they are 2 completely different situations. And people have different moral judgements and standards depending on the individual situation. And making assumptions like this which is rife in golf (oh my god, they have got their shirt untucked, that must mean they will push their trolley over all the greens and not count every other shot) is overly simplistic.

Farmergeddon

Assistant Pro
Visit site
A long way really as they are 2 completely different situations. And people have different moral judgements and standards depending on the individual situation. And making assumptions like this which is rife in golf (oh my god, they have got their shirt untucked, that must mean they will push their trolley over all the greens and not count every other shot) is overly simplistic.
I dont see that at all,the way the world is today if you make a sexist remark you are sexist, if you make a racist joke you are racist, ergo if you do something dishonest you are dishonest, being dishonest means you cheat end of.

Big D 88

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I dont see that at all,the way the world is today if you make a sexist remark you are sexist, if you make a racist joke you are racist, ergo if you do something dishonest you are dishonest, being dishonest means you cheat end of.

i tell me missus im good at golf. Thats dishonest but i dont cheat

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
The ammount of times the boookies have screwed people over, i would have been smiling all the way to the car.

I would agree with that but of course you're not necessarily getting one over on the bookies. The poor cow behind the counter on the living wage might have to make the shortfall up herself.

Like I said before if it was a kiosk or machine that had made an error then happy days but not when it affects individuals.

Big D 88

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I would agree with that but of course you're not necessarily getting one over on the bookies. The poor cow behind the counter on the living wage might have to make the shortfall up herself.

Like I said before if it was a kiosk or machine that had made an error then happy days but not when it affects individuals.

I would argue that the individual is paid to do a job, and if she cannot do that to the necessary standards then she is at fault.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I would argue that the individual is paid to do a job, and if she cannot do that to the necessary standards then she is at fault.

I'm big enough to admit I've made mistakes at work. I'm sure most of us have. Doesn't mean she or anyone else should have a penalty against them for a simple mistake.

Most poeple working on tills wil have fluctuations, even with tills doing it for them. Simple list ages happen.