What can / cant you forgive at a new course.

Steve Wilkes

Visit site
Nope. Might have been Kings Hill. The name rings a bell, it's in the right area and its opening date seems to fit. It was about 25 years (or more) ago and I/we only played it once!
King's Hill fit's the bill, but again played more recent and it's matured for the better

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
In terms of the course itself, notwithstanding the sock prejudice which appear to be endemic, I dislike a new course which is nicely put together and should be great, then has that one or two terrible holes where they just didn't have enough room to put in a decent hole.

D

Deleted member 15344

Always a simple answer to the sock debate - check the dress code before going

As for unforgivable things - rock solid greens on a parkland

Compact bunkers that haven’t been raked

Tees were the teeing area hasn’t been rotated

General lack of care of the course

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Things that have happened to me over the years.

One course the grass was so long on the greens that after the second hole the putter never left the bag, once the ball was on the green I just picked up and walked to the next tee. One course had no fixed distance markers and had clearly moved the teeing area well away from what it said on a card. One course with no signage and I played to a wrong green. One club our group was spoken to so poorly by the club steward we just walked out before ordering any drinks or food (post round). One club waiting by the tee to tee off several the members just walked past us and teed off in front of us until we had a go at the next group to try it.

I have had the sock incident but that was a very long time ago.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Crossover holes....not necessary
In my view they show poor /lazy design...

I very much doubt you'd be up that way, but don't go to Outlane in Huddersfield - think there's 4 holes sharing 1 fairway at one point. It's affectionately known as bomb alley - need your wits about you as you make your way trhough that stretch of the course.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I have had the sock incident but that was a very long time ago.
And it's the visitor's fault - I'm happy to admit guilt in that regard. As long as the Pro Shop has conforming ones available - at a reasonable price - there shouldn't be a problem.
The course I play most of my Golf at has NO dress code! But I've never seen players in anything that wouldn't be allowed on most courses. Same applies to the Clubhouse, so popping in for a quick one, or even supper on the way home from work is encouraged work kit/jeans included.

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
It’s the 21st century. All sock debates belong in the 19th Century

including the place where they pulled me up for my shirt being out of my tailored shorts on the hottest day of the year and for ankle socks, even though both were acceptable for my playing partner because she was a she.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I very much doubt you'd be up that way, but don't go to Outlane in Huddersfield - think there's 4 holes sharing 1 fairway at one point. It's affectionately known as bomb alley - need your wits about you as you make your way trhough that stretch of the course.
I have heard of this abomination and will steer well clear of it...it is in Huddersfield after all..;)

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Whoever thought it was a good idea to put a golf course on that bit of land was not a golfer. Have not played it but did caddie for my dad there once when they played a seniors team final there.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Whoever thought it was a good idea to put a golf course on that bit of land was not a golfer. Have not played it but did caddie for my dad there once when they played a seniors team final there.

I've only played it once, certainly wouldn't be one I'd be rushing back to. Bradley Hall is not that far away and is a much better course, and much better sheltered from the elements.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Oh, and I forgot one of the 'can't stand' issues for brand new courses. Stones just under the surface of fairways!
Early golfing days, our work group at work in Tunbridge Wells went to a course that had just opened just off the M20 that I can't find on map, nor remember the name of it - in/nearish to a newish development near an historic airport near Ashford from v dodgy memory. Stones just under the fairway surface were invisible but caused havoc when striking the ball and dangerous to both clubs and folk nearby.
Mansfield golf club ( now closed ). Part of it runs alongside Sherwood golf club. Anyway it is partly built on a pit tip. Millions and millions of tons of waste rock. You should see the sparks that come off a club if it hits ironstone. Sweet mother that does screw up your clubs

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Oh, and I forgot one of the 'can't stand' issues for brand new courses. Stones just under the surface of fairways!
Early golfing days, our work group at work in Tunbridge Wells went to a course that had just opened just off the M20 that I can't find on map, nor remember the name of it - in/nearish to a newish development near an historic airport near Ashford from v dodgy memory. Stones just under the fairway surface were invisible but caused havoc when striking the ball and dangerous to both clubs and folk nearby.

Could it have been Redlibbets, near brands hatch ?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Mansfield golf club ( now closed ). Part of it runs alongside Sherwood golf club. Anyway it is partly built on a pit tip. Millions and millions of tons of waste rock. You should see the sparks that come off a club if it hits ironstone. Sweet mother that does screw up your clubs
I did/do wonder why this happened. If it was cost-cutting - not laying liners, or enough topsoil, then I've no sympathy for the club!

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Does the OP's question mean a course that is newly created, or a course that is new to me?

If the former then the biggest unforgivable is course layout. I hate courses that are completely on top of themselves. Tee boxes inches away from greens, shared fairways, cross-over holes. Hate hate hate. I also dislike courses where the tee boxes are another full hole away from the last green (so many resort courses, especially overseas - where you have to weave thru the back alleys of housing estates to get to the next hole). There's a definite Goldilocks distance where the each hole is just close enough, and just far enough at the same time.

If the latter, then it's courses that are up themselves. I don't care how many majors you've held. And I also don't care what your members have voted for. If you think that telling other adults, who are smartly dressed in the modern world, how to dress then you don't deserve my custom.