What Category Are Your Bandits Hiding In?

• Thread starter Deleted member 16999
  • Start date

Which Category

• Cat 1 0-5

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Cat 2 6-12

Votes: 9 19.1%
  • Cat 3 13-20

Votes: 31 66.0%
  • Cat 4 21-28

Votes: 6 12.8%
  • Cat 5 29-36

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

User20204

Visit site
I've known bandits in every category (and been called one in just about every category!), it was amazing how quickly the category 1 guy could get from 1 to 4 and back again depending on what he needed his handicap for - going to Portugal for the annual jolly he's off 4 then suddenly he wants to apply for some comp and he's back down to 1 overnight.

You don't go from 4 to 1 overnight, that would take some serious steady golf over a period of time.

D

Deleted member 21258

Always think someone who is in the range of 9-23 has a huge scope to score very well, when a lot of luck goes their way. A few lucky kicks, a couple of wayward drives being found, a few close chips, a couple of chip ins or mid/long putts dropping and they have 43 points instead of mid to low 30s.

Certainly a lot of time between my rounds is to do with 'luck' as I can not do it very regularly and I can score 30 to 43 points fairly easily when playing similar golf.:oops:

D

Deleted member 25172

I've posted a few really good scores the last couple of months in the weekly swindle and have been rather embarrassed about it all. I’m like a yo-yo, shooting 42+ scores one day and the next I can’t break 30. I seem to have timed my good rounds in for the swindle. I play off 13, but as I won last time down to 11 in the swindle handicap.

My goal is to become as good a golfer I can possibly get, so will never understand the people who actively trying not to lower their handicap.

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
17 handicapper here ... erratic as owt can birdie stroke index 1 then card 2 quads on stroke index 17 and 18

I don’t really care about winning the comps, obviously it’s great if it happens but when you meet a fellow golfer the question is normally “what handicap are you?” Not “ oh how many medals have you won?”

Wolf

Visit site
I've known bandits in every category (and been called one in just about every category!), it was amazing how quickly the category 1 guy could get from 1 to 4 and back again depending on what he needed his handicap for - going to Portugal for the annual jolly he's off 4 then suddenly he wants to apply for some comp and he's back down to 1 overnight.
I'm assuming you're speaking figuratively because if not I'm intrigued as to how someone gets 30x0.1 back quickly then loses it even quicker..

Wolf

Visit site
You would need a lot of comp golf to do that.
But you can lose it faster than getting it back!
I agree a hell of a lot of golf, say an average of losing 0.5 per comp to lose 3 whole shots is 6 comps plus 30 straight 0.1 gains that's some serious planning for handicap protection and hoping comp scores go your way to lose the right amount each time. I just can't see it.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I agree a hell of a lot of golf, say an average of losing 0.5 per comp to lose 3 whole shots is 6 comps plus 30 straight 0.1 gains that's some serious planning for handicap protection and hoping comp scores go your way to lose the right amount each time. I just can't see it.
I must admit I have never met a 1 handicap bandit!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Some of the lads at my club admit they could be lower but don’t see the point of having a lower cap that makes them uncompetitive.
Playing to your cap usually dosnt get you in the top ten.
They play to a comfortable standard and just enjoy their golf.
I am to competitive for that and find it hard to understand.

Wolf

Visit site
I must admit I have never met a 1 handicap bandit!
You and me both in that category I haven't met one either nor have I ever met someone that has the ability to manipulate Cat 1 to such a degree. If you can get that low and keep shooting scores that get such cuts so quickly I'd imagine they could get even better than 1 and probably would try to.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I can really only recall a small number of instances (so they must have been pretty obvious) A cat 1 (4 h/cap) player who was a solid scratch player is one of the memorable instances and a cat 3 guy playing off 24 was another

I don't play often in their happy hunting ground (the Opens) where no doubt they come out the woodwork in numbers for the prizes, meaning much of the shenanigans will pass me by

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm assuming you're speaking figuratively because if not I'm intrigued as to how someone gets 30x0.1 back quickly then loses it even quicker..

Of course, overnight would be impossible (unless you were being naughty with the computer) but the guy was at the golf course 7days a week (perhaps not as much anymore as I don't think he works there now) so would be putting in 2-4 cards a week during the summer so while it wasn't literally overnight it was quicker than most could achieve it.

Perhaps I have my priorities wrong in wearing my handicap as a badge of honour not the number of monthly medals I've collected?

D

Deleted member 25172

Of course, overnight would be impossible (unless you were being naughty with the computer) but the guy was at the golf course 7days a week (perhaps not as much anymore as I don't think he works there now) so would be putting in 2-4 cards a week during the summer so while it wasn't literally overnight it was quicker than most could achieve it.

Perhaps I have my priorities wrong in wearing my handicap as a badge of honour not the number of monthly medals I've collected?

If that is the wrong priority then I'm happy to be wrong with you.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not sure of the discretion that secretaries have.
I've been cut for good matchplay results, but only at the end of the season (i.e. not before I'd won a matchplay competition and finished 2nd in another).

However I've not heard of anyone being cut for playing well in social games or roll ups.

Haven't the rules changed now and all rounds can count?

Wolf

Visit site

Is he playing comps on all those days, I was always under the impression Cat 1 players couldn't submit supplementary cards.

But I'd agree your priorities are in the right place with regards to you handicap I'm the same.