How do you deal with poor etiquette

D

Deleted member 15344

Why did his behaviour suddenly change ?! After one blob he went into meltdown ?

la_lucha

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Why did his behaviour suddenly change ?! After one blob he went into meltdown ?

Two!!! this is what I couldn't understand, he had ten decent holes to be level. We knew that plus one was the leader with only three people left to play after us. All of a sudden he loses two holes and really spits the dummy out. I've never seen anything like it. At -2 with 6 holes to play he had a very good chance of winning it.

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'd be giving him another chance but the dude needs a wake up call.
I used to be a bit angry on the course, not to this level, but noticeable. I didn't really realise that I was that bad til my mate started taking the mick. I was pretty embarrassed and have chilled out a lot. We play this game for fun, that's what I try to remember.

D

Deleted member 15344

Two!!! this is what I couldn't understand, he had ten decent holes to be level. We knew that plus one was the leader with only three people left to play after us. All of a sudden he loses two holes and really spits the dummy out. I've never seen anything like it. At -2 with 6 holes to play he had a very good chance of winning it.

Has he ever done it before ?! Seems very strange

la_lucha

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Has he ever done it before ?! Seems very strange

Normally he sulks and whacks just because we are with other people, but because it was just with me he gave up. I couldn't believe it when he was mucking around wrecking the 12th green. I said do you mind not doing that when I'm waiting to play and he actually looked at me and laughed.

D

Deleted member 15344

Normally he sulks and whacks just because we are with other people, but because it was just with me he gave up. I couldn't believe it when he was mucking around wrecking the 12th green. I said do you mind not doing that when I'm waiting to play and he actually looked at me and laughed.

Seems a very strange reaction then if it's out of the blue and uncommon

Would have a chat with him to see if there is something else going on ?

mcbroon

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Strange that no one has said this, but if he is your "best mate" then surely you can say anything to him and should have done as soon as he started to be a d1ck. I know my best mate would have actually appreciated me giving him a few sharp words if he behaved as your mate did.

Unfortunately he can't take advice from anyone once he gets into that sort of mood and if you mention it you're just looking to get both barrels.

He sounds like a great guy. I'd say you need to find some better mates.

If one of my mates behaved like this guy did, I'd tell them there and then to wise up. And I'd expect them to do the same to me.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Seems a very strange reaction then if it's out of the blue and uncommon

Would have a chat with him to see if there is something else going on ?

I agree with this. Don't judge until you ask if he was OK as his behaviour was unusual for him (say it was unusual even if wasn't) After all - that's what friends are for. He will know he was totally out of order and could well be too embarrassed to apologise - give him the chance. Say you are OK I(even although you weren't) but are concerned.

la_lucha

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I agree with this. Don't judge until you ask if he was OK as his behaviour was unusual for him (say it was unusual even if wasn't) After all - that's what friends are for. He will know he was totally out of order and could well be too embarrassed to apologise - give him the chance. Say you are OK I(even although you weren't) but are concerned.

He told me he was p*ss*d off with his golf. I've spent alot of time with him this weekend and there is definitely nothing wrong with him, he was just being a prat because he had two bad holes.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
He told me he was p*ss*d off with his golf. I've spent alot of time with him this weekend and there is definitely nothing wrong with him, he was just being a prat because he had two bad holes.

Well you tell him he is likely to lose more friends that he makes behaving as he did. He should get the message.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I'd sit down with a pen and paper and write down all the pro's and cons of playing with him. I'd write down what I'm out there for and the pleasure I get from the game. I'd consider how long I've known him and why golf has such a detrimental affect on his mind and how that affects his etiquette and then I'd screw the paper up, chuck it in the bin and tell him to go stick his company where the sun don't shine!

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I used to play golf with someone who sounds very similar to your friend. My whole round was effectively being dictated by the mood he was in. If he was having a good day and things were going right he was great to be with. However, as soon as something went wrong then suddenly he was taking shots out of turn, throwing clubs, damaging the course (i.e. not repairing divots, raking sand etc). It all became too much and I now simply don't play golf with him.

la_lucha

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I used to play golf with someone who sounds very similar to your friend. My whole round was effectively being dictated by the mood he was in. If he was having a good day and things were going right he was great to be with. However, as soon as something went wrong then suddenly he was taking shots out of turn, throwing clubs, damaging the course (i.e. not repairing divots, raking sand etc). It all became too much and I now simply don't play golf with him.
That's him down to a tee.