What can / cant you forgive at a new course.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sweet jebus, I absolutely had that in "urban myth" category.

Did they make you stand for the national anthem before food arrived....

Not far off.

Admittedly these incidents are rare but these rules are alive and well at a small number of clubs.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Youve actually witnessed someone being pulled up for unsuitable socks!?

Committe member once stood and watched me see all the players tee off in our society day at Dewsbury District a good few years ago, and as soon as I teed my ball up he walked over and told me I couldn't play in ankle socks. There was a big group of the Friday club who's tee time we'd interrupted (they never booked it, just assumed it would be free) with him, and I suspect hecwas hoping to disrupt my round by having to let them tee off while I went to the pros shop.
Fortunately I had some knee length socks and changed them there and then.
An hour later he struck a ball straight at me with no fore shout. Absolute bell end.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yeah at least twice. My mate also told me how he went to play somewhere with a society, had dark socks on to match his dark shorts and shoes, and they ordered him to purchase white socks from the pro shop or they wouldn't let him play. That even made him 5 minutes late for his tee time.

Edit: Let's move on, I didn't mean to make this into another sock topic and I apologise - I was just adding a tongue in cheek response, haha.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Committe member once stood and watched me see all the players tee off in our society day at Dewsbury District a good few years ago, and as soon as I teed my ball up he walked over and told me I couldn't play in ankle socks. There was a big group of the Friday club who's tee time we'd interrupted (they never booked it, just assumed it would be free) with him, and I suspect hecwas hoping to disrupt my round by having to let them tee off while I went to the pros shop.
Fortunately I had some knee length socks and changed them there and then.
An hour later he struck a ball straight at me with no fore shout. Absolute bell end.

How high was his shot - ankle height or knee height?

D-S

Visit site
Course/greens maintenance - I can accept it when the club warns me before I book and, perhaps, offers discount. I can’t accept it when they don’t tell you.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Things I cannot forget:

* the sock debate, if you are wearing footjoy ankle socks how can they not be suitable? It’s even worse when you buy socks from their pro shop only to be told you cannot wear them!!! ??‍♂️???

* overused and tees that are not level. If it’s overused move the dam markers to the front of the tee during the week protecting the backward position for weekends! And tee markers that are not put out square to the whole, lining up to markers that point at misses miggins skiddy bloomers is not cool!

Things I can forget……. I’ve already forgotten!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes, it happened to me just a few years ago. I had the correct ones with me, ankles on display were too saucy for this club ?, but I went into the pro shop before changing and was pulled up the moment I stepped inside. Very hard not to roll my eyes or not chuckle at the absurdity of it all.

Steve Wilkes

Visit site
Things I cannot forget:

* the sock debate, if you are wearing footjoy ankle socks how can they not be suitable? It’s even worse when you buy socks from their pro shop only to be told you cannot wear them!!! ??‍♂️???

* overused and tees that are not level. If it’s overused move the dam markers to the front of the tee during the week protecting the backward position for weekends! And tee markers that are not put out square to the whole, lining up to markers that point at misses miggins skiddy bloomers is not cool!

Things I can forget……. I’ve already forgotten!

Bit in Bold , This is what happened to a Playing Partner of mine at Mid Kent a few years back, We played 18 in the morning and at lunch he went to the pro shop to buy a new pair. He went into the changing room to put them on. On the way to the first tee the guy who sold them came out of the shop and said you can't wear that colour sock with shorts

Last edited:

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
If by "new course" you mean somewhere you are playing for the first time, then the thing I can't forgive is being spoken to in a condescending manner by any member of staff or any playing member.

Agree with that and I would add that, whilst not something that would be a deal breaker, having a half empty members car park and being asked to park miles away in a visitors car park is not exactly welcoming.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Bit in Bold , This is what happened to a Playing Partner of mine at Mid Kent a few years back, We played 18 in the morning and at lunch he went to the pro shop to buy a new pair. He went into the changing room to put them on. On the way to the first tee the guy who sold them came out of the shop and said you can't wear that colour sock with shorts

It happened to me a cherry lodge, the neighbouring course.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
My mate got forced to buy a pair of suitable socks or couldn't play
My 'deficiency' was pointed out very diplomatically at RSG the first time I played it.
Not a problem to purchase a suitable pair of long white ones. I still have then as they've only been used 3 times!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Oh, and I forgot one of the 'can't stand' issues for brand new courses. Stones just under the surface of fairways!
Early golfing days, our work group at work in Tunbridge Wells went to a course that had just opened just off the M20 that I can't find on map, nor remember the name of it - in/nearish to a newish development near an historic airport near Ashford from v dodgy memory. Stones just under the fairway surface were invisible but caused havoc when striking the ball and dangerous to both clubs and folk nearby.

Steve Wilkes

Visit site
Oh, and I forgot one of the 'can't stand' issues for brand new courses. Stones just under the surface of fairways!
Early golfing days, our work group at work in Tunbridge Wells went to a course that had just opened just off the M20 that I can't find on map, nor remember the name of it - in/nearish to a newish development near an historic airport near Ashford from v dodgy memory. Stones just under the fairway surface were invisible but caused havoc when striking the ball and dangerous to both clubs and folk nearby.

was it Lullingstone Golf Course , It was known for it years ago, but I must say never had a problem in more recent times

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
was it Lullingstone Golf Course , It was known for it years ago, but I must say never had a problem in more recent times
Nope. Might have been Kings Hill. The name rings a bell, it's in the right area and its opening date seems to fit. It was about 25 years (or more) ago and I/we only played it once!