How do you deal with poor etiquette

la_lucha

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Myself and my best mate/playing partner were out as a two ball yesterday in our clubs bogey comp. I had a poor start going two down then I managed to get myself back to all square before going on a straight run of five losses. My PP however was all square up until 11 which he blobbed. Then on the twelfth he managed to come up 2inches short for a half. I am standing six foot away ready to putt to save a half having won the previous hole.

What he did then astounded me, he walked up to his ball which is just left of the hole from where I am playing and proceeded to try to whack his ball with the putter into neverneverland, two failed whacks saw him kick his ball away and scuff the green from 6 inches right up to the cup. Bear in mind that I'm still six foot away with a tricky right to left uphill putt to save a half.

He then storms off to the next tee and doesn't watch as I scream one down the middle, doesn't say nice shot or even acknowledge that I've hit the ball. He steps up to his no practice swing and blasts the living daylights out of it.

It continues like this up to the 15th tee. Where I played another nice one down the middle, he hooks his into the trees, sees it's going left and doesn't bother watching it.

As you can imagine I'm struggling to hold it together thinking about what an awful mate/pp he is being but I managed to win the last two holes without him congratulating me or acknowledging the scores that I'm shouting out.

Now we are on the 15th I'm standing 150 out bang in the center knowing it's a steady 8 or a hard 9 into the center of the green for a two putt par. This would put me two off the leader with three to play.

He then spends the best part of 5 minutes looking for his ball in completely the wrong area. (dilemma 1. would you help him look for it given he hasn't spoken to you for the best part of an hour).

When I eventually get to play my shot the rhythm is gone and I play it short ending up with a loss. He doesn't play the hole and stands playing on his phone while I play out the hole. No tending the flag, no taking an interest in me just being a silly child.

When I finished this hole I said are you going to start taking a bit of interest in what I'm doing and tending flags etc as I could be onto at least a tie for the win. He says yes but doesn't walk to the next tee with me and waits halfway down the 16th fairway. I hit it left into the rough, which is open to the green but behind trees from the tee, he walks off to the green leaving me to find the ball that landed within 20 yards of where he was standing.

I then duffed the second into the front bunker that protects the green because my head is well and truly gone, thinking about how a best mate can be acting so bad.

I had 5 losses in a row, he had two and spat his dummy out.

Obviously being a little upset I ignored his offer of a handshake after I putted out for another loss on the 18th.

So how would you have dealt with this and would you think about reporting it to the committee? This was a club comp where he just stopped playing after thirteen for no good reason, whilst showing an absolute lack of respect for his playing partner. I book him in to play in the comps with me so he never worries about when he is going play on a Sunday.

He's my best mate so I don't want to upset/fall out with him, but he just absolutely ruined what could've been a good round for me.

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
He's my best mate so I don't want to upset/fall out with him, but he just absolutely ruined what could've been a good round for me.

This is perhaps the hardest bit to understand!!. However it's probably due to this that he behaves the way he did. Would he have done the same with a stranger? I doubt it. If he is your mate then have a word, tell him he was out of order and ruined your day etc. If he's the mate you say he is then he should realise that, apologise and not put on such a show in future. If he is like this with everyone he plays with then just don't play with him in comps and tell him straight why.

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't think there is any need to report it IMHO. I would be telling him that he showed you a total lack of respect and you feel he also takes you for granted. I don't know if this has happened before to you but I would tell him if he does it again you wont be playing with him again, ever.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Learn to play in your own bubble. What he does should have no effect on your swing/score. Easily said I know but, basically, that's what you've got to learn to do. Develop a trigger to your routine that will allow you to switch off to what's going on around you. It is achieveable...

You can't control someone's behaviour out on the course. You can only respond to what they do, and ask them not to do it. After that, just get on with your game. Assume you'll have to find your own ball etc, and if he helps just see that as a positive... don't see him not helping as a negative.

la_lucha

Tour Rookie
Visit site
This is perhaps the hardest bit to understand!!. However it's probably due to this that he behaves the way he did. Would he have done the same with a stranger? I doubt it. If he is your mate then have a word, tell him he was out of order and ruined your day etc. If he's the mate you say he is then he should realise that, apologise and not put on such a show in future. If he is like this with everyone he plays with then just don't play with him in comps and tell him straight why.

Undoubtedly he behaves worse with me BUT he does do it with strangers. If he has a couple of bad holes etiquette goes out of the window and he'll sulk. OK he won't stop playing but he starts being a real idiot. When this happens usually I just let the other PP's know that he's just being an idiot and does it regularly so I just ignore him. I also make sure that they don't tarnish me with the same brush. During the winter league pairs comps he had a habit of not turning up and not letting people know. I played two or three on my own and I couldn't make two, he didn't get a sub in and play he just failed to turn up. WE were talked about in the clubhouse in poor terms so I try to let everyone know that it was him and not me. It was getting me a poor rep by being associated with him..

la_lucha

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Learn to play in your own bubble. What he does should have no effect on your swing/score. Easily said I know but, basically, that's what you've got to learn to do. Develop a trigger to your routine that will allow you to switch off to what's going on around you. It is achieveable...

You can't control someone's behaviour out on the course. You can only respond to what they do, and ask them not to do it. After that, just get on with your game. Assume you'll have to find your own ball etc, and if he helps just see that as a positive... don't see him not helping as a negative.

I think it's the standing and waiting for five minutes after he couldn't be bothered to watch his ball that got into my head in the end. I managed to get something going after the twelfth until that happened.

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not condoning his behaviour, but should you not have helped him look for his ball that he hooked left - especially as you knew he was looking in the wrong area? Always difficult dealing with players having a meltdown -there seem to be many out there!

Hopefully he now understands he acted poorly, but a frank conversation prior to your next game sounds in order.

la_lucha

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Not condoning his behaviour, but should you not have helped him look for his ball that he hooked left - especially as you knew he was looking in the wrong area? Always difficult dealing with players having a meltdown -there seem to be many out there!

Hopefully he now understands he acted poorly, but a frank conversation prior to your next game sounds in order.

Maybe, but he whacked it with no intention of it going anywhere down the correct hole, he didn't watch it, he hadn't spoken to me in about an hour for no good reason and he had no idea that i had myself back into contention. Given that he not bothered to hole out the previous two it was pretty obvious that he was not taking it seriously. Why he looked for it at all is beyond me. I think that when we approach the first tee next time I'll have to mention it. Something like I'll not be able to play with you again if you ever do that to me again.

You need a new playing partner.

You're not wrong.

Last edited:

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I think that when we approach the first tee next time I'll have to mention it. Something like I'll not be able to play with you again if you ever do that to me again.

Do it away from the course. You'll spoil the start of your round and his, and potentially he'll turn round and walk back to the car.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I find a nine iron implanted into the forehead gets the message across that I'm not overly thrilled. The guy sounds like a real jerk. I had a guy yesterday that went out in level par gross (21 points) and came back with 4 for the back nine. Not once did he cop a strop and was still encouraging me as I tried to win our comp.

Mate or not I'd be having serious words and would say any repeat and find someone else to play with. You don't nned that grief, let alone in a competition you have a chance of winning

DCB

Visit site
If he's your best mate, tell him to stop being a complete arse and get on with it. He should understand. If he doesn't then he's being an even bigger arse

la_lucha

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Do it away from the course. You'll spoil the start of your round and his, and potentially he'll turn round and walk back to the car.

I'm driving so he can't ;)

I find a nine iron implanted into the forehead gets the message across that I'm not overly thrilled. The guy sounds like a real jerk. I had a guy yesterday that went out in level par gross (21 points) and came back with 4 for the back nine. Not once did he cop a strop and was still encouraging me as I tried to win our comp.

Mate or not I'd be having serious words and would say any repeat and find someone else to play with. You don't nned that grief, let alone in a competition you have a chance of winning

That's a real playing partner and is the way I try to act.

If he's your best mate, tell him to stop being a complete arse and get on with it. He should understand. If he doesn't then he's being an even bigger arse

We've been here before in other situations, he doesn't understand.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Have to admit Id have told him on the course to stop acting like a spoilt brat and spoiling my game as well as his own. Would then follow that up with a chat along the lines of if he ever does anything similar again he will be looking for a new playing partner, permanently, mate or no mate. If he doesnt understand then its yours to make him do so, and I expect some tough love gonna be needed

Jabba

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I wouldn't play with him again. I'd also point out that the only reason I hadn't reported him for wilfully damaging the green was because he's a friend.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Strange that no one has said this, but if he is your "best mate" then surely you can say anything to him and should have done as soon as he started to be a d1ck. I know my best mate would have actually appreciated me giving him a few sharp words if he behaved as your mate did.

la_lucha

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Get him a baby's dummy. Hand it to him on the first tee, say "I got you this, to replace the one you spat out last time".

That's a cracking idea. I'm gonna get the Mrs to dig one out and I'll hand it to him on the first tee on Thursday. It's a fun way of saying stop being a d*ck. Should get the message across without causing upset.

I might actually buy a brand new two pack and say these are to replace the one you spat out on monday, when you spit these out I'm not going to be able to play with you again.

Last edited:

la_lucha

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Strange that no one has said this, but if he is your "best mate" then surely you can say anything to him and should have done as soon as he started to be a d1ck. I know my best mate would have actually appreciated me giving him a few sharp words if he behaved as your mate did.

Unfortunately he can't take advice from anyone once he gets into that sort of mood and if you mention it you're just looking to get both barrels.