A friendly introduction at prospective new course........

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
My club has a nice locker room with seats and everything so you can change your shoes in comfort. You can also change your trousers, shirt, socks, shreddies as well. We also have a car park where you can park your car.

When I wore a younger mans clothes I was a reasonable Rugby player, our ground had a car park where I parked my car, they also had a changing room where I put on my kit and boots. Come to think of it I also changed into my squash kit and shoes in the changing rooms and parked my car in the car park.

Now in all these sports I cant remember anyone changing in the car park, I cant remember anyone getting agitated about it either. So! Is it a golf thing where changing shoes in a changing room becomes an act held over from the spanish inquisition?

There are indeed Golf Clubs that are happy for you to change in the car park, they probably also let you wear jeans and trainers and use your mobile phone in the club house. If thats the environment you like to play golf in then the worlds your Oyster, go out there and find the club that dovetails with your expectations.
I haven't ever turn up to golf in non-golfing clothing, then go to a changing room to change into golfing trousers and polo tops. I did for football, cricket and squash though. And because I was changing the rest of my outfit, changing shoes was an obvious thing to do in the changing room too. Plus I wouldn't fancy walking on tarmac/paving in football studs!!!

With golf the only thing that I need to "change into" is my shoes. So I do that in the car park. Unless I know there is a rule forbidding it. Then I accept the rule and change where I am supposed to.

I'm captain next year, and I'll still be changing my shoes in the car park.

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
i get the hump when i see people changing shoes etc on the car park it looks a bit muni'ish,we have a great changing room and a shoe cleaner so no need to take shoes off and bang them on the floor in the car park to get the crud off,we also have a rule about not parking commercial vehicles on the main car park and this causes some resentment amongst societies who turn up in vans and pickup trucks etc but rules is rules and why should standards be dropped for a few.

triple_bogey

Tour Rookie
Visit site
i get the hump when i see people changing shoes etc on the car park it looks a bit muni'ish,we have a great changing room and a shoe cleaner so no need to take shoes off and bang them on the floor in the car park to get the crud off,we also have a rule about not parking commercial vehicles on the main car park and this causes some resentment amongst societies who turn up in vans and pickup trucks etc but rules is rules and why should standards be dropped for a few.

WOW!!

drutz

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Ok I understand the shoe one. But what about the self employed guy in his works van, which is his only mode of transport. Your sying to him, who could be a great asset to the club no you can't drive up and park your vehicle. That to me is nothing but elitism.

Deke

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Snobbish nonsense! Muni'ish,get a grip man!

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

For me that post captures everything that is wrong within the game of golf.

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site

Does commercial vehicles include 4x4's technically a working vehicle? I'll bet not but if you're going to include pickups 4x4's should be on the list too!

triple_bogey

Tour Rookie
Visit site
TBH, I would had thought clubs would welcome vans/pickup trucks as not to clog up their carparks just so the snobbish members have more space to park their supercars.
And also encourage less pollution etc...........:)

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site

Changing shoes is ok imo but banging shoes on the car park does annoy me too because weve got a perfectly good shoe cleaner as you leave the course and enter the car park. The other part about commercial vehicles is the most ridiculous thing ive ever heard and the sort of nonsense that puts a lot of people off playing golf.

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site

Presumably one gets one's man servant to go and have a word with these oiks

walshawwhippet

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Have you stopped laughing yet? :thup:
Or is sixinch an exageration.

jimbob.someroo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
i park my wee £4k berlingo van next to £130k bentleys at my club, thats how we roll in Ayrshire

I'm exactly the same at my club. There are some beautiful and very very expensive cars at our club but it is the most down-to-earth place I've played, let alone been a member at. Sure there's a couple of people who would like to apply club rules a little more harshly but you get that everywhere.

I can sort of understand the changing in the car park thing if it's a ridiculously nice / exclusive club. However, 95% of courses have at least a couple of members who just want to turn up, play 18 then leave and to force them to go into the club house just to change shoes seems a bit daft.

the hammer

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

I go to golf straight from work, I'm a groundworker, (diggers, dumpers,drains and dirty type things).I dont take off my steel toe cap boots in the car park because im not allowed. I park dirty fiat ducato van in the car park. often next to the pros bmw, sometimes the captains range rover.Why should that be a problem,i cant get wheel barrows, tools ,and the clubs in our bmw. I then get changed in the locker room that i paid £600 to join and £800 /year to use,because thats whats its for. When i had my interview for membership (and the club is fully subscribed) it was pointed out there was postmen,doctors,builders, solicitors,firemen,lorry drivers,etc.etc.
All walks of life, which makes the club the success that it is. I think the days of attitudes like yours are numbered...

JPH

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

rules are rules