Watching golf on the TV

Do you watch professional golf on TV?

• Total voters

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Not really sure what poll option 3 means. If it means I watch occasionally and only if I have an interest in the specific tournament then Yes (though I’ll generally dip in and out of the coverage). As opposed to option 1 which is I watch every bit of golf on TV.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Highlights programmes or youtube after the event, if there have been reports of something interesting worth seeing.

I particularly like the youtube bits where they show every shot in a player's round in a ten minute clip.

If there had been live golf on BBC2 yesterday (like there had been for several decades) I would have watched some, but there isn't so I didn't.
I did see Justin Rose hole a couple of putts on a news programme.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Those people who are watching ANY of the golf...but not really.....are you paying for sports on tv, but not using it? Madness. Either you watch sports...and pay for it, or like me..bugger it, and don't pay

As you suggest I pay for it because I watch a lot of sports

Watching golf is just one part of my watching sports which are not or rarely shown on DTV

Eurosport show all snooker, Sky show a lot of the 9 ball pool, all F1 and Indy car, Webber Ten pin, darts and so the list goes on

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Highlights programmes or youtube after the event, if there have been reports of something interesting worth seeing.

I particularly like the youtube bits where they show every shot in a player's round in a ten minute clip.

If there had been live golf on BBC2 yesterday (like there had been for several decades) I would have watched some, but there isn't so I didn't.
You tube is good even if you have Sky etc.

Sky often misses the ending of some events, particularly when they are not the host broadcaster, and youtube is a good way of seeing the finish.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

BBC are showing highlights in the evening.

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I used to watch golf on sky every week. Any golf at all.
Now I find a normal pga tour event boring and drab as hell. So don't watch much at all.
Actually prefer watching LIV on YouTube now tbh. Seems more lively, like something always going on, not as boring, keeps me more interested.

I still love the majors though.
The open and the masters especially.

But normal tournament coverage is too dull now

Springveldt

Visit site
I watch a lot of golf, it’s not unusual for me to watch the PGA Tour event most weeks and I’ll often have the DPWT on the second monitor while working during the day.

I’ll watch LIV on YouTube and I watch a bunch of other golf related stuff on YouTube.

I watch a lot of sport in general though, it makes up the majority of my viewing time. I’ve even been known to sit down and watch full live stages of the Tour de France when the wife is out with the kids.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I watch a lot of golf, it’s not unusual for me to watch the PGA Tour event most weeks and I’ll often have the DPWT on the second monitor while working during the day.

I’ll watch LIV on YouTube and I watch a bunch of other golf related stuff on YouTube.

I watch a lot of sport in general though, it makes up the majority of my viewing time. I’ve even been known to sit down and watch full live stages of the Tour de France when the wife is out with the kids.
No need to feel a little apologetic about watching the TdF - it’s brilliant viewing - and I can’t remember last time I went out on my bike.

fenwayrich

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've followed the PGA Tour since the early 1970's, watched it on Sky since 1993. Almost always watch the weekend offering, and dip into the first two rounds. Don't see as much DP Tour stuff because it's on in the daytime, and there's no doubt that the fields are diluted compared with times past.

I haven't watched any LIV, although I do miss Koepka, DeChambeau and one or two others. I'm afraid that I'm dead set against it, the format, the noise, the laughable team concept. But then it's not an old fart like me that it's designed to attract 🙂

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
When I had a Sky box, I used to record the golf and then start watching it about 1-2 hours after the last group had teed off. I wouldn't touch my phone and I would just fast forward through all the pointless stuff eg, adverts, Laura Davies and Paul McGinley chatting rubbish in a studio, computer animations of the course, etc. :sleep:

Quite often, I would end up timing it just right, so that the last couple of holes were 'live'. Unless there was a really exciting finish, those last holes were the most boring to watch by far and you realise just how slow watching pro golf is.

I now cannot justify the costs of Sky TV and so I'll be watching today via a dodgy stream. Now TV is OK, but not exactly cheap either and you can't do my record and fast forward trick as easily. I'll also question its reliability - I had it for The Masters this year and that was great. The following weekend I tried to watch some football and it kept buffering despite the fact that I had a good Internet connection.

SatchFan

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I still watch PGA, Liv and the majors. Sky's coverage seems pretty comprehensive but contains a lot of filler and waffle. At least with the Open things improved once the McIlroy/Woods circus left two days early.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As per Howbow88

Recording is often the way I go
Yesterday -
Start watching the FI then put it on to record.
Start watching the Open until a good bit of F1 has recorded put the golf on record.
Go back to F1 and fast forward quite a bit of it (poor track for overtaking)
Go back the golf and fast forward through a lot of that.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
As per Howbow88

Recording is often the way I go
Yesterday -
Start watching the FI then put it on to record.
Start watching the Open until a good bit of F1 has recorded put the golf on record.
Go back to F1 and fast forward quite a bit of it (poor track for overtaking)
Go back the golf and fast forward through a lot of that.
I was also flicking through to the cricket as well. Difficult viewing afternoon and thankful for tablet

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was also flicking through to the cricket as well. Difficult viewing afternoon and thankful for tablet
My other main interest is snooker and there was another final going on luckily because it is in the Far East it odes not get reported on so I have that recorded for today's viewing.
I rarely watch things when I already know the result.

One of my hates with Sky is how many of the commentators give out results of other sports, verbally, whilst doing the broadcast for their sport, Nick Dougherty, for example, is terrible for this.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
My other main interest is snooker and there was another final going on luckily because it is in the Far East it odes not get reported on so I have that recorded for today's viewing.
I rarely watch things when I already know the result.

One of my hates with Sky is how many of the commentators give out results of other sports, verbally, whilst doing the broadcast for their sport, Nick Dougherty, for example, is terrible for this.
I would imagine that the number of people recording sporting events has dwindled to a very low number these days. Given that mostly households have multiple screens, and the ability to stream live TV anywhere you are. And the prevalence of social media makes it near-impossible to avoid finding out the result of something.

I could never record something like a football match and watch it later anyway. Tried once or twice years ago, but if I know it's already happened then I just wanted to know the result immediately. Not knowing annoys me, just couldn't get into it the same as if it were live.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I cancelled my Sky Sports a couple of years ago as I realised that I didn't really watch enough to justify it. My missus and I had been watching the BBC highlights (she is not a golf fan), and she enjoyed it so much that she got me to take out the Now TV 1 day subscription to watch the final day. A good choice as the final day of the Open made really good viewing. Even she enjoyed it.