Worst experience on a golf course???????

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
My daughter was helping organize a corporate day at the Torrence course at St Andrews and got me a invite to play, day started off well with a putting competition with a good prize of return golf and a stay for 2 at the hotel, I was leading with 3 other players to go but one of the 3 beat me, but it set me up for a good day ... or so I thought.

Competition was stableford teams of 3, I was paired with a Irish guy and a guy from Canada, first tee bit nervous but starter was good and advised what line I should take, after a good drive and second shot that landed on the fringe of the green I putted up to less than a foot from the hole, tap in parr for the first hole I was well pleased, as I was walking up to ball the Canadian guy tapped the ball back to me and said “ I’ll give you that” I was astounded and annoyed and told him as it’s a competition you can’t do that, not a good start to the round.

Walking up the forth fairway he got annoyed at a bad shot he made threw a ball in air and whacked it onto another fairway.

Another hole a drive of mine landed just on the fringe found a old top flight ball and he said it didn’t matter about my ball and just play that one.

He proceeded to give me advice on the back 9 and ruined a good day out, not only a cheat but a utter idiot as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crumplezone

Visit site
Don’t be so silly. As soon as you drive through the gate you’re obliged to adhere to the dress code of that course. Tucking your shirt in at a golf course is a basic principle. I agree that the way in which you were reminded of the fact wasn’t great. A quiet word would have sufficed I’m sure

As has been said before no you're not. You can turn up at the course dressed however you like. Even wearing black socks and a football shirt. Dress codes don't apply until you step onto the first tee.

Crumplezone

Visit site
Having a bit of pride in your appearance is not silly or outdated.

Just being difficult because it’s a rule. I reckon most people will tuck their shirt into their trousers/shorts naturally

I am happy to adhere to the rules of any course. When I am on the course. When I am not actually on the course, I can do as I like. As I said, my main objection was the rudeness of the members. Politeness costs nothing. Impoliteness potentially costs them green fees and members. I'm not over keen to go back there again.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
I am happy to adhere to the rules of any course. When I am on the course. When I am not actually on the course, I can do as I like. As I said, my main objection was the rudeness of the members. Politeness costs nothing. Impoliteness potentially costs them green fees and members. I'm not over keen to go back there again.
I agree with your thoughts on the politeness but your claim to do as you like until you are on the course will cause you to be pulled up by a member or staff member in almost every instance.

Captainron

Visit site
As has been said before no you're not. You can turn up at the course dressed however you like. Even wearing black socks and a football shirt. Dress codes don't apply until you step onto the first tee.
Just read this one now.

You’re absolutely deluded if you believe this. Once you’re on the property then the rules apply.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
I've found any sort of corporate related outings always include guys who "play golf a bit" turn up for the booze and in reality never play golf or at most, very rarely judging by their ancient kit.
I can't ever remember an enjoyable event where these types of folk play well but have had some decent craic in the bar afterwards.

Crumplezone

Visit site
You are actually talking out your backside.

Guess I need to repeat myself.

1. Not everyone arrives at the golf course dressed according to the dress code. Some get changed. Most change their shoes. Some will need to tuck their shirt in before stepping onto the tee. The rules do not apply if you are not on the course.

2. On the club's web site it says. "All we ask is that the dress code for the course is respected". The dress code is for the course. This is quite clear. Not anywhere in its vicinity.

Ironically, they don't even have the dress code on their web site any more. They did when I played there though.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Just read this one now.

You’re absolutely deluded if you believe this. Once you’re on the property then the rules apply.
I think you can rock up wearing whatever you want but you make a beeline straight for the changing rooms.
Some dress codes are a joke (shirts in or out, whats the difference really?) but you have to respect them if you want to play on their courses.

Crumplezone

Visit site
I think you can rock up wearing whatever you want but you make a beeline straight for the changing rooms.

Of course you can. How could it be any other way. AFAIK, no club has rules about how quickly you need to change or comply with the dress code before teeing off.

Captainron

Visit site
Of course you can. How could it be any other way. AFAIK, no club has rules about how quickly you need to change or comply with the dress code before teeing off.

Are you playing your golf in Mali? Papua New Guinea perhaps? More likely somewhere like Dundee?

Plenty of clubs have dress codes for the clubhouse and the course.

Last edited:

Crumplezone

Visit site
Please please give that a whirl at Muirfield. And record it all for me...

From the Muirfield site. Not much detail given there. Unless there are other rules they don't tell anyone about.
Not that I'm likely to ever be able to afford to play there. Obviously many clubs have rules for clubhouse attire.

Dress Code – Muirfield is a traditional golf club and one such tradition is that after 10am, jacket and tie is worn in the Smoke Room and Dining Room. You can arrive in golf attire, however golf shoes or outer golf apparel are not permitted in any of the Club’s public rooms. On the course tailored shorts are allowed, and either full length or white or dark coloured short socks must be worn, all at the discretion of HCEG Staff. Jeans, trainers and round neck T-shirts are prohibited.

Captainron

Visit site
From the Muirfield site. Not much detail given there. Unless there are other rules they don't tell anyone about.
Not that I'm likely to ever be able to afford to play there. Obviously many clubs have rules for clubhouse attire.

Dress Code – Muirfield is a traditional golf club and one such tradition is that after 10am, jacket and tie is worn in the Smoke Room and Dining Room. You can arrive in golf attire, however golf shoes or outer golf apparel are not permitted in any of the Club’s public rooms. On the course tailored shorts are allowed, and either full length or white or dark coloured short socks must be worn, all at the discretion of HCEG Staff. Jeans, trainers and round neck T-shirts are prohibited.
I know the code. Played there earlier this year.