Golf Course Closed again

The Lion

Visit site
I really can’t stand mats, I just can’t hit the ball well off them, although for many it’s easier. I do understand why many clubs use them, however it’s largely a recent invention, plus many clubs which have high end visitors use them mostly so the wealthy can enjoy perfect manicured fairways in summer.

I’d prefer if clubs had a few weeks on then a few weeks off mats personally. That’d still protect the course but would allow some winter comps and proper play. Further, on parklands, providing golfers stamp disk divots, you don’t really need mats as the turf repairs quickly. On links and heath it’s a bit different however as the soil type often means divots won’t stamp back easily, except when wet.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Of course, it will be the committees or board doing that but it doesn't change my point. My game is at least as important to me as theirs is to them.

Mats for all, without discriminating, is a different matter if needed to improve course condition. Generally we don't use them except once for some major overseeding. Personally I loathe them and instead played each shot from the rough, when we had our mats down for 6 weeks (that was the other option offered).

Here's hoping next winter is a bit more normal...
We suspended all qualifying comps, and it was mats even in the rough. Anyone seen not following the rules would have their membership suspended. And quite rightly so.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I really can’t stand mats, I just can’t hit the ball well off them, although for many it’s easier. I do understand why many clubs use them, however it’s largely a recent invention, plus many clubs which have high end visitors use them mostly so the wealthy can enjoy perfect manicured fairways in summer.

I’d prefer if clubs had a few weeks on then a few weeks off mats personally. That’d still protect the course but would allow some winter comps and proper play. Further, on parklands, providing golfers stamp disk divots, you don’t really need mats as the turf repairs quickly. On links and heath it’s a bit different however as the soil type often means divots won’t stamp back easily, except when wet.
We trialled mats this winter as last spring there was a lot of comaplaining about the fairways. We are a private members club and it was the members complaining. The use of mats this winter has meant the fairways are looking really nice so early in the season, and I haven't heard anyone complain now about using the mats in the winter as a result of the effects their compulsary use has lead to.

PaulMdj

Visit site
I get the same level of annoyance when someone playing an internal club match expects everyone else on the course to step aside for them 'because we are playing a match'. Big whuppy doo 😠
It is written in our Club rules that outside of weekend comps, internal club matches have priority on the course.

Bit crap if you’re playing a social round and you are unwilling to step aside?

PaulMdj

Visit site

Until the weather went really bad we use mats in the winter and play qualifiers.

Only changed when we went mats through the course and stopped qualifiers.

I don’t understand why people don’t like them, perfect lie in the winter rather than muddy lies and course being cut up.

Visit site
We suspended all qualifying comps, and it was mats even in the rough. Anyone seen not following the rules would have their membership suspended. And quite rightly so.
Sure if it's to protect the course from extreme wet. But ours was a little different, we were overseeding the fairways on one course, actually trying to replace the resident grass with a different type, more suited to the parkland nature of this course. We did this after an extremely dry period last summer, ( I believe they did exist back then) when the incumbent grass was burnt close to death anyway and it apparently gave a better chance for the new grass type to take hold. Hence playing out the rough, if you chose, was not an issue, the grass there was untouched.

We're a two course club so they just shoved the late summer comps onto the other 'good' course and we second class social golfers got the duff course...

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It is written in our Club rules that outside of weekend comps, internal club matches have priority on the course.

Bit crap if you’re playing a social round and you are unwilling to step aside?
If it's in the rules, I'd do it. I really don't see why it should happen though. No reason why they are more important than any other members rounds.

PaulMdj

Visit site
If it's in the rules, I'd do it. I really don't see why it should happen though. No reason why they are more important than any other members rounds.
Would you feel that way on a weekend if you were playing in the comp and a social 4 ball was holding you up?

Mandofred

Visit site

I've never understood why people have trouble with mats.....just plain easier. All you have to do is hit the ball first and then the ground....same as you would do if you were hitting off the ground/mud.

Medal tomorrow....club sent out a letter letting people know it will be from the whites.....going to be a rude awakening with that. Preferred lies on the fairway, clean and place exact in the rough.....not to be negative, but I bet a ton of people will still place the ball in the rough as well. Hard habit to break.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Would you feel that way on a weekend if you were playing in the comp and a social 4 ball was holding you up?
It's not about pace of play. Pace of play should always take priority.

I've been pushed off the 1st tee before, from my allotted booking time, by players either starting a match or playing extra, play off, holes.

PaulMdj

Visit site
It's not about pace of play. Pace of play should always take priority.

I've been pushed off the 1st tee before, from my allotted booking time, by players either starting a match or playing extra, play off, holes.
I don’t just mean for pace of play though, it might mean hanging back and giving them space, who knows if it’ll put people off in a comp.

All of our tee times, including comps, must be booked, they can’t just rock up and go in front of people.

If it’s extra holes, then they do have priority, but should be courteous enough to explain to anyone they catch.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don’t just mean for pace of play though, it might mean hanging back and giving them space, who knows if it’ll put people off in a comp.

All of our tee times, including comps, must be booked, they can’t just rock up and go in front of people.

If it’s extra holes, then they do have priority, but should be courteous enough to explain to anyone they catch.
I simply don't see why they should get any level of priority 🤷🏻‍♂️

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I simply don't see why they should get any level of priority 🤷🏻‍♂️

If you are playing a match you are usually a damn sight quicker than those playing social golf. When I've played any match that has gone back up the first we've always asked anyone on the first politely if they mind us carrying on.I

I've also played matches where we have been held up on every hole and not let through.

I really don't see a problem with letting anyone through it they are playing a match.