How do you keep yourself motivated... Trough of disillusionment

V

vkurup

So, now have been 'playing' golf for about 6 years. Like all newbies, I was madly in love with the game. I read everything there was to read, watched everything, bought new shinys, entered every online competition, even followed Mark Crossfield!!. My HC dropped to 17 and I tried to play at every given opportunity and on many courses. I had a blog to record my exploits. I wrote to GM regularly. Managed to win a driver from another magazine..

Then about 18 months ago, things started to slow down. Life and events got in its way, and I have been slowly drifting. I dont read much about golf or watch much of it. I declined an offer for a top course/golf holiday to celebrate a big birthday. Joined a new club, but havent enjoyed it much. Havent played much comps or with my regular PPs. Thanks to the weather, have not been out for about a month or so. Equally, haven't entered much online comps/advents. I put my name down for the Ping fitting. While I would have loved to be selected, however, was worried that if I get selected, I dont really have a swing at the moment and will be 'found out'

This is surely normal thing, As a good consultant, we do have a graph that explains it..
Trough.jpg

So going thru my golf trough of disillusionment... I will need some event to get me out of my slumber. Who knows, I might shoot an ace on a temporary green when no one is looking. That might fire me up.

I am sure others have gone thru the same. How do you keep yourself motivated when your game is out of sorts and you dont get to play very often?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Welcome to the January blues. A combination of a dip in form and little opportunity to get out there and iron out the wrinkles or enjoy the new club. Winter golf can be a war of attrition.

Personally, I couldn't give a monkeys what I score in winter. The lower you get the more the poor conditions can adversely affect your score. For example, if you are a decent chipper and putter, the lack of consistency and pace in the greens can be a grind.

For me, winter golf is just about keeping swinging. The score is secondary.

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
That graph isn't actually used in practice is it??

Just get out and play with NO expectations man, the weather and conditions are dreadful so just enjoy hitting the ball (if you can find it)

V

vkurup

Welcome to the January blues. A combination of a dip in form and little opportunity to get out there and iron out the wrinkles or enjoy the new club. Winter golf can be a war of attrition.

Personally, I couldn't give a monkeys what I score in winter. The lower you get the more the poor conditions can adversely affect your score. For example, if you are a decent chipper and putter, the lack of consistency and pace in the greens can be a grind.

For me, winter golf is just about keeping swinging. The score is secondary.

I think the Jan Blues & the weather is one factor, but I am right now is a longer decline. A bit like a (cricket) batsman who has lost his ability to bat, or like Captain Cook in a one day game..

V

vkurup

That graph isn't actually used in practice is it??

Just get out and play with NO expectations man, the weather and conditions are dreadful so just enjoy hitting the ball (if you can find it)

The graph is a real thing.. It is generally used with technology and known as the hype cycle. You can google it..

V

vkurup

I work in software development and implementation and if someone gave me that graph I'd spit my tea out.

I sense a disturbance in the force... this is common with new tech, so should be in your patch.. check out Gartner Hype cycle... Actually, the graph makes a lot of sense when you use it with new tech.

V

vkurup

I reckon that if it was not for the forum, then I might be even more given up on golf (I wanted to add this line in the original post, but forgot about it). Again, these days I mostly visit the OOB section and have been skipping the main section!!!

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
From reading your op, I'm still not 100% sure why you do not enjoy golf anymore. Is it because your not playing well ? Haven't managed to integrate into your new club ? January blues ?

I guess I keep myself motivated by just enjoying golf and the friendships and camaraderie it brings. I enjoy golf even when I'm playing badly, I don't have many other hobbies and golf it's better than sitting on my backside or doing the shopping !!

Hope me you get your mojo back soon,

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I stop playing between end of October and The Masters*. That tends to get rid of that feeling of ennui about the game.

* except if I have a business trip or holiday somewhere nice and sunny.

Last edited:

selwood90

Head Pro
Visit site
Another sufferer of the January blues here! I shouldn't really moan as apart from this week iv managed 27 holes every week. It's more the conditions I find irritating. Played last week and I'm pretty sure we shouldn't of been out there really. Greens were frozen solid. Literally couldn't make a pitch mark on the green if you tried. Played a full sand wedge into a green that came down from an almighty height and nothing not even a small pitch mark. Roll on summer, literally cannot wait. I'm sure you will rediscover your love for the game when the conditions are right. And remember why you fell in love with this game in the first place. Good luck!

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Need to change something now? If so go find a good pro and go for a 9 hole lesson. If they are good, they'll ask you what you want from the game. You might surprise yourself with the answer.

Is your distancing from the game related to not seeing the same improvement you have up to this point? If you want to get better, see a good pro.

Really though, don't be too hard on yourself, it's brass monkeys out there and plenty wind and water to come. There will come a March evening with a low sun and warm breeze when you find yourself on a deserted course flighting a wedge straight at the pin, and you'll forget this thread ever happened.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Don't put too much emphasis on the score as a measure of improvement this time of the year. If needs be, stay off the course for a couple of weeks. Have a lesson at the start of week 1, and work on the quality of strike.

lets be honest, you could hit the ball sweet as a nut but score horrendously this time of year, which only gives you feelings of negativity.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
So, now have been 'playing' golf for about 6 years. Like all newbies, I was madly in love with the game. I read everything there was to read, watched everything, bought new shinys, entered every online competition, even followed Mark Crossfield!!. My HC dropped to 17 and I tried to play at every given opportunity and on many courses. I had a blog to record my exploits. I wrote to GM regularly. Managed to win a driver from another magazine..

Then about 18 months ago, things started to slow down. Life and events got in its way, and I have been slowly drifting. I dont read much about golf or watch much of it. I declined an offer for a top course/golf holiday to celebrate a big birthday. Joined a new club, but havent enjoyed it much. Havent played much comps or with my regular PPs. Thanks to the weather, have not been out for about a month or so. Equally, haven't entered much online comps/advents. I put my name down for the Ping fitting. While I would have loved to be selected, however, was worried that if I get selected, I dont really have a swing at the moment and will be 'found out'

This is surely normal thing, As a good consultant, we do have a graph that explains it..
View attachment 18168

So going thru my golf trough of disillusionment... I will need some event to get me out of my slumber. Who knows, I might shoot an ace on a temporary green when no one is looking. That might fire me up.

I am sure others have gone thru the same. How do you keep yourself motivated when your game is out of sorts and you dont get to play very often?

I see where your coming from as I have done the same apart from the disillusioned bit
im still in love with the game just not as much as I was when I started.

The key for me is having a goal wether its a handicap one or a personal one,always having a target in mind helps as well.
Most of us when we started eat,sleep and breathe golf as it is new and exiting and we want to be playing all the time however overtime it wains slightly,so the key for me is keep setting targets or goals.
Motivation is hard when nothing is riding on the effort your putting in so add in a reason for practising like playing a top course.

It is tough when the weather gets bad but actually immersing yourself on the practice area for a couple of hours can be quite invigorating.

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I went through a very similar spell like this last year or so. Changed golf clubs and also career which took me time to get into etc. I got away from a lot of things that i enjoyed about playing golf and just didnt feel like playing/couldnt be bothered.

You need to remember what you really enjoyed about golf and what gave you that buzz to start with. I went back to my old club where i had a lot of mates and made time to get back playing regularly with people who helped me enjoy the game to start with etc.

Obviously because i stopped playing as much the game went backwards but now ive got back into the game & enjoying the craic again the game has recovered and is back to where it was.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Going through very similar. Was losing my motivation to play then broke my toe which enforced a two month break. Played one round since but am not gagging to get back on the course. That may change when the sun comes out in a few months but my club want fees for a year before then and I am not going to pay out £750 on the off chance that the love will come back.

Not all of it is the golf, I do not fit in that well at the club so do not feel part of it. Also trying to get fitter and am starting park running on Saturday morning when I did play golf.

End result, I am going to pay out a couple of hundred quid in April to join Sudbrook, the local 9 hole course, which means I can retain a handicap and scratch the itch when it arises and look at membership options again in a year. Meanwhile I will not feel like I do at present, that I am playing golf simply because I have paid a decent chunk of cash for it

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I feel for the OP. Time is precious and when other stuff gets in the way, it can be hard to find the motivations, especially if form is missing. I hope the OP (and others) can fond their mojo once the warmer weather arrives