Provisional ball query

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played today in a singles rabbit's match and was well beaten, didn't play well at all. On the 17th I was 2 down so needed to win both holes to take it to a play off. My opponents 3rd shot into the green because of the wind went into the thick stuff/gorse greenside so he hit another (the provisional) and it went in the same direction but in the shorter greenside stuff/gorse. As we walked up I put my back down to get my putter and he played the provisional ball before looking for the 1st ball and hit 12 foot from the hole, then went to look for the 1st ball.

We didn't find it but what would have happened if we'd have found it even though the provisional had already been played?

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I believe the provisional ball can be played if it hasn't landed near where the original ball landed before going to look, if you play it again then it's the ball in play, if you find the original then the provisional is discarded regardless of where it is

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Depends on whether the provisional was closer to the hole than where you thought the original might be lost. If so the provisional automatically becomes the ball in play and the original even if found becomes irrelevant.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Rule 27-2B

The player may play a provisional ball until he reaches the place where the original ball is likely to be. If he makes a stroke with the provisional ball from the place where the original ball is likely to be or from a point nearer the hole than that place, the original ball is lost and the provisional ball becomes the ball in play under penalty of stroke and distance (Rule 27-1).

*TQ*

Club Champion
Visit site
I'm fairly sure if he's holed out the provisional but then found the first ball he would have to play the first and discard the provisional which would be rather annoying!

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm fairly sure if he's holed out the provisional but then found the first ball he would have to play the first and discard the provisional which would be rather annoying!

Not that simple:

27-2b/2

When Provisional Ball Holed Becomes Ball in Play

Q.At a short hole, A's tee shot may be out of bounds or lost, so he plays a provisional ball, which he holes. A does not wish to look for his original ball. B, A's opponent or a fellow-competitor, goes to look for the original ball. When does the provisional ball become the ball in play?

A.In equity (Rule 1-4) the provisional ball becomes the ball in play as soon as A picks it out of the hole, provided his original ball has not already been found in bounds within five minutes of B starting to search for it.

*TQ*

Club Champion
Visit site
Not that simple:

27-2b/2

When Provisional Ball Holed Becomes Ball in Play

Q.At a short hole, A's tee shot may be out of bounds or lost, so he plays a provisional ball, which he holes. A does not wish to look for his original ball. B, A's opponent or a fellow-competitor, goes to look for the original ball. When does the provisional ball become the ball in play?

A.In equity (Rule 1-4) the provisional ball becomes the ball in play as soon as A picks it out of the hole, provided his original ball has not already been found in bounds within five minutes of B starting to search for it.

Really? Queue part of the celebration being a mad sprint towards the hole to get the ball before your first is found!

*TQ*

Club Champion
Visit site
You'd only be celebrating a par if you lost your first OOB but then holed you 'three off the tee' but I know I would be happy!