A friendly introduction at prospective new course........

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
The grumpy member in OP was out of order if if there was a rule.

But as regards such rules - we have a no changing shoes in car park rule. And I've never seen anyone break it. Not even the plumbers and builders who we let in as members. With their vans. As for those occasional visitors we force into the locker room, of course we are not going to provide you with a locker. But since we only let decent people in, we know you can leave your shoes, completely unattended, without risk of them being nicked. Not even by the builders. You need not worry at all about leaving your expensive trainers in the locker room - if you had them we wouldn't let you through the gate in the first place.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
The grumpy member in OP was out of order if if there was a rule.

But as regards such rules - we have a no changing shoes in car park rule. And I've never seen anyone break it. Not even the plumbers and builders who we let in as members. With their vans. As for those occasional visitors we force into the locker room, of course we are not going to provide you with a locker. But since we only let decent people in, we know you can leave your shoes, completely unattended, without risk of them being nicked. Not even by the builders. You need not worry at all about leaving your expensive trainers in the locker room - if you had them we wouldn't let you through the gate in the first place.

As a new member to the board I as assuming this is a p**s take?

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Aaah, Ashton In Makerfield Golf Club... You've just got to love their ambition haven't you.:clap: On the plus side, the pro shop is good and is a stockist for Tour Edge, so it's not all bad.....
got to have some standards bluewolf,what about our club house and course how do you rate those now we have had the work done.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
got to have some standards bluewolf,what about our club house and course how do you rate those now we have had the work done.

I've got to he honest mate, last time I played your gaff I didn't use the clubhouse as I was in a major rush to pick up the kids. I enjoyed the course but didn't see it at its best due to the heavy rain which had just stopped. The new holes need some bedding in, but will be good once they do. How's the 18th now? When I played it was the short dogleg, but I believe that the real 18th was still being worked on.
On another note, why did you leave Houghwood? A few of us are looking at it as ours has been closed more often than its been open this year. They've agreed to compromise on the joining fee so its not looking like a bad option.

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've got to he honest mate, last time I played your gaff I didn't use the clubhouse as I was in a major rush to pick up the kids. I enjoyed the course but didn't see it at its best due to the heavy rain which had just stopped. The new holes need some bedding in, but will be good once they do. How's the 18th now? When I played it was the short dogleg, but I believe that the real 18th was still being worked on.
On another note, why did you leave Houghwood? A few of us are looking at it as ours has been closed more often than its been open this year. They've agreed to compromise on the joining fee so its not looking like a bad option.
HOUGHWOOD was getting a bit of a club within a club and seemed hell bent on just making money,couldn't just turn up and play as you had to pre-book (unlike ASHTON)being very hilly it wasn't a case of a quick 9 after work and the feel of the place had changed when a lot of members left.

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
For those who regular play at "away" courses, if you dont have a locker, cant you just leave your shoes under the benches or in the shoe spaces in the changing room, rather than trawling them back to the car?

My OH left his shoes under bench when playing at very smart club in Surrey.
After his round, he noticed that his shoes had been polished!

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
Aaah, Ashton In Makerfield Golf Club... You've just got to love their ambition haven't you.:clap: On the plus side, the pro shop is good and is a stockist for Tour Edge, so it's not all bad.....

They do say on their website under visitors, that the changing of dress in car park is not permitted.
But I was more amused by this one:
Gentlemen are required not to wear leather

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
They do say on their website under visitors, that the changing of dress in car park is not permitted.
But I was more amused by this one:
Gentlemen are required not to wear leather

And, from my reading, visitors are not allowed to wear "shirts with large logos" but this restriction does not apply to members who, however, must have shirts tucked into trousers at all times both on and off the course and must "wear headgear in the correct manner".

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
My OH left his shoes under bench when playing at very smart club in Surrey.
After his round, he noticed that his shoes had been polished!

Happened to me once - at the Richmond GC in Surrey. Only I'd come away from a muddy site visit in a hurry and they were in a filthy state. With a hole in them. Intended to give them a wipe over after coming back off the course. Nearly died when I saw they'd been cleaned. I have this image in mind of the steward holding them in two fingers at arms length - with a rather disgusted look on his face.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Here is an actual sign posted at a golf club

1. BACK STRAIGHT, KNEES BENT, FEET SHOULDER WIDTH APART.
2. FORM A LOOSE GRIP.
3. KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN!
4. AVOID A QUICK BACK SWING.
5. STAY OUT OF THE WATER.
6. TRY NOT TO HIT ANYONE.
7. IF YOU ARE TAKING TOO LONG, LET OTHERS GO AHEAD OF YOU
8. DON'T STAND DIRECTLY IN FRONT OF OTHERS.
9. QUIET PLEASE...WHILE OTHERS ARE PREPARING.
10. DON'T TAKE EXTRA STROKES.

WELL DONE.. NOW, FLUSH THE URINAL, GO OUTSIDE, AND TEE OFF.

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Happened to me once - at the Richmond GC in Surrey. Only I'd come away from a muddy site visit in a hurry and they were in a filthy state. With a hole in them. Intended to give them a wipe over after coming back off the course. Nearly died when I saw they'd been cleaned. I have this image in mind of the steward holding them in two fingers at arms length - with a rather disgusted look on his face.
this also happened to me at a posh club in MANCHESTER played my round with my friends,left my dirty shoes near a sign saying leave golf shoes here and entered the changing rooms,after our lunch we were playing again and went to get my shoes,no sign of them and was well miffed stormed into the pro shop ranting about someone nicking my shoes,the chap who plays ken barlow in coronation st came over and asked me if i had looked in the locker room,right enough there were my shoes all clean and sparkly and the missing spike replaced,they also had a cardboard freshener inside,i wish the ground could have swallowed me up,the pro came over and i was expecting a bolloc8ing but he gave me a couple of balls some tees and a ball marker for my inconvenience,proper club but god knows how much it is a year.

T

thecraw

a guy cleaned my clubs at Skibo.

At a pub golf outing many moons ago we were all partaking in a few light refreshments on the bus to Largs. One dobber didn't want to drink until after the golf even although it was just a local muni (Routenburn is a nice track by the way, I'm not knocking it at all!) we were playing and nothing to get hoitty toitty over. Anyway this guy gets off the bus declaring that he was easily going to win the day as we were all half cut.

As this dobber went for a comfort break a bottle of cooking oil was produced from God knows where and poured down the inside of his golf bag plus the entire contents of a bottle of sun tan lotion. That was a leveller and then some!!!

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
At a pub golf outing many moons ago we were all partaking in a few light refreshments on the bus to Largs. One dobber didn't want to drink until after the golf even although it was just a local muni (Routenburn is a nice track by the way, I'm not knocking it at all!) we were playing and nothing to get hoity toity over. Anyway this guy gets off the bus declaring that he was easily going to win the day as we were all half cut.

As this dobber went for a comfort break a bottle of cooking oil was produced from God knows where and poured down the inside of his golf bag plus the entire contents of a bottle of sun tan lotion. That was a leveller and then some!!!
so what your saying is because this chap didn't wish to stoop to the level of getting drunk prior to playing someone else's course were you were visitors,you thought it ok to spoil the chaps day and enjoyment,hope everyone had a good laugh maybe we could do it to your kit at the next forum meet,and we could all have a laugh at your expense.

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
At a pub golf outing many moons ago we were all partaking in a few light refreshments on the bus to Largs. One dobber didn't want to drink until after the golf even although it was just a local muni (Routenburn is a nice track by the way, I'm not knocking it at all!) we were playing and nothing to get hoitty toitty over. Anyway this guy gets off the bus declaring that he was easily going to win the day as we were all half cut.

and jesus wept

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
so what your saying is because this chap didn't wish to stoop to the level of getting drunk prior to playing someone else's course were you were visitors,you thought it ok to spoil the chaps day and enjoyment,hope everyone had a good laugh maybe we could do it to your kit at the next forum meet,and we could all have a laugh at your expense.

And ruin the guys golf bag!!