What pitch mark / divot tool do you use?

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Wasn't fitted for it, bought off the shelf, but these are without doubt the best pitch mark repairer going.

Scotty-Cameron-Divot-Tool-Angles.jpg

Yes, very nice but the prongs become very sharp far too quickly.

M.Harmon

Visit site
I use the Scotty tool even thought I don't have a Scotty.... I find it easier to use than a flat one, I put my thumb behind the bump and push forward. If you know how to repair a pitch mark properly I don't see how this encourages people to use it as a pivot and pull up.. Great tool.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I use the Scotty tool even thought I don't have a Scotty.... I find it easier to use than a flat one, I put my thumb behind the bump and push forward. If you know how to repair a pitch mark properly I don't see how this encourages people to use it as a pivot and pull up.. Great tool.
Problem is, not everybody knows how to do it properly. Seen many people use the Scotty tool to lift the pitch mark out like they are digging up a trip of turf.

More people need to watch Manolo
https://www.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=124486806467275&id=107585551490734&scmts=scwspsdd

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
View attachment 37202

If you hold it the right way round it promotes pushing in. Levering up feels odd due to the angle and your finger underneath restricting any leverage.
The earlier pictures seem to suggest that the engraved face is towards the hole. In which case the fulcrum would be nearer the ground and the natural thing would be to push the 'handle' down thus causing the prongs to lift.

A straight tool pushed in vertically and then forward is better IMO

M.Harmon

Visit site
The earlier pictures seem to suggest that the engraved face is towards the hole. In which case the fulcrum would be nearer the ground and the natural thing would be to push the 'handle' down thus causing the prongs to lift.

A straight tool pushed in vertically and then forward is better IMO

No, I have the bump on top and rest my thumb against it. The bend gives more range to push the pitch mark in than a straight tool for me at least.

M.Harmon

Visit site
Problem is, not everybody knows how to do it properly. Seen many people use the Scotty tool to lift the pitch mark out like they are digging up a trip of turf.

More people need to watch Manolo
https://www.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=124486806467275&id=107585551490734&scmts=scwspsdd

Doesn't matter what tool they use then they will still kill the green by prying up. Even Rick Shiels did it wrong in on of his latest videos and then tried to defend it by saying "some pitch marks need to be pulled up" in the comments section when he was called up on doing it wrong.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I’m not saying you can’t repair a pitch mark with a tee. I’m saying you can’t repair one effectively.

Everyone should carry a pitch mark repairer. Our starter has been known to ask players to produce theirs and, if they can’t, they are sent to the pro shop to buy one before he’ll allow them to step onto the 1st tee.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I’m not saying you can’t repair a pitch mark with a tee. I’m saying you can’t repair one effectively.

Everyone should carry a pitch mark repairer. Our starter has been known to ask players to produce theirs and, if they can’t, they are sent to the pro shop to buy one before he’ll allow them to step onto the 1st tee.
And rightly so. We have been plagued with people not repairing pitch marks. Although it seems to have improved since the club had a quiet word with one particular group.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Got a number of push button flicky thingy mabobs in an array of nice colours from Amendoeira I bought to get rid of my euros.

mister v

Visit site

that is a fantastic idea....... although i could easily argue that i dont hit the green and have many score cards to prove it!!!!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
that is a fantastic idea....... although i could easily argue that i dont hit the green and have many score cards to prove it!!!!
Ah - but in respect of pitch marks every player has a responsibility to those that will follow and to the club and greens team, and that is to repair any pitch marks they find on a green they are playing, or have just played - not simply any he or his group may have made. If everyone repaired a pitch mark or two, I will often do this when it is not me to putt, there would never be an issue.

And to OP question...a very simple flat, two-pronged metal thing. All that is needed to repair pitch marks properly as per the video.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
With regard to pitch marks not being repaired, I read somewhere that one of the main problems is people only look in the immediate vicinity of their ball, thinking they can stop the ball dead every time when in reality the ball always rolls on more than we think.