What a crazy week!

tigertot

Medal Winner
Visit site
:DWhat a week!!
Last week I recorded my first hole in one. This was at Matlock,Derbyshire. 181 yard par 3.
Brilliant experience! First one in 25 years golfing.

I have been trying to encourage my 15 year old son, Alex to get more involved in golf.
He has been coming to the driving range with me and my local PGA Head Professional, Kevin Lock, has been great with him, giving him guidance and support. I have taught him about course etiquette and he is using my old clubs with increasing confidence every week.
He took part in a society competition last week for his first attempt at completing 18 holes on a “proper” golf course. He did well, clearly enjoying the experience.
Today, he played his second 18 hole round at my home club, Horsley Lodge GC in Derbyshire.
Horsley Lodge is now constantly hailed as one of midland’s top golf courses. It was recently ranked Number 1 in the HSBC course rankings for Derbyshire and is proud to be a Midland EGU Qualifying course. It is no push over. He was my guest and we played in a four ball game with friends.
He played really well coping with everything the course threw at him.
We reached the 12[SUP]th[/SUP] hole known as Dawson’s Meadow.
This is a fantastic par 3 designed by Peter McEvoy. Elevated green with lots of humps and hollows. Well protected by 2 lakes and a number of strategically placed bunkers.
3 decent shots by the adult members of the group allowed Alex to make his way forward to his tee box. 109 yards to reach the green. He hit a cracker, over the water hazards and bunkers. It pitched a yard from the pin, bounced once and flicked into the flag stick. Straight up and straight down. The shout went up. ” It’s in!!”
Dumbstruck, I ran towards the green and low and behold when Alex reached us he peered into the cup and there was his ball nestling at the bottom.
This is crazy……………It took me 25 years to record my first hole in one and he has done it on only the second round of his life!!
My head was spinning. How do I recognise this in the club house. He’s not old enough to buy a drink. My insurance only covers me. How much is this going to cost?
Amazingly, I enter the clubhouse to find that one of the club founder members ,John Sheldon, has also had a hole in one today and he had kindly provided all present with a bottle of fine malt whisky to enjoy. I intend to do the same on Friday when I next visit the clubhouse.
My biggest worry is that I don’t know how Alex can really follow that .
Having said that he went on to record a gross birdie 3 on the par 4 15[SUP]th[/SUP]. He clearly didn’t understand the magnitude of what he had just done. What a week!