A friendly introduction at prospective new course........

granters

Q-School Graduate
www.theirvinegolfclub.co.uk
Today 4 of us arrived at our prospective new club for next season for a round. We got a complimentary round, which was generous, and we all genuinely want to join a club together so we have plenty of playing partners. So in the car park, we were waiting about for the late one and a friendly chap jaunts over and says" are you members here boys". My brother told him we were thinking about joining and he rather abruptly butts in and says "you can't change your shoes in the car park" and stormed off. Now it wasn't the fact he said it, it was the manner in which he said it. He was plain rude and obnoxious.

Where we meant to change our shoes?

So off to a really sour start, all pretty peed off before we'd even got to the tee. The club manager apologized in the pro shop and said he was embarrassed by that behavior. I thought these folk were a dying breed to be honest, everyone else was helpful and friendly, and another member made sure we got teed off okay. He was playing with the gentleman who challenged us for the murderous crime of changing our shoes. I think the poor bloke was also embarrassed by his mate when he found out we were thinking about joining.

I wouldn't let that one incident put me off but it's very disappointing, particularly as we clearly witnessed 2 members....erm....changing their shoes in the car park next to us! It seemed the highly strung gentleman didn't want us playing his course. I blame my mate for wearing tartan trousers.

Incidently, our illustrious host went on to top one 20 yards into the trees at the first such was his rage at our blatant disrespect for 100 years of not changing your shoes in the car park, and preceded to hold us up for the entire round in his 3 ball.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
There are people like that at every club. We have one at ours. We like to call him "the mouth". He will quite happily march across 3 fairways to challenge guests who don't live up to his high standards. He is also the type to hold court in the bar telling everybody all about his time in the force, or his latest trip to Portugal. I just ignore him. He/they are in a minority in most clubs.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Some clubs have a rule like this. Not a big fan of of myself, but neither here nor there in the overall scheme of things. As fore the local member, don't worry about him. If you are looking for a club without any such people, you will be looking for a long time.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
I had an incidence once where i was playing a course that I was vaguely considering joining. Decent course but on the way out I came up against one of those barriers that need a key code entering to open. And no one had decided to tell me what it was. And after a minute a gentleman came up behind me and shouted at me 'don't you know the number, all members should know it'. I explained I was a visitor and he then tutted in a 'you shouldn't be here', kind of way, then berated me for not getting the number from the pro shop. I did try and point out I did not know I needed one and finally he reluctantly gave it to me. And I suspect that was only because I had to get out before he did.

As already mentioned I am sure all clubs have these kind of tossers, but they do their club no favours what so ever. I did write to the club to explain this, and they send me a stock letter back that started Dear Mrs..... , when the last time I looked I was a man. Suffice to say they did not get my membership money.

walshawwhippet

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Incidently, our illustrious host went on to top one 20 yards into the trees at the first such was his rage at our blatant disrespect for 100 years of not changing your shoes in the car park, and preceded to hold us up for the entire round in his 3 ball.

Your a better man than me Granters if you kept a straight face after this tee-shot.
I'am afraid i'd have been rolling around the floor :rofl:

granters

Q-School Graduate
Your a better man than me Granters if you kept a straight face after this tee-shot.
I'am afraid i'd have been rolling around the floor :rofl:

I did guffaw and mention "there's that waxxxxer in the trees", then belted one up the middle myself. I can only assume he thought we were a bunch of nov ices. My bro and I both play off 5. Why are this type always terrible at the game?
Anyway,ain't getting my knickers in a twist about it,rules are rules but I'd never treat anyone like that,particularly if they were thinking about joining my club

walshawwhippet

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As has already been mentioned every club seems to have at least one.
No better way to shut them up than what you did.
If you do decide to join perhaps you an your kid could offer to show him a few pointers. :whistle:

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Sounds like a members who's up his own arse,there are as you will no doubt know plenty of them about so I wouldn't let it put you off.

Indecently you are welcome to change your shoes in the car park surely?

If not I honestly would not join,I have not used my locker room in about 15 years but still own a locker and use the clubhouse and as a club manager I wish there were more people like me about.

granters

Q-School Graduate
Sounds like a members who's up his own arse,there are as you will no doubt know plenty of them about so I wouldn't let it put you off.

Indecently you are welcome to change your shoes in the car park surely?

If not I honestly would not join,I have not used my locker room in about 15 years but still own a locker and use the clubhouse and as a club manager I wish there were more people like me about.

Exactly dodger. I've only been in our locker room 3 or 4 times. Always change my shoes in the car park,have played far more illustrious courses than that and never once had a complaint. The guy must have a small tadger or something,and high blood pressure I imagine. He's probably writing a very angry letter to the committee as we speak

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We have the no changing in the car park rule but it is so flagrantly ignored. We have a contingent of car park golfers who dare not venture in the 19th for love nor money. I'm pleased the manager apologised and seemed mortified at the behaviour of the member and I wouldn't let the behaviour of one moron put you off joining if the rest of the course and club tick your boxes

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
We have the no changing in the car park rule but it is so flagrantly ignored. We have a contingent of car park golfers who dare not venture in the 19th for love nor money. I'm pleased the manager apologised and seemed mortified at the behaviour of the member and I wouldn't let the behaviour of one moron put you off joining if the rest of the course and club tick your boxes

Homer,can I ask you if you know why on earth your club have this rule?

Draconian in it's extreme IMO.

T

thecraw

Na, the place over the dam begining with P! Very wet and spongey but enjoyed it. More varied than fereneze

Just be aware that Paisley is a very busy course. Big taxi owners club. I like Paisley, decent track, better than Fereneze if I'm being honest.