Worst experience on a golf course???????

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Playing at Hoebridge (that was my first mistake) and arrived to be told we were out behind a society. I don't think a single person had ever seen a course and no concept of etiquette. We politely asked to play through the group in front and they thought we were taking the mickey and looking for trouble. Walked off after 5 hours. Think we were on something like 14

Hoebridge!!!!

That's the place where the greenkeeper mowed a circle round me whilst I was setting up for a chip to the green!!!

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Probably Southerness, first year playing golf.

Howling wind and horizontal rain quickly dismantled my fragile golf 'game'.

Was so embarrassed about holding up my pp's I picked up after about 12 and walked the rest of the round.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Club champs at New Malton
Course was already falling into disrepair, game fell apart, strong winds and card almost blew away twice.

I gave up and just marked his card the rest of the way.

That championship should have been me vs him as we were probably the two better players at the club, he won it easily it in the end IIRC.

I just shouldn’t have bothered that day.

Golfman15

Visit site
Several years ago in a winter Stableford competition, playing with 2 other guys who I think played together fairly regularly. One of them started to play poorly and brought out the full range of expletives as his game worsened. By about hole 12 he would tee off then decided if he might play the rest of the hole depending on his expletive laden result. Ground conditions were soggy to say the least and the final straw for him was when he couldn’t find his tee shot on a par 3, he simply walked to the next hole and took his tee shot while we were still putting. He managed to hit that into the rough and then was upset we didn’t help him look for it
i was still fairly new to competition golf and decided the only thing to do was ignore him for the rest of the round. I shook his hand at the end of the round but didnt say anything, as I just wanted to get away.
Looking back I wish I had simply picked up my ball by about hole 12 and walked in after making it clear why I was doing so

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Several years ago in a winter Stableford competition, playing with 2 other guys who I think played together fairly regularly. One of them started to play poorly and brought out the full range of expletives as his game worsened. By about hole 12 he would tee off then decided if he might play the rest of the hole depending on his expletive laden result. Ground conditions were soggy to say the least and the final straw for him was when he couldn’t find his tee shot on a par 3, he simply walked to the next hole and took his tee shot while we were still putting. He managed to hit that into the rough and then was upset we didn’t help him look for it
i was still fairly new to competition golf and decided the only thing to do was ignore him for the rest of the round. I shook his hand at the end of the round but didnt say anything, as I just wanted to get away.
Looking back I wish I had simply picked up my ball by about hole 12 and walked in after making it clear why I was doing so
I can see why you'd say that but it's a shame to allow someone else to ruin your round. I think you did the right thing initially, just ignore him totally and concentrate on your own game. (y)

mister v

Visit site
i had a weekend break at celtic manor, me and my PP played golf well our wives hit the spa. we got paired up with two other chaps and during the usual pre round conversations of "play well boys" and "enjoy it" the one lad say's "if i break 200 i'll be happy" we all laughed until we found out he wasnt joking....... we lasted 4-5 holes with them until they lost the 3 balls they had with them and started combing through bushes for pick ups and at that point we left them and played as a two ball....
The following morning we were waithing on the tee box for that days playing partners and it was them again. we went over to the starter and refused to tee off with them as it was a pointless excersise , the starter said it was the only tee time available so we tee'd off and left them after 2 holes and never saw them again.

Crumplezone

Visit site
Sounds to me like you knew the rules but deliberately decided to ignore them then got the hump when someone pulled you up for it.

What it sounds like to you is wrong then.

To repeat myself again, dress code only applies on the course. Not in the car park, not stood in a queue waiting to tee off. The club's own website describes it as an on course dress code. Politeness however, applies everywhere. Members being rude is what I get the hump about.

D

Deleted Member 1156

What it sounds like to you is wrong then.

To repeat myself again, dress code only applies on the course. Not in the car park, not stood in a queue waiting to tee off. The club's own website describes it as an on course dress code. Politeness however, applies everywhere. Members being rude is what I get the hump about.
Good luck turning up somewhere like Sunningdale or RSG and ignoring the 'on the course only' dress code in the clubhouse.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If you are in the car park and have not yet got changed into your golf clothing fine. If you are in the queue waiting to play you would expect to be in your golf clothing appropriate for the course (assuming you are waiting in line by the first tee) - I believe that you know this really and are just trying to justify yourself.

Of course, there is no excuse for anyone shouting at you and a friendly quiet word is what is is required.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
I am happy to adhere to the rules of any course. When I am on the course. When I am not actually on the course, I can do as I like. As I said, my main objection was the rudeness of the members. Politeness costs nothing. Impoliteness potentially costs them green fees and members. I'm not over keen to go back there again.

Good! I'm a member there.?

Golfnut1957

Visit site
There's nothing wrong with this:

a) This area doesn't get much traffic & people playing from there are likely to be putting.

b) By doing this you avoid flattening & wearing the area immediately adjacent to the green side bunkers, where players need a decent lie to play a delicate pitch.

Perhaps there should be a new thread on this.
I've always thought that this was the better way of going about this. Hundreds of people walking between the bunker and green may well make the area look somewhat care worn but won't really impact on anyone's golf.
Hundreds of people walking behind a bunker can not only make it look worn and tired but also make what for many would be a difficult chip shot over a bunker even more difficult,if not impossible.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I can see why you'd say that but it's a shame to allow someone else to ruin your round. I think you did the right thing initially, just ignore him totally and concentrate on your own game. (y)
Its all you can do and ignore him. Personally I'd have rubbed salt in the wound and said something about not looking if we didn't see where it went and that usually means being on the tee when you hit it

Golfnut1957

Visit site
I can related to a few of these.

The Southerness one for sure. First trip to Scotland golfing and the wind howled and the rain was horizontal, on return to the hotel the drying room was full and the hot water had run out.

The trip to The Roxburgh, 5 hours behind a society.

The all time classic was the tining one, only this wasn't greens it was fairways. We had a brigade comp booked at a local course and they had forgotten to tell us that they were tining their fairways that week. When we arrived they were half way through the work with most of the fairways tined and the earth removed but a few had been tined and the plugs were still on the ground. We had to play over them which was bad enough but the worst was it clinging to your shoes. You only had to walk 10 feet and you were 6 inches taller.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
A "fun" winter individual stableford comp, 3 clubs and a putter. Playing in fours. We started in pouring rain and howling wind, and it just got worse. After 3 holes the first of our group walked in. A few holes later another threw in the towel. I would have gladly joined them, but was marking the card of the lady in our group who was scoring rather well. So I soldiered on for her sake. At one point the wind turned my umbrella inside out so savagely that it became landfill. By the end I was a miserable drowned rat. But at least the lady I marked for did win the top lady prize, so it wasn't all for nought.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
So many experiences to choose from but a stand out that went from good to bad in seconds was:

Few years ago when I was still serving & actually relatively decent at the game, I had a weekend back home in Kent and was playing in monthly medal with my old man & 2 of his pals. I was off 4 at the time and depsite not having played in a month was having a blinder 3 under through 13 holes, then walking across the road that splits the course in half i slipped off the kerb went flat on my arse but trapped my right hand between my carry bag and the drain cover. Result was a hand that went the wrong way totally meaning my old man taking me up to Medway hopsital which found a broken scaphoid bone & fracture to the radius bone & 6 weeks in plaster . If that wasn't bad enough the only plaster cast that they had was a luminous pink fibre glass thing which looked horrendous with my combats on the Monday morning back at RM Condor along with the pelters I took with it ?

But the cast gave you time to become true to your inner, suppressed feelings...