Scratch golf is course independent

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm a data guy and this is not something I've thought of before. I'm a member of 2 clubs and both clubs have 2 courses. So I've had a look at what my handicap would be on each course rather than overall and the results are actually quite interesting.

CourseParRatingSlopeHandicap

Probably worth adding that only on course 3 do I have 20 qualifying rounds - others are all less.
My actual handicap is 3.4 but this is cause I have counting rounds that aren't from these 4 courses
Notably the slope is lower on courses 3 & 4 and so is the handicap. Further your h/c range suggests cat 1 rather than scratch, so slope seems to have an effect.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
There is no contradiction in lower handicaps and reduced stickiness. It is entirely consistent.
Oh deary me, you said that UHS facilitated vanity handicaps, yet even you admit that handicaps are lower under WHS, so how exactly was UHS promoting vanity handicaps, it was actually the opposite

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Oh deary me, you said that UHS facilitated vanity handicaps, yet even you admit that handicaps are lower under WHS, so how exactly was UHS promoting vanity handicaps, it was actually the opposite
Facilitating, not promoting.

For DaveR also.

a)
- For a given unchanging level of golf of sufficient sample size of rounds, there is a level of golf, that under UHS, would have settled on a handicap of 2.

- For that exact same level of golf and a not trivial number of rounds (ie. 20+), under WHS that golfer will now (in the main...of course there are exceptions, and my-mate anecdotes. But speaking globally) have a HI of scratch. The system is different. It was known this would happen. The bonus for excellence (ie that in handicapped competition low golfers had a shot or 2 more than higher hcs) was removed.

b)
In the case of golf level disimprovement, UCS, with 0.1 upward adjustments regardless of how bad the round is, and, a limit of 0.7 - in the main - per calander year, a golfer who was off scratch genuinely, but is now playing 4hc level golf, would only see his handicap increase very slowly. It was inherently sticky to a given lowest hc. WHS will respond faster to this disimprovement. The disimproved scratch golfers handicap will rise much faster under WHS than UCS, reflecting his current level. Not a bias towards his lowest hc.

I am not sure I can write it more clearly.

D-S

Visit site
In the case of golf level disimprovement, UCS, with 0.1 upward adjustments regardless of how bad the round is, and, a limit of 0.7 - in the main - per calander year, a golfer who was off scratch genuinely, but is now playing 4hc level golf, would only see his handicap increase very slowly.

Why a limit of 0.7?
Actually under UHS, the declining golfer who posted 7 consecutive rounds not in the buffer zone (thereby already increasing their handicap by 0.1), provided they met the criteria of a declining golfer, were raised an extra shot, speeding their upward trajectory.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
In the case of golf level disimprovement, UCS, with 0.1 upward adjustments regardless of how bad the round is, and, a limit of 0.7 - in the main - per calander year, a golfer who was off scratch genuinely, but is now playing 4hc level golf, would only see his handicap increase very slowly.

Why a limit of 0.7?
Actually under UHS, the declining golfer who posted 7 consecutive rounds not in the buffer zone (thereby already increasing their handicap by 0.1), provided they met the criteria of a declining golfer, were raised an extra shot, speeding their upward trajectory.
I dont know. Maybe it was 1.0. But thought the old 1.0 was reduced to 0.7 in the latter years of UHS.
Either way the rise was not in proportion to the magnitude of score deterioration. In contrast to WHS.

D-S

Visit site
I dont know. Maybe it was 1.0. But thought the old 1.0 was reduced to 0.7 in the latter years of UHS.
Either way the rise was not in proportion to the magnitude of score deterioration. In contrast to WHS.
As far as I am aware there was no limit to upward movement per calendar year and as per my post there was an upwards accelerator for consecutive poor scores - very much the reverse of any limit.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Facilitating, not promoting.

For DaveR also.

a)
- For a given unchanging level of golf of sufficient sample size of rounds, there is a level of golf, that under UHS, would have settled on a handicap of 2.

- For that exact same level of golf and a not trivial number of rounds (ie. 20+), under WHS that golfer will now (in the main...of course there are exceptions, and my-mate anecdotes. But speaking globally) have a HI of scratch. The system is different. It was known this would happen. The bonus for excellence (ie that in handicapped competition low golfers had a shot or 2 more than higher hcs) was removed.

b)
In the case of golf level disimprovement, UCS, with 0.1 upward adjustments regardless of how bad the round is, and, a limit of 0.7 - in the main - per calander year, a golfer who was off scratch genuinely, but is now playing 4hc level golf, would only see his handicap increase very slowly. It was inherently sticky to a given lowest hc. WHS will respond faster to this disimprovement. The disimproved scratch golfers handicap will rise much faster under WHS than UCS, reflecting his current level. Not a bias towards his lowest hc.

I am not sure I can write it more clearly.
1701439256437.png:rolleyes:

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
There was no limit. And someone going up a shot or more during a year for sure would get flagged for review

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As far as I am aware there was no limit to upward movement per calendar year and as per my post there was an upwards accelerator for consecutive poor scores - very much the reverse of any limit.
Possibly not everywhere, though the provision was there, maybe only Ireland applied it.
"Increases in Exact Handicaps should not be subject to restriction unless a Union so directs. A Union may restrict the increase of Exact Handicaps to a maximum of 1.0 stroke in a calendar year except for increases granted under Clause 23."

But without digging back into the minutiae of the UHS, the principle is valid. Increases of 0.1 prompted slower increases than WHS.