Well done, Andy Murray

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Mixed feelings about Wimbledon. Living there it use to be a nightmare at this time of year trying to get anywhere or do any shopping but the talent in the local pubs and waling past the pros shop on the common every morning kinda made up for it.

I can still remember my time as a ball boy in 1981. Two weeks of intense training under Major Phil King at the All England and trying to get into the final 200 selected for the first week. I got in and did two outsiders on court 10 on day 2 and a mixed doubles on court 3 on day 4. I wasn't called back for week two but my mums still got my purple and green outfit (they were quartered patterned tops - think Bristol Rovers shirts for the footie fans) and green shorts.

Gustavo

Head Pro
Visit site
Murray's kit looks nice and classy this year -

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2009/jun/15/andy-murray-fred-perry-kit-wimbledon

Could it be an omen, the nice 'Fred Perry' kit he's wearing ??

If he 'does' win Wimbledon, it would be better for him if he beat a fit Nadal or Federer.

Some comments in regards to the previous posts -

I am actually Rhodesian, adopted by Welsh parents (father from Newport, mother from Milford Haven) I was born in 1977, my family tried to move to Australia (my father was in the gold mining business ) but the Australian government wouldn't let me in the country because I was from a rebel state - Rhodesia was in the middle of turning itself into Zimbabwe. I was classes as a terrorist threat, at the age of 4 months old !!

I've lived in Cardiff since the age of 2, (30 years) I class myself as Welsh now, although I am officially a British Citizen, not Welsh.

I support England football for two reasons ;

1 Wales are crap.

2 Cardiff City play in the English league and our goal is to get to the English Premier League. The English football league is represented nationally by the English football team, so I will support them. Besides, most of our players are English, as is the manager, coaches, chairman etc etc.

On the subject of devolution - I wholeheartedly disagreed with the idea, and still do.

I may support the English Football team, but I absolutely hate, with a passion, more than I can ever get across to anyone of you reading this, absolutely hate with pure hatred - the English Rugby Team. I WILL SUPPORT WHOEVER IS PLAYING THEM !!!! Go Argentina !!!

Any questions ?? :D

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
I may support the English Football team, but I absolutely hate, with a passion, more than I can ever get across to anyone of you reading this, absolutely hate with pure hatred - the English Rugby Team. I WILL SUPPORT WHOEVER IS PLAYING THEM !!!! Go Argentina !!!

Any questions ?? :D

And people wonder why they get stereo-typed?

I don't care which of our 'countries' is playing at whatever sport. If someone (or team) from this island does well, it should be supported by us all. This whole 'hate' this or that is just antiganistic / racist tosh.

Yes, we may have a joke or a laugh about the football, rugby or whatever. But I'm getting the feeling that there is quite a lot of 'passion' (racism) around all of our sport.

Why are the Welsh and Scottish so anti English? I'd rather not have sport related answers, as to me they're about as well reasoned as most religious arguments.

Gustavo

Head Pro
Visit site
And people wonder why they get stereo-typed

What's that supposed to mean ? I've pointed out that I like the English football team, but really don't like the English Rugby team.

What are you implying about a whole nation or nations ?

I didn't realise that English liked and supported anyone and everyone, that there was no rivalry between neighbouring countries anymore ?

What's your beef with the Welsh or Scottish then ?

I have no gripes with anyone from anywhere, so please don't imply that I'm being racist.

Mate, whatever you do chill out.

Or are you just being a typical yacht club snob ?

Gustavo

Head Pro
Visit site
HH, that last sentence was written 100% tongue in cheek to make you raise your eyebrows, and get a reaction.

Just showing what a generalising sweeping statement feels like, a la your comments re the stereotypical Scots and Welsh ! ;) :p

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
"I've pointed out that I like the English football team, but really don't like the English Rugby team."

Bit of a climb down from...

"I absolutely hate, with a passion, more than I can ever get across to anyone of you reading this, absolutely hate with pure hatred - the English Rugby Team. I WILL SUPPORT WHOEVER IS PLAYING THEM "

"I didn't realise that English liked and supported anyone and everyone, that there was no rivalry between neighbouring countries anymore ?"

I'm all for friendly rivalrey. But 'hate'. You won't find that coming from my lips regarding so called friendly rivalries. This whole 'hate' thing is why I don't 'do' football or rugby.

"Or are you just being a typical yacht club snob ?"

No offence taken. I haven't been a member of a yacht club since my early teens as a family member! Though I am a member of a golf club!! :D

EchtLoon

Challenge Tour Pro
www.thehomeofpoker.co.uk
I don't care which of our 'countries' is playing at whatever sport. If someone (or team) from this island does well, it should be supported by us all. This whole 'hate' this or that is just antiganistic / racist tosh.
I can't be bothered taking your arguments to bits, becasue your continued insistence that this is in some way racist, is both offensive, and complete and utter bollocks.

You clearly have no idea in what way what has been said here relates to team sports within these islands, none of it is based on race, and yet as someone who admits to taking no notice of said team sports, you feel you are in a position both to judge, and to preach on how we should feel?

Your ignorance is surpassed only by your arrogance!

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
Hate is a very unpleasant and strong word. To use it when discussing sports and rivalries between countries is inappropiate and 'ist'.

The fact that I don't follow either football or rugby is irrelevant to this discussion. It is the hatred that is being quoted about other teams / countries that I have an issue with.

However, obviously being ignorant and arrogant I only have one option to take. And that is to support any team that plays Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland and hope that they get thrashed as I hate 'em all. Maybe now I won't be accused of not being a patriot!

Perhaps now I'll fit in a bit better!!!!

Second thoughts.

I'd rather be a snob!

EchtLoon

Challenge Tour Pro
www.thehomeofpoker.co.uk
Hate is a very unpleasant and strong word. To use it when discussing sports and rivalries between countries is inappropiate and 'ist'.
You don't 'do' football, you are in no position to judge what is or isn't appropriatte.

The fact that I don't follow either football or rugby is irrelevant to this discussion. It is the hatred that is being quoted about other teams / countries that I have an issue with.
It is relevant, and it's why you're getting all 'ist' about it. This is not the deep south or South African apartheid, it's football rivalries, and people do hate particular teams. The fact you don't 'do' football, means you are getting your knickers in a twist about something you clearly don't understand nor appreciatte.

However, obviously being ignorant and arrogant I only have one option to take. And that is to support any team that plays Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland and hope that they get thrashed as I hate 'em all. Maybe now I won't be accused of not being a patriot!
Best option to take is not to comment on something you don't understand, better to say nothing and be thought a fool, than open your mouth and have it confirmed.

I'd rather be a snob!
Indeed, wouldn't want to be seen getting involved with the oiks!

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
I may not do football. But I have had the misfortune of being caught up in the middle of the uglyist incident to have ever hit Bournemouth from so called supporters of one team that 'hated' another team. No it's not apartheid, but since when does using an extreme example make something lesser right!

I've seen that hate close up and personal, and it's ugly. If you're happy to look at yourself in the mirror and except that you are one of them. Then so be it. There is no discussion to be had. I'm happy at who and what I am, and you are obviously with yourself.

We'll agree to disagree and move on.

Time out?

EchtLoon

Challenge Tour Pro
www.thehomeofpoker.co.uk
This was sound advice
Best option to take is not to comment on something you don't understand, better to say nothing and be thought a fool, than open your mouth and have it confirmed.

But oh dear....
I've seen that hate close up and personal, and it's ugly. If you're happy to look at yourself in the mirror and except that you are one of them. Then so be it. There is no discussion to be had. I'm happy at who and what I am, and you are obviously with yourself.
What a ridiculously prejudiced and nonsensical statement to make. So being a football supporter, a supporter of the most popular game on the planet by a distance, makes me a football hooligan?

It does help explain the nonsense you've posted in this thread mind.

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
No, not all supporters are thugs, not all football supporters hate the opposition. Most, I'm sure, actually appreciate a good game and will conceed that their team got beaten by the better team. That is sportsmanship.

Feeling hate towards another team or person, especially when you don't know the individuals is small-minded, peer pressured stupidity.

Is it any wonder why I turn away from what could be a very enjoyable sport to watch occasionaly.

I'm pleased that you don't think of yourself as a thug. But the direct personal insults have to stop.

In hindsite, having read back through this thread I feel that there was a certain amount of baiting going on. To which I fell for hook, line and sinker. Perhaps in future I'll recognise those that are bait, and decide to leave you all to your own devices.

I appreciate that someone can and does have a different opinion to me. It would be very boring otherwise. And I can see that Echtloon is as strong minded and stubborn as I am. It would appear that our competitiveness falls into debates as well.

Echtloon.

Yes I am bowing out of this one. But please consider this. That no-one has 'won' this. In fact I think that we've both lost.

AndrewG

Assistant Pro
www.a-george.com
Blimey - I need a shower after plodding through this thread !

My dislike of Murray has nothing to do with nationality - its because he flaming miserable. He travels the world, has everything done for him, earns millions, and plays tennis FOR A JOB! I mean, you just want to go up to him when he's got a face on (usually after choking in a match), hold him up against a wall and say "OI, MURRAY, SMILE YOU LUCKY, LUCKY, B*STARD"...

(BTW, having the build of an emaciated twiglet, this would never happen.)

His attitude puts him in a box with ALL sportsmen and women who have this attitude, Poulter, Rooney, Hamilton - GRRRRR.

I've said it before, but I'd have a face like the flipping Joker if I was in their position.

Clansman

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I guess that just shows up the differences then in people who arent bitter & twisted and people who are!

If Scotland, Ireland or Wales are playing anything team related against anyone else I always route for them, maybe I am slightly British afterall but I would never want to see any of them get beat.

Maybe its because you Scots have an inferiority complex over your 2nd rate teams to ours that propells you to dislike us? ;)
And there you have why we want your to lose.

Ohhhhhhhhhh its such a vicious circle isnt it? :p

Well done Andy!!

Keefg - the main reason the Scots don't want the England Football team to win is because we will never hear the end of it for another 40+ years - Everytime England play the commentators and English press always seem to bring up the world cup victory in 1966.

EchtLoon

Challenge Tour Pro
www.thehomeofpoker.co.uk
And what, Scottish commentators would just let it go if Scotland had won?
Do you think they'd still bring it up every tiem Scotland played 43 years later like Motty does? Or slip it in with the most tenuous of links to random club matches like he did at the end of the season Fulham v Everton game?

SS2

Tour Rookie
scoresaver.co.uk
Do you think they'd still bring it up every tiem Scotland played 43 years later like Motty does? Or slip it in with the most tenuous of links to random club matches like he did at the end of the season Fulham v Everton game?

If we (Scotland) won the World Cup we would mention it all the time for the rest of time at every possible opportunity so I don't think it is fair to slag off the English for banging on about 1966 (even though it can be slightly galling).

EchtLoon

Challenge Tour Pro
www.thehomeofpoker.co.uk

If we (Scotland) won the World Cup we would mention it all the time for the rest of time at every possible opportunity so I don't think it is fair to slag off the English for banging on about 1966 (even though it can be slightly galling).
Sorry don't agree. Our commentators have always been less partisan than the English, think Bill McLaren then compare to Motty.

For example, Motty's '66 quote (I think, been scratching my head trying to recall what it was?)in that game was that the last time a Fulham player played for England was in 1966.

Now do you honestly think that 43 years after Scotland win the world cup, and it's Falkirk v Motherwell, the commentator will produce unprompted the fascinating fact tthat the last time a Falkirk player played for Scotland was when we won the world cup 43 years ago? I somehow doubt it. That said, there's arguably never been a commentator anywhere as bad as Motty, so unfair to use him as a standard.