What Category Are Your Bandits Hiding In?

• Thread starter Deleted member 16999
  • Start date

Which Category

• Cat 1 0-5

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Cat 2 6-12

Votes: 9 19.1%
  • Cat 3 13-20

Votes: 31 66.0%
  • Cat 4 21-28

Votes: 6 12.8%
  • Cat 5 29-36

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 16999

Much discussion about comps and handicaps, format, limits etc.
In your experience were do you think these bandits lurk.

D

Deleted member 16999

surely thats a trick question... Mate:);)
No, genuine question, we have no handicap limit on our 4BBB comps so i had a search back to see what handicaps are winning them, Cat 3 gave the majority of winners.
That’s also the range we get comments on here about when the TT is discussed.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Cat 3 .
We have a lot of good players that were once single figures.
But lots tell me when the full allowance and latter 9/10ths came into force they decided not to stay as low as they could be. (Don’t really know how you do that).
If you get one of these in the knock out you really need your A game.

I think the game has been made easier for some players but other more established players don’t like the changes.
Right or wrong that’s just what they tell me.

Wolf

Visit site
Not come across any bandits yet at our club as only been there since December.

But from past experience most bandits at my old club sat on Cat 3

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I have only ever seen / played with one guy who I could say 'managed' his handicap and I think it is probably rarer than most would imagine.

He would play sweeps to win cash on non medal days. He had an extremely tidy game. Had a great system for chipping from different distances and could pretty much lay anything stone dead from around the green (assuming he had a bit of green to work with).

He hovered about a 10 or 11, but round his own course he was probably 2 to 3 shots better than that.

I remember playing with him in a medal. Not sure if he would start out to shoot a certain score, but by the back 9 he would know exactly what he had to do. I saw him push a 4 foot putt left of the hole without even touching the cup and then he would just kind of smile and say 'not my day'. But ultimately he was making sure he would be in buffer and didn't want a cut, unless there was money in it. That's the day I realised he was at it.

He'd obviously be in the 2s competition and so would try and make his 2s on the par 3s.

Also he would enter the matchplay events, but would usually not bother playing too many rounds and would give someone the tie. Maybe he'd see who he got, before deciding that. Obviously if you started to progress in a couple of matchplay events, word might get round and the secretary would have a closer look at your handicap.

Also rumours of him going away and playing senior opens midweek and potentially getting prizes for placing in the senior open, making 2s, nearest the pin etc. Then not returning the card to the club for an adjustment.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
No, genuine question, we have no handicap limit on our 4BBB comps so i had a search back to see what handicaps are winning them, Cat 3 gave the majority of winners.
That’s also the range we get comments on here about when the TT is discussed.

i would agree about the cat 3 though prob only worth it to be in that section for the shots. There are a few Cat one but only limited number, as the number of shots would only me small sp prob not worth it.

we do a couple of young guys who are off 12, both PE teachers, never see their names in a medal comp but Match play and Texas scramble/ Team events they clean up, both more than capable of 5 at least.

I know of one real genuine bandit at another club , who was off 6/7 and happy off that until he won a comp and was cut to 5, then played 3 time or more a week and got himself up to 13, cleans up in the alliance (NQ) and all the Knock outs at his club. Was reg winning the sweep in the Alliance every week, which was £60/70

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Cat 3 .
We have a lot of good players that were once single figures.
But lots tell me when the full allowance and latter 9/10ths came into force they decided not to stay as low as they could be. (Don’t really know how you do that).
If you get one of these in the knock out you really need your A game.

I think the game has been made easier for some players but other more established players don’t like the changes.
Right or wrong that’s just what they tell me.

There was a study done on club members handicaps.

I think it was comparing with a period about 20 or 30 years ago. The average handicap at members clubs was 14 or 15. Fast forward to the present day and it hadn't changed. Equipment is all much better, coaching more readily available and the courses are largely the same length but may be in better condition. Yet the handicaps have barely changed.

Ultimately players get to a level, they are comfortable with, a level that their friends play at, and they are all quite happy maintaining similar handicaps and not trying to improve dramatically.

No one wants to play with their mates who are (comfortable) 12 to 15 handicappers and turn up with a handicap of 8 and have to play out of their skin to score on many holes.

D

Deleted member 16999

i would agree about the cat 3 though prob only worth it to be in that section for the shots. There are a few Cat one but only limited number, as the number of shots would only me small sp prob not worth it.

we do a couple of young guys who are off 12, both PE teachers, never see their names in a medal comp but Match play and Texas scramble/ Team events they clean up, both more than capable of 5 at least.

I know of one real genuine bandit at another club , who was off 6/7 and happy off that until he won a comp and was cut to 5, then played 3 time or more a week and got himself up to 13, cleans up in the alliance (NQ) and all the Knock outs at his club. Was reg winning the sweep in the Alliance every week, which was £60/70
That’s why I find it funny when some clubs limit some comps to max 18 handicap, yes you see the odd high handicapper having the round of his life, but they tend to be few and far between, an 18 limit plays right in to the bandit’s hands imo.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There was a study done on club members handicaps.

I think it was comparing with a period about 20 or 30 years ago. The average handicap at members clubs was 14 or 15. Fast forward to the present day and it hadn't changed. Equipment is all much better, coaching more readily available and the courses are largely the same length but may be in better condition. Yet the handicaps have barely changed.

Ultimately players get to a level, they are comfortable with, a level that their friends play at, and they are all quite happy maintaining similar handicaps and not trying to improve dramatically.

No one wants to play with their mates who are (comfortable) 12 to 15 handicappers and turn up with a handicap of 8 and have to play out of their skin to score on many holes.
Yes agree with this
It’s when you meet two of these in a 4bbb you have no chance.
They just stopped trying to get lower to compete with the field there are some 12/18 cappers that I know if I play well and they play well they will murder me .
Trust me it’s happened four out of the last five years.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Got quite a few. Bandits and cheats. Varied handicaps.
One guy off five. Only plays majors. Rest of the time he plays pairs events elsewhere. Lives 100 miles away in Wales. Known pal of the “short game wizard”.
A family that all play together. Known cheats. Have been seen kicking balls out of rough. A group purposely play behind them to watch. It’s like a game within a game. Two low cappers, two mid.
I’ve seen a few names appear at away qualifiers that are supposedly members at mine yet, never seen their names in a comp. I’ll look them up and they have played the minimum qualifiers required.

Makes me sick.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Yes agree with this
It’s when you meet two of these in a 4bbb you have no chance.
They just stopped trying to get lower to compete with the field there are some 12/18 cappers that I know if I play well and they play well they will murder me .
Trust me it’s happened four out of the last five years.

yeh - I've certainly played with plenty of guys in this category. Played golf since a kid, got down to the teens and stayed there. Don't take lessons, don't practice, only really enjoy a game when everyone chucks £1 in. Would rather spend £300 on a new Driver than £100 on lessons.

ok, so they win the odd medal or competition - but at some clubs this probably accounts for 50% or 60% of the membership, so it's bound to happen.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Not sure we have any. All our monthly and weekday medal and stablefords are played within divisions and no-one ever appears to clean up regularly in the main events where winner takes all. Prizes tend to be shared around pretty much across the handicap sections and I can't think of any that rarely play qualifiers and then appear when the big events are on. There may be the odd bit of manipulation to squeeze an extra shot back when on the cusp of an increase where a buffer may just become that needed 0.1 but I wouldn't say it happens often and couldn't think of anyone likely to do it (not to say it doesn't)

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Also - I would say as someone who has never been in single figures, it must be a pretty tough thing to stay focused on trying to improve.

After I started playing I took a few years before finally getting cut from 23 to 17 within a year. When I got to 17 I was pretty satisfied and stopped taking lessons, stopped practising and obviously went backwards.

I can only imagine the work and effort someone might have to put in to getting from 13 to 8, but when they get there, every round is a slog and they feel they have no chance. Doesn't help that at many clubs, competitions are won at well under par - they are effectively just playing for the sake of it and would need a huge effort again to improve and then they only end up getting another cut.

Even the guys at scratch, can still get cut to a + handicap.

Ultimately, you are playing for your honour and the chance to say 'I'm a 5 / 10 / 15 handicap'.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The only one I have known was in Cat 3, so I chose that. I do know of a few low guys who keep their handicap low so they can enter certain comps to play certain courses on the cheap.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site

Some 70 to 80 rounds without a buffer or a cut must take some doing ?? One could (almost) grudgingly admire it.

Not sure we have any real bandits at ours. The only names appearing multiple times are those played in the scratch comps - so they are good players playing good golf. There's no-one "cleaning up" in our NQ comps.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Some 70 to 80 rounds without a buffer or a cut must take some doing ?? One could (almost) grudgingly admire it.

Not sure we have any real bandits at ours. The only names appearing multiple times are those played in the scratch comps - so they are good players playing good golf. There's no-one "cleaning up" in our NQ comps.
he goes to the same pro as me and is always saying how well he hits it:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes Cat 3's definitely & those on 10 to 12 as well.... can think of many at our place & a very significant one not too far away as well.