What can / cant you forgive at a new course.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played a few new courses over the last month or so.
Got our 4ball talking today about what they forgive at a course and what they can’t.

What I can’t forgive. Un-level tee boxes and baked greens.

Today I had 130yrds into a firm breeze, I flushed a PW as high as I could, perfectly nipped. Pitched 5yrds short of the pin, bounced 4ft in the air then rolled off the back into an almost unplayable lie.
Unforgivable on a parkland course.

Last edited:

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Depends on whether or not you’re playing a top notch course or a goat track. If I was at a course with a decent reputation I’d expect a well hit wedge to bite.

Unless of course you were playing with a Penfold Commando

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Any course tee boxs that the greens keepers haven't replaced the tee markers properly so they aim you anywhere but straight

Greens with 2 holes (one covered with a plastic cover) unless your a council run course I expect better

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I can, and have, forgiven a couple of drainage issues on a newly built course - as long there's a program to correct them. Likewise certain issues with bunkers.

Carlwm

Visit site
Any course tee boxs that the greens keepers haven't replaced the tee markers properly so they aim you anywhere but straight

Greens with 2 holes (one covered with a plastic cover) unless your a council run course I expect better

Earlier this year, I "eagled" a par 4 by landing my second shot in the hole that didn't have the flag in. To rub salt in the wound, it then took me three putts to get the ball into the right one. :mad::)

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Id consider uneven teeing grounds, markers not pointing directly at the middle of the fairway and hard greens part of the challenge.

Actually nearly every teeing ground is tilted one direction or another to drain anyway.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Played a course last week rated as one of the best in Spain, if you want to pay it in peak season, you could be paying 125 euros just for the green fee.

Now we had buggies, which had the screen with all the hole info/scorecard on them, but there was nothing in any of the tees to give you hole information other than a marker stone with the distance. Personally I always like to be able to glance at a board to check distance, par, stroke inde etc.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Has this ever actually happened?

Yes, a firm I worked for had a charity day and one of the partners of the firm was called back from the first tee and told in no uncertain terms that he would not be playing on the course without knee lenght socks. Same course that insisted that men wore jackets for the whole of lunch in a heatwave as they could not contact the captain to get permission to remove them.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
My mate got forced to buy a pair of suitable socks or couldn't play
Yes, a firm I worked for had a charity day and one of the partners of the firm was called back from the first tee and told in no uncertain terms that he would not be playing on the course without knee lenght socks. Same course that insisted that men wore jackets for the whole of lunch in a heatwave as they could not contact the captain to get permission to remove them.

Sweet jebus, I absolutely had that in "urban myth" category.

Did they make you stand for the national anthem before food arrived....