Updating course status

Mandofred

Visit site
One of my last courses did it before 7am. And....if you were signed up for it got a text to your mobile as soon as they made the decision. Currently it's about 7am....but you have to log in to the site before you can check it.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Each course will have its own area that is always the worst to suffer from the wet.

I would anticipate the green keepers would head out to this area first and base their decision on that, so with a buggy and a mobile phone, you should be able to publish a decision within 15 minutes of the GK starting work.

In theory, ok it might take a while to go round each hole to assess if on a temp or not, but a simple
“Open” or “ Open with some Temp Greens” is all the players need to know at that point in time

The above is for rain.

For fog, have a marker on the hole nearest the green keepers hut, if they can’t see it, then it’s too dangerous to play.

Frost, (if your course closes for frost)look at the green nearest the green keepers hut. Unless you have a frost pocket

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
But they cant just turn up and eamil out without going around the course to check it can they?
That in itself takes 30 mins or so.
Personally, I think you're being unreasonable to expect anything before that at this time of year.
I’m not being unreasonable. If they start at 6am and it takes 30 mins to do a course check, the course update will be published by 6.30am. That is an hour before the first competition tee time of 7.30am. Which will prevent any of the issues experienced today.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ours has been pretty good this week. 6.36, 6.58, 6.24, 6.41, 6.24, 6.14 and 6.02. Pretty happy with that, have known it to be a lot later, particularly in the middle of winter which is understandable when it's pitch black until 8am!
Fair play to them. I'm never up or out that early so I've never checked precisely.

D

Deleted member 15344

I’m not being unreasonable. If they start at 6am and it takes 30 mins to do a course check, the course update will be published by 6.30am. That is an hour before the first competition tee time of 7.30am. Which will prevent any of the issues experienced today.
30 mins isn’t long to check a course , ours takes an hour to check

JayB

Visit site
My previous club normally updates daily before 6am, plenty of time before the first group tee's off.

The club I moved to and then changed my mind and got a refund don't post an update anywhere. The only way to find out would be to call the pro shop or office, which isn't much use if going off early.

D

Deleted member 15344

Does it? Bunkermagnet’s course only takes 30 mins. I’d suggest only the holes/sections most prone and/or affected really need checking - not all 18 holes.

It’s all down to the course layout , overnight conditions- it’s not an exact figure

But 30 mins is plenty time before the first tee time

D

Deleted member 15344

How is 30 mins plenty of time? That is a a bit of an obtuse statement. What if it takes longer than 30 mins to drive to the course and get sorted?

That not the green staffs fault that someone lives far away - that’s the risk someone takes.

It’s mainly during the winter and it’s your own judgment call , if you think there is a chance it could be closed then it’s a call you make

The priority will always to get the course playable as opposed to giving someone more notice just so they can have longer to prepare

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
That not the green staffs fault that someone lives far away - that’s the risk someone takes.

It’s mainly during the winter and it’s your own judgment call , if you think there is a chance it could be closed then it’s a call you make

The priority will always to get the course playable as opposed to giving someone more notice just so they can have longer to prepare
I agree that the condition of the course should take priority. The greens staff are there to look after the course for the members. And are paid for their trouble. They should cater for members. I don’t disagree that they should make the call to close the course when appropriate. However, in my opinion 30 mins notice is not sufficient. If it is for you - great!

Out of interest. How far do you live from your course? How long do you arrive before your posted tee time for a competition?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
If it's à competition day then I don't think it's unreasonable to post any change to the course status an hour before the first time.
Assuming the course is open, the Greenkeepers will have been working for, at least, an hour or more before the first tee time so they can get the course ready..
Especially if, like us, you have a 2 tee start - it's not like they can cut greens 1-18 as the competition will have started before they get to the back 9.
Each course is different though.
When we were members at Whipsnade it was a 25 minute drive...usually the status was updated early enough butn2 or 3 times we got there to find it closed.
Waste of an hour....
Status should be updated as soon as possible to give the maximum amount of time for people to react accordingly.

D

Deleted member 15344

I agree that the condition of the course should take priority. The greens staff are there to look after the course for the members. And are paid for their trouble. They should cater for members. I don’t disagree that they should make the call to close the course when appropriate. However, in my opinion 30 mins notice is not sufficient. If it is for you - great!

Out of interest. How far do you live from your course? How long do you arrive before your posted tee time for a competition?

I get to the club 20-30 mins before my tee time

It takes me 10 mins to get to club , in winter when there is a chance it will close I’ll wait until the email is out

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
For fog, have a marker on the hole nearest the green keepers hut, if they can’t see it, then it’s too dangerous to play.
Club Rule.

If you can't see the willow tree on the 18th hole from the first tee, you must not start.
The pro shop, from where you can see both, monitors it but will usually put out a sign.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Varies between 6 and 7 for us but we play after 9 so not an issue.

I would say your issue is more impactful for most players who are members of muddy courses due to the rain.