What can / cant you forgive at a new course.

Visit site
Sweet jebus, I absolutely had that in "urban myth" category.

Did they make you stand for the national anthem before food arrived....

I played a match recently (this year) and the captain of the home club said grace and toasted the queen. It is probably the first time in my life I have been at a dinner table and witnessed either of those two things…

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I played a match recently (this year) and the captain of the home club said grace and toasted the queen. It is probably the first time in my life I have been at a dinner table and witnessed either of those two things…
I've played in club matches where this has happened and you weren't supposed to remove your jacket until the captain removed his !

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I very much doubt you'd be up that way, but don't go to Outlane in Huddersfield - think there's 4 holes sharing 1 fairway at one point. It's affectionately known as bomb alley - need your wits about you as you make your way trhough that stretch of the course.

South Bradford is just as bad.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I've played in club matches where this has happened and you weren't supposed to remove your jacket until the captain removed his !

Both were pretty standard practice back 20 years ago. I tend to avoid inter club matches where dinner afterwards is compulsory these days.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I did/do wonder why this happened. If it was cost-cutting - not laying liners, or enough topsoil, then I've no sympathy for the club!
The area was massive to cover, like most courses that have run off areas where rain creates channels on paths etc. you could see the waste rock. It was very cheap to play there but there was a reason for that.
Oddly enough I was played the Faldo Course in the Algarve and was paired with the pro at Mansfield and a guy he was on holiday with. He never really sold himself as a pro and his standards were let’s say slack.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Never played it. Which was the one that got sold off for the Next Warehouse? Members got about 30 grand each if what I heard was correct?

Can’t remember the name of that one. I remember all the other clubs putting their joining fees up the year it closed.

NearHull

Visit site
That smacks of a military background. I had too many years of these traditions, I stuck to them but do not do so now. The only time I wear a jacket is to a wedding or funeral.

D

Deleted member 3432

Same happened to a mate of mine. He refused to buy the knee length socks and instead wore his waterproofs for the whole round (even though it was a scorching July day) :ROFLMAO:

We had a couple of visitors wearing knee length socks yesterday.

The pink shorts were bad enough but the socks.........:rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Same happened to a mate of mine. He refused to buy the knee length socks and instead wore his waterproofs for the whole round (even though it was a scorching July day) :ROFLMAO:

Thing is this was just a local like to think it's posh course and he had black socks with shorts made him buy white

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Signage, or lack of is probably the biggie closely followed by the bar staff not knowing my drink order

(Any club that has a dress code for socks deserves to be closed down)

Oh but we must read and respect it .. it's their club

If they tell us to turn up naked it's just the way it must be