WHS Part 2

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I suppose at 37 you just go back to 1, etc? Although in theory you should take three shots on the the stroke 19 hole since the same must apply to your third shot as applied to your second shot and not wanting to give 3 shots on par 3s. Not sure about that one.
At present the GA handicap limits are 36 for men and 45 for women. Oddly the GA Handicap system makes no mention of how to handle handicaps over 36.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Generally, a high marker will find it relatively easy to make a bogey on a par 3 and therefore it would be too generous to allocate two handicap strokes on those holes.
I've never understood this dogma that par 3s are easy.
It irritates me that many golf courses I play insist on putting the higher SIs on their par 3 holes.
Troon's Postage Stamp has a SI of 18, for heaven's sake! (Not that I've played it, just giving an example).

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It irritates me that many golf courses I play insist on putting the higher SIs on their par 3 holes.
Troon's Postage Stamp has a SI of 18, for heaven's sake! (Not that I've played it, just giving an example).
I understand it, if it's a short or medium length par 3. Longer par 4s tend to have the low SI's because some people may not be able to reach them in regulation, whereas a par 3 that should never be an issue because you can simply go up a club or two. I actually think it's a good system to be fair. If you are someone getting two shots on some holes, you'd probably rather take them on the longer holes.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
whereas a par 3 that should never be an issue because you can simply go up a club or two.
A bogey player is assumed to drive about 200 yards. I suggest that many skilful seniors will struggle with a 200 yard par 3. The length range of a par 3 extends to 260 yards
Of course the 17th at Sawgrass is only 137 yards and look how many pros don't make that green in 1.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
A bogey player is assumed to drive about 200 yards. I suggest that many skilful seniors will struggle with a 200 yard par 3. The length range of a par 3 extends to 260 yards
Of course the 17th at Sawgrass is only 137 yards and look how many pros don't make that green in 1.
I did say short or medium par 3s at the top of the post. The majority are not 200 yards, I'd say most are between 130-160.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site

It's only 123 yards from the championship tees, hardly a hardship or an incredibly difficult hole. Even high handicap golfers can hit a ball 120 yards!!

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
It's only 123 yards from the championship tees, hardly a hardship or an incredibly difficult hole. Even high handicap golfers can hit a ball 120 yards!!
Have you ever considered that perhaps length is not the only thing that makes a hole difficult?