Worst experience on a golf course???????

D

Deleted member 23344

Playing in a competition a couple of years ago ... playing well ... 14 points after 7 holes. On the eighth, I played a ball on the fairway which was sitting where I thought my drive had landed. When I got to the green after my second shot, I realised that it wasn’t my ball ... called myself out. From that point, all the wheels fell off big time and I hardly scored any more points. My fault, of course ... I won’t make that mistake again!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Playing at Hoebridge (that was my first mistake) and arrived to be told we were out behind a society. I don't think a single person had ever seen a course and no concept of etiquette. We politely asked to play through the group in front and they thought we were taking the mickey and looking for trouble. Walked off after 5 hours. Think we were on something like 14

matt71

Tour Rookie
Visit site
At a golf club near Preston, Lancashire. There was some sort of charity match just finishing and a lot of members milling around the first tee. It was a very hot day and me and my PP were waiting behind a couple of other groups to go onto the first tee. From behind me, a voice said loudly 'tuck yer shirt in!'. I explained that I was aware of the club's dress code, I wasn't yet on the course and had every intention of doing so before teeing off. Then he demanded of my PP 'Are them proper golf shoes?'. He was forced to show him the spikes to confirm they were. Then a woman shouted from about 30 feet way 'tuck yer shirt in!'. Turns out she was the lady captain. Such a warm welcome from the members there.
What club was this? I hope it was not mine who were rude to you !

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Travelled from Edinburgh for this. Turned my ankle and hobbled off after about ten holes, struggling to walk.
And I beat you..came off after 8 I think as my tennis elbow flared up and I couldn't even hold a putter.....
It was nice and dry in the bar though.....(y)

D

Deleted Member 1156

I am happy to adhere to the rules of any course. When I am on the course. When I am not actually on the course, I can do as I like. As I said, my main objection was the rudeness of the members. Politeness costs nothing. Impoliteness potentially costs them green fees and members. I'm not over keen to go back there again.
Sounds to me like you knew the rules but deliberately decided to ignore them then got the hump when someone pulled you up for it.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Turned up on a Tuesday at Dale Hill in Sussex Pro said there was a women’s comp just started but would be ok for us to go and tee off as there was a slot available.
We had to wait on the second fairway for the green to clear when a ball landed next to me I looked back and got the impression we were not welcome.

So we decided to go to the 9th and play from there and be out of the way there were 2 women playing the first and as we were not sure where the 9th tee was we decided to ask them, walking back down the rough on the first we stood still until the 2 women played their shots.

Then I went over and asked the question about the 9th tee, the reply I got was “ would you get off our fairway” That’s all I got

D

Deleted member 21258

There is a choice between two, but Turnberry on the forum trip would be the pick, I should have walked off and gone home.

Hope I get to go again, as would like to experience it again and enjoy it, as it was an amazing place.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I played a public course in Bournemouth a few years ago. I was on my own and about to tee off when the guy from the shop came running out and said another single had just arrived and would I pair up with him. No problem said I. We introduced ourselves, the guy pulled out a club from the hire set and asked me "How do you hold these things?"

Longest 5 hours of my life........

Crumplezone

Visit site
Once again you're getting on your faux high horse ? about what I wrote.

He knew the club rules, he was told once and ignored it. He then had to be told again. That is arrogance in my book.

I wasn't breaking any club rules. I didn't even have time to tuck my shirt it before I was shouted at a second time.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
My worst golf round off the top of my head: During my first year as a club member (only about 3 years ago), when I was off 24. I entered the club championships, this is the only comp played over two rounds, Saturday and Sunday. It was drawn groups and times, I was put in a 3 ball, but for some reason one of us had to leave after only about 5 holes I think, some family emergency. So it was just me and this other guy who was off 27 or something, and we were both having the worst rounds of our life. Just totally incapable of hitting a proper shot. And as it's medal, plus the fact we'd entered for both days, and the fact there was only two of us in the group to mark each others' cards, we just kept plodding around, putting out for 8s, 9s, whatever. We were so bad that even as a two ball we had to wave through a four ball at one point. It was like we were dragging each other down as well, the worse he played the worse I played, and vice versa. I ended up shooting 108, and he shot 114 or something. He was a nice enough guy, but I think when the golf was so bad we were both slightly embarrassed if anything so there wasn't much chat.

The second day I was teeing off first (since the 2nd day groups are done in reverse score order), and the other chap didn't bother returning or else I would have been playing with him again. Funnily enough I shot 92 which was my best ever round at the time and the first time I'd played to my 24 handicap. Chalk and cheese over the two days!

Wolf

Visit site
So many experiences to choose from but a stand out that went from good to bad in seconds was:

Few years ago when I was still serving & actually relatively decent at the game, I had a weekend back home in Kent and was playing in monthly medal with my old man & 2 of his pals. I was off 4 at the time and depsite not having played in a month was having a blinder 3 under through 13 holes, then walking across the road that splits the course in half i slipped off the kerb went flat on my arse but trapped my right hand between my carry bag and the drain cover. Result was a hand that went the wrong way totally meaning my old man taking me up to Medway hopsital which found a broken scaphoid bone & fracture to the radius bone & 6 weeks in plaster . If that wasn't bad enough the only plaster cast that they had was a luminous pink fibre glass thing which looked horrendous with my combats on the Monday morning back at RM Condor along with the pelters I took with it ?

Last edited: