Well done, Andy Murray

barb

Head Pro
Visit site
Just watched the final at Queens' and Andy Murray was awesome. It was a well deserved win, pulling out all the stops when needed, great stuff. :D

Being the 1st Brit to win at Queens' for 71 years is a great start in his campaign for the Wimbledon title.

Andy Murray, superb!! :cool:

vig

Tour Winner
Visit site
Does this mean he is a "Brit" now and not a "Scot"

Well done indeed.

He will be a "scot" again though if he gets knocked out of Wimbledon :D ;)

laffalot

Medal Winner
Visit site
Great news indeed. Only caught a few of the games today myself when I got back from the range but he was playing well.

Hopefully he can carry the momentum on into Wimbledon.

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
I really don't follow tennis. Much like the football. (I'm guessing England won against whoever last week, as I haven't seen any news calling for the England's managers head!).

But from the comments above, does Murray not like the English, or does he claim to only represent Scotland, and not the rest of the UK? Or is it that the English press and he just don't get on?

Personally I don't give two hoots if you're from Scotland, Northern Ireland, Wales or England. As a sportsman, you represent your country first. To me, that's Great Britain. Then your 'region'.

Regardless of who or what Andy Murray is. Well done. I don't have to like someone, to recognise their achievments. Especially when I've never met them!

When we go to the Olympics it's Team GB. Does an American sportsman represent the USA or Alabama?

Which brings me to my next question. Yep football.

Why are we (GB) allowed to enter 3 teams into the Euro Cup or World Cup? Surely there should only be one GB team!

KeefG

Journeyman Pro
www.maywoodgolfclub.com
But from the comments above, does Murray not like the English, or does he claim to only represent Scotland, and not the rest of the UK? Or is it that the English press and he just don't get on?

It stems from comments he made before the last footy world cup that he "would support anyone but England". He then came out just before Wimbledon stating that he didnt hate the English at all but its a load of crap, he is anti-English. Prick.

Which brings me to my next question. Yep football.

Why are we (GB) allowed to enter 3 teams into the Euro Cup or World Cup? Surely there should only be one GB team!

3 seperate Football Associations fella, the option of a Team GB was bandied about ages ago, I think it was when Ryan Giggs was in his prime lol. I believe it was the Scottish FA who said no chance as they wanted to keep their identity.

Atticus_Finch

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I hope the guy goes out in the first round! I detest him almost as much as he detests the English.

Abolutely cannot abide him one little iota.

My, my KeefG, such hatred for a man you've never met. I'm pretty sure he's gutted you "detest" him.
If you manage to calm down enough to be able to read, you may want to take a look at this article by the reporter who was interviewed him on the day he made his remarks.

Murrays "Anti English" remarks

Now, this was written by the man WHO WAS THERE! but I don't suppose this will change your opinion of him as I get the feeling there's something more to it than this.

PS, You'll notice I've edited your post to remove the disgusting language.

KeefG

Journeyman Pro
www.maywoodgolfclub.com
I hope the guy goes out in the first round! I detest him almost as much as he detests the English.

Abolutely cannot abide him one little iota.

My, my KeefG, such hatred for a man you've never met. I'm pretty sure he's gutted you "detest" him.
If you manage to calm down enough to be able to read, you may want to take a look at this article by the reporter who was interviewed him on the day he made his remarks.

Murrays "Anti English" remarks

Now, this was written by the man WHO WAS THERE! but I don't suppose this will change your opinion of him as I get the feeling there's something more to it than this.

PS, You'll notice I've edited your post to remove the disgusting language.

My, my Atticus, its not the fact that he hates the English (whether he does, or does not I dont care) why I detest him, he is just one of those characters I just cant stand watching or hearing about.

He is the Ronaldo of Tennis to me and I just plainly have no time whatsoever for the guy.

Again, I dont give a toss whether he hates me, the English or anything else, it is just my personal opinion.

And thanks for editting "my disgusting language", maybe you can be a good mod and edit the rest of the "disgusting language" that keeps popping up here & there but, unbelievable as you may find it, doesnt get touched!

Gustavo

Head Pro
Visit site
Keef Dude, what's going on ?

Murray is an awesome tennis player, to compare him with Ronaldo is an awful thing to do, Ronaldo is a 100% knob, but Murray is the best tennis player we've ever had (apart from Fred Perry).

I suppose it's just a matter of opinion, FWIW I could never stand Tim Henman, boring, bland, and punching above his weight. I always felt he was lucky to do as well as he did at Wimbledon. Henman never had a chance of doing well anywhere abroad, he only did well at Wimbledon. And the Henman fist-pump was pathetic !!

Murray is good on all surfaces, and one year I think he will win a major tennis tournament.

You can't hold it against him for saying someything anti-English, lets be honest here people in the UK are always saying something anti Welsh, Irish, English or Scottish. It's how we are. Just like Americans take the P out of each other's state.

Come on Murray !!!!

KeefG

Journeyman Pro
www.maywoodgolfclub.com
Keef Dude, what's going on ?

Murray is an awesome tennis player, to compare him with Ronaldo is an awful thing to do, Ronaldo is a 100% knob, but Murray is the best tennis player we've ever had

Thats been taken slightly out of context, Murray is nowhere near the doyle that Ronaldo is, I was just saying that's what he is to me....he is my tennis equivalent of Ronaldo in so much as I cant abide him for various reasons.

Atticus_Finch

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My, my Atticus, its not the fact that he hates the English (whether he does, or does not I dont care) why I detest him, he is just one of those characters I just cant stand watching or hearing about.

Why write this then?
"I hope the guy goes out in the first round! I detest him almost as much as he detests the English.

Abolutely cannot abide him one little iota."

He is the Ronaldo of Tennis to me and I just plainly have no time whatsoever for the guy.

Say that then. Don't wheel out the "He hates the English" line when it is patently untrue.

And thanks for editting "my disgusting language", maybe you can be a good mod and edit the rest of the "disgusting language" that keeps popping up here & there but, unbelievable as you may find it, doesnt get touched!

You're welcome. I promise I'll keep a keener eye on the language used on the forum.

And in case you're wondering, I am scottish, but that doesn't take anything away from the pride I have in being British.
We're a damn sight stronger together than apart and it annoys me when people try and drive a wedge between our nations that isn't there.

Peace,

Atticus.

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
I want to congratulate Andy Murray for his little victory the other day and as far as I am concerned he is a great role model for the youth of today. He is someone who has experienced and witnessed things an adult should never have to see or go through (he was in Dunblane Primary when the children were murdered).

He isnt a rock start who gets adulation for being a smack head and beating girls up.

He doesn't cavort about for the papz on a boat with some bint either.

He is a professional sportsman who's goal is to be the greatest tennis player in the world and for that their are people wanting to chip away at his foundations.

KeefG

Journeyman Pro
www.maywoodgolfclub.com
Say that then. Don't wheel out the "He hates the English" line when it is patently untrue.

How can you be so sure he doesnt hate the English? Do you know him personally? No? Thought not.

And in case you're wondering, I am scottish, but that doesn't take anything away from the pride I have in being British.
We're a damn sight stronger together than apart and it annoys me when people try and drive a wedge between our nations that isn't there.

Peace,

Atticus.

I have extreme pride in being English personally, I have nothing at all against the Scots, Welsh or Irish but this whole British thing died out just after the Queens Silver Jubilee. This so called "wedge" of yours....there is no smoke without fire!!

How often do you see the Union Jack these days? Even churches that used to fly them have now started flying the St Georges Cross instead.

You may feel we're a lot stronger together, but I dare say the vast majority of your kin folk disagree, especially the politicans who are doing everything possible to keep everything Scottish, Welsh & Irish seperate to what is English, what with their respective assemblies being knocked together etc.

Sorry Atticus, I have respect for what you post most of the time but on this occasion you are wide of the mark my friend, this whole British thing is so 1970's!

Atticus_Finch

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You may feel we're a lot stronger together, but I dare say the vast majority of your kin folk disagree, especially the politicans who are doing everything possible to keep everything Scottish, Welsh & Irish seperate to what is English, what with their respective assemblies being knocked together etc.

Don't believe all you here from the politicians Keef, I pretty sure if they had a referendum on independence, the result would be similar to what it was in 1979. We're not all sassenach hating haggis munchers up here you know, some of us actually have a little affection for you.
In my opinion, we should be fighting to keep the union together and telling the politicos that it's not what we want.
Unless of course, Keef, you do? And in that case, we'll agree to differing opinions.

PS, Go Andy :D ;)

EchtLoon

Challenge Tour Pro
www.thehomeofpoker.co.uk
Don't believe all you here from the politicians Keef, I pretty sure if they had a referendum on independence, the result would be similar to what it was in 1979. We're not all sassenach hating haggis munchers up here you know, some of us actually have a little affection for you.
In my opinion, we should be fighting to keep the union together and telling the politicos that it's not what we want.
Unless of course, Keef, you do? And in that case, we'll agree to differing opinions.

What has that got to do with wanting independence Atticus?

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
The reason people dont fly the Jack is because it has been hijacked by racists and thugs. I was in England for the 2002 and 2006 world cups and loved all the flags on cars, pubs and houses so I for one am not anti English and have been verbally abused by English customers in the past.

One old guy in Wigan moaned that we (the sweaty socks) came over the border and took all their money back north. To which I agreed and informed him that once it gets back north it gets spent in Asda, Tesco, M&S, Argos and the likes and comes zooming back south again.

Atticus_Finch

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Nothing Echtloon, Nothing at all. Just trying to lighten the mood a bit. Sorry if it offends.

EchtLoon

Challenge Tour Pro
www.thehomeofpoker.co.uk

Nothing Echtloon, Nothing at all. Just trying to lighten the mood a bit. Sorry if it offends.
Sadly you failed. If you lived in England, you'd understand that this is the only reason Scots want independence as far as many English are concerned.