What Category Are Your Bandits Hiding In?

• Thread starter Deleted member 16999
  • Start date

Which Category

• Cat 1 0-5

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Cat 2 6-12

Votes: 9 19.1%
  • Cat 3 13-20

Votes: 31 66.0%
  • Cat 4 21-28

Votes: 6 12.8%
  • Cat 5 29-36

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Is he playing comps on all those days, I was always under the impression Cat 1 players couldn't submit supplementary cards.

But I'd agree your priorities are in the right place with regards to you handicap I'm the same.
Cooke is in poland so they might have a different handicap system, like the one we are going to in 2020

Wolf

Visit site
Cooke is in poland so they might have a different handicap system, like the one we are going to in 2020
Ah now that makes a lot more sense to me I wasn't aware of that..

Makes so much more sense if that's how it works out there.

Teach me to assume it was a UK based player doing the handicap fudgery

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Ah now that makes a lot more sense to me I wasn't aware of that..

Makes so much more sense if that's how it works out there.

Teach me to assume it was a UK based player doing the handicap fudgery

I don't know why he didn't explain that in the first place, i noticed it yesterday and you were still confused (rightly so)

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Is he playing comps on all those days, I was always under the impression Cat 1 players couldn't submit supplementary cards.

Definitely, the club ran a weekly stableford on a Wednesday (when there wasn't a midweek medal or trophy) from when the clocks go forward to when they went back and from about May onwards there would be at least one comp on per weekend and throw in the odd open on top.

And this was a few years before I left the UK

Wolf

Visit site
Definitely, the club ran a weekly stableford on a Wednesday (when there wasn't a midweek medal or trophy) from when the clocks go forward to when they went back and from about May onwards there would be at least one comp on per weekend and throw in the odd open on top.
Makes more sense now I know where you're based as my assumption was based on UK.

Now I know how he does it I almost admire his ability to manipulate it to that extent, that in itself takes some serious planning and trust in ability to go low and get the cuts. Can't for the life of me though ever think why of you're that good you wouldn't want to push further and get lower. But then I like you think differently to the person in question and would prefer to get as low as I can

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Makes more sense now I know where you're based as my assumption was based on UK.

Now I know how he does it I almost admire his ability to manipulate it to that extent, that in itself takes some serious planning and trust in ability to go low and get the cuts. Can't for the life of me though ever think why of you're that good you wouldn't want to push further and get lower. But then I like you think differently to the person in question and would prefer to get as low as I can

I edited to say this was a few years ago before I left the UK, I agree I'd think he could quite easily get into plus figures if he'd wanted to

Wolf

Visit site
I edited to say this was a few years ago before I left the UK, I agree I'd think he could quite easily get into plus figures if he'd wanted to
Sorry mate must have missed the edit.

Shows what some people will do to win I guess, but I'd rather take the plus figure and thankfully there's less people like that than there are genuine players in the game.

User20204

Visit site
I don't understand bandits, I don't care about winning anything, all I care about is being the best golfer I can possibly be and as far as I can see your handicap is the best gauge of how good a player you are.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't understand bandits, I don't care about winning anything, all I care about is being the best golfer I can possibly be and as far as I can see your handicap is the best gauge of how good a player you are.

That's nice. Have fun paying your £3/4/5 each week to play in these club comps to monitor your handicap and getting nowt back.

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
Played with a 17 handicapper yesterday, he was 1 under thru 4 holes :eek: finished with 29 points :unsure:

I'm not sure that makes him a bandit? I know of high handicappers (and was one!) who would be capable of a nice run of holes - I once (as a 21 handicapper I think) had a nice run on our back 9 (holes 12-16) that had 2 birdies and 3 pars, 3 under through five. Was 3 over for the back 9 in total and felt class. Even now when I check my card from Saturday, I can see I played the last 14 holes in 4 over, but the first 4 at 8 over which in totality is about right for my handicap but in isolation for those last 14 holes is misleading. A guy playing bogey golf can put a run of holes together, but is unlikely to be able to do it consistently for the whole round. If you're an improving golfer you'll see that you will see that you can string 3/4/5 holes together that will give you encouragement but will have others calling you a bandit.

I've always thought a bandit was a name given to someone who had just had a good day.
Someone who keeps their h/cap high to win the bigger comps is a cheat, pure and simple

This. High handicap, long hitters get called bandits. Even when their short game stinks. God forbid a high handicapper should hit the fairway! I think a lot of people get labelled incorrectly - if you're protecting your handicap, you're a cheat.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sorry I'm not understanding what you mean by checked ?
Guessing what is meant is that many clubs charge £3-£5 to enter a competition and so if there is no chance of winning, you are just effectively paying to have your handicap assessed every week.

User20204

Visit site
Guessing what is meant is that many clubs charge £3-£5 to enter a competition and so if there is no chance of winning, you are just effectively paying to have your handicap assessed every week.

There is no obligation to pay anything to enter our clubs competitions, if you choose to do so and are in the top 3 of your section then you'll pick up whatever the respective pay out is.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
There is no obligation to pay anything to enter our clubs competitions, if you choose to do so and are in the top 3 of your section then you'll pick up whatever the respective pay out is.
Thast is a good system, can still work on your handicap without paying out. It is £3 a time to enter comps at mine plus £2 for the 2s pot if you want.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think a lot of Cat 3 golfers could be seen to be bandits. They can hit a good ball, score reasonably well and yet still mess up the odd hole, so in match play they can be a potent force.
It often doesn’t mean they are bandits though. They probably play competitions every week and because of the odd bad hole their medal scores are not that great. But in match play you need to be in your A game to beat them. They will gift you a hole or 2 but still have the shots to take you out on the others.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
Does 41 points with 2 blobs off 20HC count ?

It wasn't in a comp, just the usual weekend friendly between myself, Kraxx and Hacker_Hughes

Hoping to keep some of this winter form for the start of the season.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Does 41 points with 2 blobs off 20HC count ?

It wasn't in a comp, just the usual weekend friendly between myself, Kraxx and Hacker_Hughes

Hoping to keep some of this winter form for the start of the season.
not if its on a short winter course;)

Last edited: